Will GP Software communicate with an Arduino?

Discussions on race preparation, race management, sound effects, and other race related software. This is only for software provided by our sponsor, GrandPrix Software Central.
fidoracing
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Will GP Software communicate with an Arduino?

Post by fidoracing »

Our derby was on the 28th of January, and everything worked great! The laptop locked up once, but we had Media player running a CD in the background before the race started, and I forgot to shut it down. Once I shut it down, everything worked fine. The laptop has Vista on it, I'm sure that didn't help.

Otherwise the scheduling and running the race worked great. The Arduino based timer worked flawlessly. The reset, ready response, timer start, and force data send commands work with the Arduino software I wrote. I never had time to finish the "lane masking" feature, but I didn't really figure we needed it with a two lane track. The program could be expanded to four lanes real easily, there are plenty of pins left on the Arduino.

I would like to post the program, but I can't figure out where to do it. Ideas?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

I'm glad that your race went well.
fidoracing wrote:I would like to post the program, but I can't figure out where to do it. Ideas?
I have the files that you sent me, I just have not had time yet to post them to the GrandPrix Race Central website.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

The files are now posted to GrandPrix Race Central, at http://grandprix-race-central.com/modul ... ils&lid=23.

Though, I think it would be good to include some info on how you built the timer and maybe a photo or two of the finished system. ;)
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

The ZIP file posted to GrandPrix Race Central has been modified to include some notes on the Arduino board and a schematic to represent Jason's circuit.

http://grandprix-race-central.com/modul ... ils&lid=23
Randy Lisano

pwrd by tungsten
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pwrd by tungsten »

that is really cool. Arduinos are fun to play with.
shughes
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by shughes »

what sensors, switch did you use for this project? i was considering making a timer for a track and was looking towards using the Arduino since its open source.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

shughes wrote:what sensors, switch did you use for this project? i was considering making a timer for a track and was looking towards using the Arduino since its open source.
Have you checked out the schematic in that download? It has a parts list. These are not necessarily what Jason used, but ones that have been used in other DIY timing systems and are available at Radio Shack.
Randy Lisano

fidoracing
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by fidoracing »

I used the IR transmitter and Receivers that you buy at Radio Shack. They are sold in pairs, and only cost about $3 or $4 for the pair. I went with IR because ambient light (lights, camera flashes, reflections, shadows, ect) can effect regular light sensors. The IR sensors proved to be much more stable than the light sensors that were on the track before.

For the starting lane sensor I just used a roller type switch that worked off the starting gate.

One word of caution - the outputs of the Arduino are only worth about 40 ma, and if you need to run a bigger load than that on an output pin, you will need a transistor or a relay to drive it.
shughes
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by shughes »

thanks for the info...will check it out. i need to ramp up on some of the electronic bits as I am a bit green in that area but the coding I can handle. was looking over the api today. i was thinking of purchasing the BestTrack #135 and then making my own timer for it with the arduino. probably will just record the times and then send them straight to one of my linux boxes for a visual read using perl to listen.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Stumbled upon the "Ardweeny" in the Jameco newsletter. You could make up a really small Arduino based timer board with one of these.

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... 2115768_-1

Then add a USB interface cable or a FTDI Basic Breakout board to provide a computer interface.
Randy Lisano

fidoracing
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by fidoracing »

There is also the Arduino Pro-Mini http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardProMini" target="_blank

Its about the same price, and has no headers so you can solder directly to it. This one also uses the updated chip, and has more RAM.

I was going to use this one for my build, but I couldn't figure out a USB interface in time, so I ended up using the Diecimalia.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

fidoracing wrote:I was going to use this one for my build, but I couldn't figure out a USB interface in time, so I ended up using the Diecimalia.
I think you can just add a 6 pin header to the end of that pro-mini so you can use that FTDI Basic Breakout. That is shown here, http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/ArduinoProMini. They also show that USB interface cable.
Randy Lisano

fidoracing
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by fidoracing »

I didn't have one at the time, and the three vendors that I usually work with had them back ordered. It was less of an ability thing, and more of a "holy cow Pinewood is in three days" type of thing. :D

In your opinion, would that board be able to communicate over a regular serial port? I have a few 9 pin to USB adapters, and I figure that if I could come out of the Arudino with a Serial cable, I would be able to put the computer at the starting line and more out of the way. I posted this question on the Arduino forums, and never really got a good answer.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

If you want a regular serial port on the timer, you would need to add a MAX232 to the circuit, like below.

http://sodoityourself.com/max232-serial ... converter/

I think you can use this RS232 interface card instead. You would need to supply it with 3.3V power. Then connect up UART Data In and UART Data Out to the Arduino and, of course, Ground. Pins 1, 2, 3, and 10, if I am reading the datasheets right.

I also found this TTL to RS232 Interface Board, which would probably be a little easier to interface with.
Randy Lisano

the_stryder
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by the_stryder »

Has anyone done a 4 lane version of this program yet? Our Outpost's track is in need of a new timer, and this appears by far to be the simplest hardware design for a four lane track I have seen. I think I have made the necessary changes in the programming to do so, but not being a programmer, am not entirely certain. If any one has a working 4 lane version, or knows 'C' well enough to proof what I have done, it would be very well appreciated. Thanks in advance.