GPRM: Race and Register Simultaneously

Discussions on race preparation, race management, sound effects, and other race related software. This is only for software provided by our sponsor, GrandPrix Software Central.
moloch16
Apprentice
Apprentice

GPRM: Race and Register Simultaneously

Post by moloch16 »

With GPRM is it possible to race and register simultaneously? I would like to have one computer registering scouts, and another computer running races. That way, after the Tiger scouts are registered we can start racing while the Wolf scouts start racing.

To do this I would have the registration computer reading the same race file as the race computer. I'm hoping this is possible with the OS locking the file when it is being written to.

Will this work, or is there another way to register and race at the same time?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: GPRM: Race and Register Simultaneously

Post by gpraceman »

V11 and above have the ability to work over a network to share a data file. It is recommended that the data file reside on the race computer, as you wouldn't want any network connectivity issues to affect running the race.

The other option is use a flash drive to shuttle data files. Register racers and then transfer the data file to the race computer. You would end up with multiple data files but you can use the merge feature in the software to combine them into a single data file once you are done racing.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
moloch16
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: GPRM: Race and Register Simultaneously

Post by moloch16 »

Ok, thanks for the info. I will try the data file sharing option.