Doing a Single Car re-run without adding an extra time?

Discussions on race preparation, race management, sound effects, and other race related software. This is only for software provided by our sponsor, GrandPrix Software Central.
twink893
Apprentice
Apprentice

Doing a Single Car re-run without adding an extra time?

Post by twink893 »

Hi Everyone, This is my first year with helping out the local Cub Scout Troop with the PWD. My son is in his second year. This year we have purchased our own track instead of renting like they have done in the past. We have a 4 lane “Best Track”, with a SmartLine timer. All will be hooked up to a laptop, and we are using GrandPrix software. Anyways, my question is “Can anyone tell me how they do re-runs of just one specific car, if it jumps the track?” We are using Lane Rotation for the schedule. And our rules state that we are using the combined time from all 4 heats. And if one jumps the track they are allowed to re-run once, but the other cars that were in that same heat do not re-run. Any ideas on how to handle that situation with out adding together the time for 5 runs(instead of the 4 that it should be), making the accumulated times higher than should be?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Doing a Single Car re-run without adding an extra time?

Post by gpraceman »

1. Use the "Test/Tie Break" mode to run the one racer and get his time.
2. Write down the time.
3. Switch back to your race group and pull up the applicable heat.
4. Use the Manual Results button to edit that racer's time.

On another note, you need to check your email address on your account. I've been receiving bounce messages "The account or domain may not exist, they may be blacklisted, or missing the proper dns entries."
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
twink893
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by twink893 »

First of all "I KNEW I CAME TO THE RIGHT PLACE TO GET THE ANSWER!!" Thank you and I know exactly what you mean about doing that, so Thank Yo Very Much!!!.

Second I will look into the e-mail address issue.

Thanks Again!! :)
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

If a car jumps the track we rerun the race (all cars). If it jumps again it gets the max time (9.999). It doesn't seem fair to run ALL the cars again if 1 car has a problem.
dna1990
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by dna1990 »

I am going to have check our rules again. I think we re-run all cars.

And unless the jumper clearly jumps on its own and does not interfere with the others, it makes sense to re-run all.

On the other hand, it does not make sense to re-run a car (and further use up any graphite advantage) when there was no interferece. But now you have to be able to 'make the call'. Subjective rules (especially when four separate objects are moving at x ft/sec) doesn't sound easy to enforce consistently.

But like others have said, we only allow for one re-run. Then the car is 9.999'd.
joe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by joe »

You need to re-run all the cars. A car running solo is always faster than when running with other cars. At least on our track!
Randy and Son
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Randy and Son »

joe wrote:A car running solo is always faster than when running with other cars. At least on our track!
How can this be?

Randy
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Randy and Son wrote:
joe wrote:A car running solo is always faster than when running with other cars. At least on our track!
How can this be?

Randy
Perhaps because the weight of the cars alters the geometry of the track? More cars causes more weight causes more alteration.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

Randy and Son wrote:
How can this be?

Randy
I've heard vibrations (harmonics?) from the others cars interfere each other. I've seen this on our track.
Randy and Son
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Randy and Son »

Stan Pope wrote: Perhaps because the weight of the cars alters the geometry of the track? More cars causes more weight causes more alteration.
Pinewood Daddy wrote: I've heard vibrations (harmonics?) from the others cars interfere each other. I've seen this on our track.
Thanks guys. I would have never thought to consider these things.

My initial inclination would be to re-run the car solo in order to conserve the graphite of the competitors. But it looks like that needs to be a secondary consideration to the timing issue. Now it looks better to me than before to DQ after one re-race due to graphite concerns.

Randy
3 Cub Dad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by 3 Cub Dad »

Pinewood Daddy wrote:
Randy and Son wrote: How can this be?

Randy
I've heard vibrations (harmonics?) from the others cars interfere each other. I've seen this on our track.
I think it's a NASCAR style side draft :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Randy and Son
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Randy and Son »

3 Cub Dad wrote:
Pinewood Daddy wrote: I've heard vibrations (harmonics?) from the others cars interfere each other. I've seen this on our track.
I think it's a NASCAR style side draft :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
If that's true then two cars bumper to bumper in one lane would certainly outrun the rest of the cars in the heat. :mrgreen: Right?

Randy