(GPRM) Excluding a group from Grand Finals?

Discussions on race preparation, race management, sound effects, and other race related software. This is only for software provided by our sponsor, GrandPrix Software Central.
dfscott
Journeyman
Journeyman

(GPRM) Excluding a group from Grand Finals?

Post by dfscott »

I've run several PWD's, but this is my first year using GPRM. Our format is Perfect-N, with points scoring via a Micro-Wizard timer (not directly connected to GPRM -- manual entry as I'm not sure I can figure all the hardware out :)).

We race by Cub Year, then run a Grand Finals of the top 3 from each year. However, this year, we're doing an open division, which is a single race that I don't want to include in the Grand Finals. Should I do this as a separate data file? Or is there a way to tell it to ignore a group when computing a grand finals?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: (GPRM) Excluding a group from Grand Finals?

Post by gpraceman »

When you start a Grand Finals round you will be able to select which race groups to include and which not to.

Is there a reason not to use the computer interface on the timer? Having a working interface reduces your workload and prevents data entry errors.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
dfscott
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by dfscott »

gpraceman wrote:When you start a Grand Finals round you will be able to select which race groups to include and which not to.
Thanks! I haven't had a chance to go through an entire test run yet, so I didn't realize that.
gpraceman wrote:Is there a reason not to use the computer interface on the timer? Having a working interface reduces your workload and prevents data entry errors.
Two reasons, actually. The timer we're using is borrowed, and it has a sticker on it that says it won't send times through the interface, and based on the timer setup screen, it looks like it's expecting timers (since it has the "max time" textbox).

But the main reason is because I'm using a laptop that doesn't have any COM ports. I got an error message about a USB-to-Serial adapter -- is that something I can easily get at Fry's or something?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

dfscott wrote:But the main reason is because I'm using a laptop that doesn't have any COM ports. I got an error message about a USB-to-Serial adapter -- is that something I can easily get at Fry's or something?
Yes, Frys would have one of those adapters.
dfscott wrote:The timer we're using is borrowed, and it has a sticker on it that says it won't send times through the interface, and based on the timer setup screen, it looks like it's expecting timers (since it has the "max time" textbox).
The computer interface is an extra option. If they didn't pay for that option then the timer will not send any results to the computer. If you know the timer's serial# then you can call Micro Wizard to verify if the timer interface has been enabled or not.

If not using the timer interface, just select None for the timer. Unless the timer display shows lane times, you will have to score by Points.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
dfscott
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by dfscott »

gpraceman wrote:The computer interface is an extra option. If they didn't pay for that option then the timer will not send any results to the computer. If you know the timer's serial# then you can call Micro Wizard to verify if the timer interface has been enabled or not.

If not using the timer interface, just select None for the timer. Unless the timer display shows lane times, you will have to score by Points.
Ah, ok. I planned to score by points anyway, and those aren't hard to enter manually, so I'll just go that route for this year.

Thanks!
dfscott
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by dfscott »

Post-derby Follow-up

Ran the derby this weekend and I have to say that GPRM worked flawlessly! Just to provide a bit of background, I'm a software developer myself and had previously used my own custom excel spreadsheet to run the race, but as this was to be my last year as PWD chair, I felt the need to hand-off something that didn't require any "customer support" from me. :) I'm generally VERY particular about software, so after trying several other packages (which will remain nameless), I was a bit concerned when I downloaded GPRM.

Well, everyone commented on how well the race went. I went straight to trophy rounds for the Cubs except for the 25 Tigers, which I ran down to 7, and then did a second round for Tiger trophies. This was followed by an open division that was just walk-up and sign-in, so I created the group on the fly (again:easy) and ran them. Then, I jumped back to my cubs and created a grand finals round and ran that. All-in-all, a fantastic program.

And since my oldest son won 1st place in the Pack, I was glad that I was using something "official" in order to remove any appearance of bias.

Thanks, Randy!
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

I am glad that your race went well and the software was a help.
Randy Lisano