Seeking software/spreadsheet for non-timed derby

Discussions on race preparation, race management, sound effects, and other race related software. This is only for software provided by our sponsor, GrandPrix Software Central.
sigurd
Apprentice
Apprentice

Seeking software/spreadsheet for non-timed derby

Post by sigurd »

Hi,

We run a Derby with some 100 cars on a 4-lane, non-timed track, and are looking for suitable race management software/spreadsheet. No integration with timer is necessary - freestanding PC, only.

In this NG I found this link:

http://home1.gte.net/res06xo8/pine.htm

Any other packages (commercial/share/free) that might suit our objective better?

Thanks,
Sigurd
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Seeking software/spreadsheet for non-timed derby

Post by Stan Pope »

Drop "Cory" an email. I think that I recall him saying that he had a strong spreadsheet that would be adaptable.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

sigurd wrote:Any other packages (commercial/share/free) that might suit our objective better?
You can check out those listed at http://grandprix-race-central.com/gpmanager.htm
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
scoutmom3149
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by scoutmom3149 »

I tried that web site you posted above with the pine4 and pine3 excel spread sheet. The problem I found with that is only capable of having multiples of 4 scouts. Otherwise it has scouts with a bye race. that didn't seem fair to me.
I have incorperated that idea and created an excel spreadsheet that can handle 15-50 racers. It uses the partial perfect method from Young & Popes website. If you are interested I have a few done I will have many more done by the end of the month. Let me know and I can e-mail you the one we used this year.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Cory Young has constructed a generic Excel spreadsheet that invokes the dll to construct the pairings. I've not seen him refuse to share it. :)

Wholesale copying of chart layouts creates a couple of problems ... (1) some folks are protective of their copyright and (2) you isolate yourself from chart improvements or corrections that are likely to come in the future.

With "cpn" and "pn" charts, byes are a very small issue, since everyone races each bye the same number of times. I'd race a 13 car PN chart with a bye rather than a 12-car PPN chart.

A bye in a "ppn" chart is better than no byes in a "misc" chart, i.e. one of the few cars-lanes-rounds combinations that will not produce even a ppn chart.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Cory
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Cory »

Stan Pope wrote:Cory Young has constructed a generic Excel spreadsheet that invokes the dll to construct the pairings. I've not seen him refuse to share it. :)
Now that you mention it...

With the help of a friend and fellow pinehead (known on this site simply as "Mike") this spreadsheet is now in the sort-of-ready-for-primetime category.

It is a poor man's Race Manager with limited functionality. But what it does do it does pretty well, with its "complete view of the heats" and "automatic score-keeping" and except for the PPN dynamic link library, the code is extensible by anyone with programming skills.

In particular, I could certainly see adding the ability to talk/listen to serial timers via the MSCOMM32.OCX ActiveX control. As a first step, this would at least allow automatic entry of finish places. Taking it further, the system could be enhanced to allow time-based (instead of points-based) scoring.

I'll probably post this software at some point, but if anyone wants it now please drop me an email.

C.