Software for creating Templates?

Discussions on race preparation, race management, sound effects, and other race related software. This is only for software provided by our sponsor, GrandPrix Software Central.
Nitro Dan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Software for creating Templates?

Post by Nitro Dan »

Does anyone use a specific software program for creating Pinewood Derby Car templates? I have several templates that I have created on graph paper that I'd like to re-create in electronic form. Nothing too fancy or expensive. Preferably something easy to use with a graph paper background to draw two dimensional on. Also needs to be able to print to the correct size as well.

-Nitro Dan
Take good and make it great. Take fast and make it faster. Performance drives success!
ah8tk
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Software for creating Templates?

Post by ah8tk »

I personally use Microsoft Visio Professional. I think that you should be looking for some sort of cheap CAD style program. I think most drawing programs cannot do scale drawings so they cannot print in scale (with pinewood derby you can draw and print in a 1:1 scale)

I am lucky I use Visio at work, for documentation, so I am able to use it for pinewood derby drawings.

I draw the car from all 4 angles to get all the body lines to line up (during the drawing process there are alot of lineup lines that have to be deleted, the pictured car is a very simple wedge)

In a very short search of the net I found an article that compares 5 consumer CAD programs. Take a look.

link to description

Andy