Turtle Round or Finals

Discussions on race preparation, race management, sound effects, and other race related software. This is only for software provided by our sponsor, GrandPrix Software Central.
dna1990
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Turtle Round or Finals

Post by dna1990 »

Can GPRM do a New Round or Grand Finalist Round - but advance the 'slowest' racers to form a "Turtle Final"?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Turtle Round or Finals

Post by gpraceman »

dna1990 wrote:Can GPRM do a New Round or Grand Finalist Round - but advance the 'slowest' racers to form a "Turtle Final"?
You could, but it will take slightly more work on your part. Check the standings to see who you want to advance, go to the Registration tab of the main screen and check Finalist or Grand Finalist, as the case may be, for each one of those racers. Then start the new round or grand finals as you normally would. If you flag anyone, it will go with your selections instead of trying to determine the fastest racers to advance.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Also, hopefully these are cars that actually crossed the finish line. Otherwise, it will be more of a race of how far they travel.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
dna1990
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by dna1990 »

I tested what you mean, thanks!

But we can only have one Grand Finalist round that selects roster members from multiple Groups, correct?

So I can use the above technique to create a Round2 for just my Tiger Group and manually select the slowest times as a Finalist.

But I can't use that technique to have a new Round 'across' Groups, correct? To have a turtle race where the four slowest of the whole pack are selected.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

dna1990 wrote:I tested what you mean, thanks!

But we can only have one Grand Finalist round that selects roster members from multiple Groups, correct?

So I can use the above technique to create a Round2 for just my Tiger Group and manually select the slowest times as a Finalist.

But I can't use that technique to have a new Round 'across' Groups, correct? To have a turtle race where the four slowest of the whole pack are selected.
Just make a copy of that data file, using the File Save As feature. Then with one copy do your turtle race and the other do a regular Grand Finals.
Randy Lisano

TAL
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TAL »

dna1990 wrote:

If you use that method to determine the slowest car(s) you will first get the cars that did'nt even finish the race .

I think to determine a fair Turtle race canidate , you will have to manually check each of the last place finishers times for any DNF's.
Cause usually one of the rules for a turtle race is you have to cross the finish line.
dna1990
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by dna1990 »

Correct, I have to look at the Standing List, starting at the bottom and pick out the first non-9.999 I see.

Are Turtle Awards very popular? If so, maybe something for v9? Wouldn't want Randy to get bored.
GravityRacer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by GravityRacer »

You might be surprised by what challenge a programmer will respond to! I can't speak for Randy on this, but there didn't used to be a programming logic problem I couldn't respond to in a positive way! Call me masochistic, but I love to beat my head against a tough problem. These days, my interests lie elsewhere, but that spirit never leaves a guy. Now, I do some really challenging designs that are proprietary, so I can't discuss them- but always go for the gusto! Oh, and I've never met a Sudoku puzzle that I couldn't solve...even if it took half an hour.
dna1990
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by dna1990 »

I am with ya, I too am a programmer by trade. Not as much code anymore, but alot of DB work.

I already went off and wrote some queries to scan Randy's GP tables and calculate my Turtle concept, I think it is working. Need to try some more test data.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

dna1990 wrote:Are Turtle Awards very popular? If so, maybe something for v9? Wouldn't want Randy to get bored.
We did Turtle Awards (actually, I like term "Best Gas Mileage" award better) back in our old Awana club and did get racers going for that award. The key is advertising it ahead of time.

Here's an old thread on the subject. http://derbytalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=12 ... ge+mileage

Something showing up in GPRM V9? Quite possible. I'll put it on the list of possible improvements.
Randy Lisano