RaceReplay

Discussions on race preparation, race management, sound effects, and other race related software. This is only for software provided by our sponsor, GrandPrix Software Central.
jf4ever2005
Apprentice
Apprentice

RaceReplay

Post by jf4ever2005 »

I have a newer HP Dv4 laptop and dont have firewire connection. is USB fast enough or what other types of connections would work? I have a newer HD Cannon video camera that I would like to use. If there is a way I would purchase the newest version of GrandPrix with the RaceReplay and give the parents this year the awww factor!

Let me know thanks!

Ben
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: RaceReplay

Post by gpraceman »

jf4ever2005 wrote:I have a newer HP Dv4 laptop and dont have firewire connection. is USB fast enough or what other types of connections would work? I have a newer HD Cannon video camera that I would like to use.
I don't know of any video cameras that provide a live video feed via a USB connection. Maybe some do, but I have not heard of any. The USB connection is to merely transfer files from the camera to the computer. You are likely to need a video capture device to connect the video camera to the computer. The capture device connects to the computer via USB (so there is the driver issue to consider) and gives a composite (RCA) and S-Video connections to go to the camera.

Another possible option is that there are some 1.3 MP and higher webcams these days that may work out well enough to display on a projection system. They will use a USB connection, but their cables are not very long, so you'd have to place the computer close to the end of the track.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
jf4ever2005
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by jf4ever2005 »

Anyone used this system in a full on race day and think it was worth the work and money? Last year i ran the race with Derbymaster and it went fine. first year with a timer to race by and everyone was shocked with it. Me, i thought the DOS looking screen shots were boring. If you have used this please let me know results or any other wow factors we can put into race day.

Also is there video of the RaceReplay software working with the GrandPrix software?

Ben
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

jf4ever2005 wrote:Anyone used this system in a full on race day and think it was worth the work and money?
I'll let other people chime in about their opinions on the software, but you can always download each of these software packages and give them a try for yourself. Each will function as a demo until you purchase a license. First test GPRM, then RaceReplay and then test them in tandem. We do also have a 30 day return policy, if you are not satisfied.

Especially demo RaceReplay with your hardware, since not every video capture device (if you go that route) will work with RaceReplay. Some only work with their proprietary software. If using a USB connection (camera or video capture device), you also have to deal with possible driver issues.
jf4ever2005 wrote:Also is there video of the RaceReplay software working with the GrandPrix software?
Not really. There would not be anything to really show. GPRM sends messages to RaceReplay behind the scenes to start/stop the recording and then to launch the replay sequence.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Mr. Slick
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mr. Slick »

I'll tryt to get a video made of the race atmosphere at a race where we have RaceReplay running. It is sort of fun to watch the crowd turn their heads from the finish line back to the front to watch the replay. . . sort of like tennis. 8)

I can hardly wait for the new season to start so we can see what the new multiple pc ability results in. :D
Mr. Slick says: Honey, I am doing this for the kids, not myself.
Jeff Piazza
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Jeff Piazza »

I'm curious what camera positions/angles people have used successfully with Race Replay.

The most sensible set-up I can imagine is to place the camera on a tripod that's straddling the track, about 10-12 feet from the finish line. My camera then catches about the last 8 feet of the race from this position.

Other possibilities we've thought of:
  • very near track level, past the finish line, pointing back at the track (risk of crash into camera; potentially interferes with retrieving cars; makes the track even longer from a crowd-control perspective); and
  • directly over the track, pointed straight down (if only we had way to put the camera there).
What's your experience been?

/JEP
PWD_addict
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by PWD_addict »

We successfully got Race Replay working this past Saturday for our Derby and it was absolutely a crowd pleaser! The video popped up after the race finished, played a couple of times in slow motion. The kids (and adults) absolutely loved it. We had a so-so USB webcam and it wasn't great but it made it real fun. It was a little challenge getting it to work but we figured it out in about 20 minutes.

The one primary challenge we had was when each lane didn't have a car going down it. Race Replay expects an end signal when all cars have finished the race before it will pop up. With our timer (The Judge) and GPRM, you can hit esc to finish the race but, with v 1.0 Race Replay (don't know if it's different with newer versions) and GPRM 9, once the race starts, Windows transfers control from GPRM to RaceReplay. We'd have to click on the GPRM window, and hit escape to end the race. OR, usually, I would just stand near the finish line and run my hand under the finish line to simulate the other cars passing through. It was a minor nuisance and only happened for a couple of races that we didn't have 8 cars running.

It was definitely worth the price, and the challenge of getting it working.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

PWD_addict wrote:We successfully got Race Replay working this past Saturday for our Derby and it was absolutely a crowd pleaser! The video popped up after the race finished, played a couple of times in slow motion. The kids (and adults) absolutely loved it. We had a so-so USB webcam and it wasn't great but it made it real fun.
I'm glad that the replay was a hit.
PWD_addict wrote:The one primary challenge we had was when each lane didn't have a car going down it. Race Replay expects an end signal when all cars have finished the race before it will pop up. With our timer (The Judge) and GPRM, you can hit esc to finish the race but, with v 1.0 Race Replay (don't know if it's different with newer versions) and GPRM 9, once the race starts, Windows transfers control from GPRM to RaceReplay. We'd have to click on the GPRM window, and hit escape to end the race. OR, usually, I would just stand near the finish line and run my hand under the finish line to simulate the other cars passing through. It was a minor nuisance and only happened for a couple of races that we didn't have 8 cars running.
Were these "Byes" in the schedule or a car that just couldn't compete so that spot was not filled? With that particular timer, if it was a Bye, GPRM should have popped up with the results as soon as all other lanes finished. That should have prompted RaceReplay to show the replay.

RaceReplay does becomes the active window in order to display the replay properly. This is true in RaceReplay V2 as well. You would have to make GPRM the active window in order for the Escape key to have GPRM send the command to RaceReplay to stop recording.
Randy Lisano

PWD_addict
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by PWD_addict »

Thanks Randy. I will sheepishly admit that part of our challenge was realizing we needed to "end the race" for The Judge timer before RaceReplay would pop up.