Need new race software... suggestions?

Discussions on race preparation, race management, sound effects, and other race related software. This is only for software provided by our sponsor, GrandPrix Software Central.
tmbnorm
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Need new race software... suggestions?

Post by tmbnorm »

Our pack has used Raceview software for the past 5 years.
Raceview has been discontinued and really does not seem to be the best option out there.

It always seems in our races that A boy has to race B boy several times in the elimination heats, but neither one of them races C or D boy.

I know there are better options.

What is everyone's experience? GrandPrix seems like it might be the best option, but I am not sure.

What is do you think?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Need new race software... suggestions?

Post by gpraceman »

I am understandably biased, so I am not going to make a specific software recommendation.

However, I will comment on scheduling methods. I'm a fan of the Perfect-N Type Charts that Stan Pope and Cory Young developed. They ensure that racers will run in each lane of the track (you can specify how many times down each lane), they will run an equal number of times and they will have a variety of opponents. There is Stan's web based chart generator, freeware and commercial software that can run these charts.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
tmbnorm
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by tmbnorm »

Thanks for the comments.

We really like the points elimination method and then the top 3 run for the championship.

Can you use that with the Perfect N?

Thanks
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

With any non-elimination method, like Perfect-N type charts, you can do a two or more round format. You just are not eliminating within a round, just when advancing the top n racers to a new round.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
davem
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by davem »

I have not used Raceview.

But I have used GPRM for 5 years...
and have helped with other races using other s/w.

IMO - GPRM is the best...either with times or with points based racing.