What camera do you use with Race Replay?

Discussions on race preparation, race management, sound effects, and other race related software. This is only for software provided by our sponsor, GrandPrix Software Central.
arrell
Apprentice
Apprentice

What camera do you use with Race Replay?

Post by arrell »

What camera are you guys using with Race Replay? Do your project your video onto a screen or do you show it on a TV? I recently ran a race this weekend and was disappointed with my camera. I did look at the specs recommended by Race Replay, but I didn't have the time or money to buy a new camera. The videos on http://grandprix-software-central.com/i ... wnload.php" target="_blank look great, but what camera did they use? Do I need a $200 or $1000 plus camera to get this quality? My setup was a xbox 360 camera with a laptop and a projector onto a screen. Results were very poor. I am sure it was mainly because of my camera and additionally because of the lighting and the projector. What camera works for everyone else?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What camera do you use with Race Replay?

Post by gpraceman »

There are a lot of possibilities for video cameras, and with electronics changing as fast as they do we do not make any specific recommendations. Though, some are using newer web cams and are getting good results. Those are less expensive.

For the sample video, that was taken with a Sony video camera connected to a video capture device (composite video connection to the camera and USB connection to the computer).
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
arrell
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by arrell »

Thanks! If you don't mind sharing what camera and what video capture device? Was the image projected for others to see? Were the results good/great? The camera I used met your minimum requirements and results were poor. I know that it isn't the fault of the software, but I am interested in knowing what I need to purchase to get good results? Do you have a recommended requirements for web cameras or video cameras for good results?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

That clip was made some years ago, so the video camera and capture device are no longer available on the market. The video was projected through the same projector as the GrandPrix Race Manager was being displayed upon. The quality was sufficient for audience viewing.

As I mentioned, electronic devices change out so fast that we do not make any specific recommendations.

Minimum requirements are listed at http://grandprix-software-central.com/s ... -rcrp-info.

Some have had very good results with web cams. The disadvantage is the very short cable length, limiting where you can place the computer.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
arrell
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by arrell »

Here is some data from what I used and a link to the video clip. http://youtu.be/ddMP6msvjcM" target="_blank

Note I was using an Xbox 360 camera. Specs are as follows

General
Device Type Web camera
Video input type Digital video camera
Bundled with Microsoft Xbox 360 Headset
Interpolated resolution 1.3 megapixels
Camera Type Color
Max Digital Video Resolution 640 x 480
Video Capture 640 x 480
Expansion / Connectivity
Connections USB
Power Power Device None

The video was rather grainy and when expanded to a larger display and projected onto a screen it was not really helpful other than to see that some blobs had passed by. Reviewing the clip properties the width was 160 pixels by 120 pixels and the frame rate was 30 frames per second.

I would love to see what others have used and the specs of the camera used so that I can find a better camera. Thanks Arrell
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

arrell wrote:Interpolated resolution 1.3 megapixels
That is the key, "Interpolated". That means to me that the resolution is really less and it uses software or hardware to enhance up to the 1.3 megapixels. They can scale up the video but there will be a corresponding loss of quality.
Randy Lisano