When is a new race file needed?

Discussions on race preparation, race management, sound effects, and other race related software. This is only for software provided by our sponsor, GrandPrix Software Central.
gregwilley
Apprentice
Apprentice

When is a new race file needed?

Post by gregwilley »

I've seen the software tip that says you should create a new file for each race, but I wasn't sure what constituted a race. Do I need to set up each rank as a separate file or just create those as groups?
When we go to run overall finals do I need to create a separate file for that and enter the top 3 cars from each rank?

In our old Raceview software we are used to running each rank separately then having a finals race with the top 4 cars and having awards after each rank. Then having the overall pack finals afterwards.
- Tigers
- Tigers finals with awards
- Wolves
- Wolves finals with awards
- Bears
- Bears finals with awards
- Webelos
- Webelos finals with awards

Overall Finals with top 3 cars from each rank for a total of 12 cars.

Then we have
Open race for siblings with awards
Open race for adults with awards
BallBoy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: When is a new race file needed?

Post by BallBoy »

:welcome: gregwilley

You referenced Raceview as your old software. What software are you using now?

I'm going to make a guess that you are referring to GPRM. If I were using GPRM in the manner you are describing then I would create a race file once each year. You can run all those groups in one race file. If each den is running independent of the other dens then I would put each den in its own group. If you are using GRPM I suggest lookup "Groups" and "Master Scheduling" as well as playing around with the software to get it to run the way you want to.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Greg,

Since you are a GPRM user (I checked our records), BallBoy is giving you the correct scoop.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
PeterT
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by PeterT »

We switched from RaceView to GPRM three years ago, and could not be happier with the switch. At that point RaceView had already been discontinued for 3+ years (if I recall correctly!), so kudos for getting it to continue to work a few more years. RV was too unreliable and we had a nurse an old laptop along just to run it successfully. The only thing I miss from RV was that I recall it had very nice winner screens - in columns arranged just like the lanes on the track (Randy: hint, hint!).

When we used RaceView we did essentially what you described. I agree with the above two posters that the best way to run GPRM if you're coming from RV is one new file/year, and to use master scheduling. This will allow for one big race, but -for the most part - cubs only go up against other cubs from the same den.

We had a lot of "parent training" to convince people that the new way was better, and that there were no longer specific times for each den. We had to educate parents about timed verse points scoring, how the new systems works, etc.

If you have your old RaceView data you should be able to pull your time per race. If you plug this into GPRM it is excellent at predicting how long your race day will be. RV was near completely unpredictable as to how long racing would go on.

Once your pack parents understand the scoring and see GPRM in action, you'll look like a hero (thanks, Randy!!!).

Side tip: if you invest in a RaceReplay setup, don't tell anyone except your fellow Derby setup crew. Test/tweak your setup while no pack parents are in the room, and then watch the crowd's reaction as the first replay appear on your projector. I had completely forgotten I had not told anyone last year (theory: underpromise, overdeliver), the crowd had no expectations, and they were floored when the replay came up.
gregwilley
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by gregwilley »

I basically like how Raceview worked. It was very simple but did have really nice winner screens displaying the top 4 cars. AND NOW ON TO THE FINALS!

Our biggest issue was having a laptop with a serial port. We ended up having to use a serial to USB converter and it didn't always get the places correct. So after each heat you had to manually look at the timer place and compare to what the software registered and probably 1/4 of the time manually edit the results. That was painstaking and the potential for errors was high. Therefore I was hoping a software change might solve this issue.

We have been using points even with Raceview so the software change over won't affect us there.

So thanks for all your input. Maybe we'll add the Replay feature next year.

Does GPRM have a test feature where I can input some names and have it run some sample races without the track/timer attached? Raceview had that and it was really helpful in getting some experience with the software.
Derby Evolution
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Derby Evolution »

The GPRM software is very easy to us and very realiable. Several of the top leagues in the country use it every month and I could not even tell you how many scout packs use it every year. The support provided with the software is great and the software functions perfectly. I know that I recommend the software!
BallBoy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by BallBoy »

gregwilley wrote:Does GPRM have a test feature where I can input some names and have it run some sample races without the track/timer attached?
In racing mode GPRM does have a test feature that allows you to make sure that all the equipment is functional and on speaking terms, but that isn't really what you were asking.

To my knowledge GPRM doesn't have a test mode, but it doesn't really need one. I would create a separate race file just for testing how the software works. With the test race data file you input as many racers and run a mock race in its entirety - from registration to awards. You can use this file or create additional ones to test different features of the program. For example, if you aren't sure what master scheduling is or how it works then enable it and run a mock race to get the feel for it. Maybe it will be exactly what you want and maybe it won't. Run another test with groups/sub-groups to see if that is a feature that fits how you run your race.

One of the things I like most about GPRM is its flexibility to fit most any format. I would guess that hundreds, if not thousands, of organizations use GPRM to manage their race in their own way. You may need to spend a few hours learning its different functions, but the time spent will be worth it.
Derby Evolution wrote:I recommend the software!
I recommend GPRM as well.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

gregwilley wrote:Does GPRM have a test feature where I can input some names and have it run some sample races without the track/timer attached? Raceview had that and it was really helpful in getting some experience with the software.
For each heat, you can use the Manual Results button on the racing screen. There is a Test Data button on the popup screen that will fill it with reasonable data.
BallBoy wrote:I would create a separate race file just for testing how the software works.
I highly recommend that. Creating a data file is easy, so no need to delete out test data. Just have a test data file and one for racing. Nothing to delete, just do your testing and then open your race data file and go.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
gregwilley
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by gregwilley »

Great thanks.

Now I'm confused about the Grand Finals.

I ran a 1st round of Tigers, Wolves, Bears, Webelos
then ran a 2nd round of each of those ranks with just the top 4 cars from each rank.

Then for my grand finals I want to take the top 3 finishers from each rank in round 2 (or 12 cars) and race them all together to get the top 3 fastest cars in the pack.

When I create the Grand Finals and say I want the top 3 from each rank it puts the Grand Finals in Round 1. I would think the Grand Finals would show after Round 2. So I'm not clear if the cars it's pulling into the grand finals are the top cars from each rank in Round 1 or Round 2. How can I tell?

Am I doing something wrong in setting up my Grand Finals? Also it pulled in 13 cars not 12. Why would it do that?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

gregwilley wrote:When I create the Grand Finals and say I want the top 3 from each rank it puts the Grand Finals in Round 1.
Well, that is the first Grand Finals round. ;) It was actually far easier to design it that way, since a new group called "Grand Finals" was being created. Each group starts out in Round 1.

GPRM only supports one round of Grand Finals currently, but I may open that up to support multiple rounds.
Randy Lisano

gregwilley
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by gregwilley »

I see, so even though it's showing the Grand finals in Round 1 is it really pulling the top cars from Round 2?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

gregwilley wrote:I see, so even though it's showing the Grand finals in Round 1 is it really pulling the top cars from Round 2?
It will pull from the last round completed for all of the selected race groups.

You can always cross check to assure yourself that the correct racers are being pulled. Look at the standings for your Round 2 and then see which of the racers have their Grand Finalist box checked on the Registration tab.
Randy Lisano