Software to Manage Race on Multiple Tracks?

Discussions on race preparation, race management, sound effects, and other race related software. This is only for software provided by our sponsor, GrandPrix Software Central.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Software to Manage Race on Multiple Tracks?

Post by Stan Pope »

gpraceman wrote:If the two computers are networked, then the data can be consolidated in one data file, which makes reporting final results easy. If the computers are not networked, then you would need to find a way to combine the data from two data files (functionality that may be added to V8 ).
That is better than I hoped for, Randy! I'll include that option in the study report!

In the networked case, is consolidation accomplished by appending files from both computers, e.g.with "notepad", into one file for reporting? Or are both computers working in the same file?

With WIFI is so common anymore, especially in the laptops usually employed, I'm sure that I could find a WIFI AP to use pretty easily! :)

Sorry for the "rounds" mixup ... Each scheme seems to define it to its own needs. The most basic that I recall is Stearns, which calls "one heat per racer" a "round."
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Stan Pope wrote:In the networked case, is consolidation accomplished by appending files from both computers, e.g.with "notepad", into one file for reporting? Or are both computers working in the same file?
In the networked computer scenario, they would be using the same data file, so there is no need to combine data. You just have to be careful not to overwrite data from one computer with data from the other. As long as each track has its specific set of heats to run, then that shouldn't be a problem.
Stan Pope wrote:Sorry for the "rounds" mixup ... Each scheme seems to define it to its own needs. The most basic that I recall is Stearns, which calls "one heat per racer" a "round."
No problem. GPRM uses the term "round" basically as the running of a complete schedule, regardless of the number of runs per lane each racer gets within that schedule. Users can start new rounds, if they wish, to advance the top racers to. That is the only form of elimination that the software supports.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

gpraceman wrote:Create a two run per lane chart (what you would call a two round chart, since the term "round" is used differently in GPRM). Assign track 1 to run the first half of the heats and track 2 to run the second half of the heats.
The problem I see with this approach is that everyone is bouncing back and forth between the two tracks, and someone is sure to be scheduled for simultaneous races on different tracks. That's why I suggested dividing the group in half and scheduling each subgroup for its own track, and then swapping tracks.

Although, thinking about it, if you want to have as much variety of opponents as possible, you would need to schedule each subgroup for an 8-race schedule. That way, you'll get different opponents for the second set of races on the other track, because it's the second half of the same schedule, rather than a completely new schedule.