GPRM 11 Aborts Race if Racer doesn't finish

Discussions on race preparation, race management, sound effects, and other race related software. This is only for software provided by our sponsor, GrandPrix Software Central.
mytholibar
Apprentice
Apprentice

GPRM 11 Aborts Race if Racer doesn't finish

Post by mytholibar »

Unfortunately this is not consistent.

So I Run Heat 1 and all the cars finish but 1. The person running the timer waits for a few seconds then press's the escape key to finish the heat. POOF all the results are gone and the screen is at Heat 1 waiting to race? DOH!

We have run about 8 races so far this year and have had this error a few times. We do pre test all the cars in the race to make sure they finish before racing just to make sure everyone can make the distance but when they do fail there is a I'd guess 30% chance the race will drop instead of finish and 9.999 the racer out.

GPRM 11 Win XP
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: GPRM 11 Aborts Race if Racer doesn't finish

Post by gpraceman »

mytholibar wrote:Unfortunately this is not consistent.

So I Run Heat 1 and all the cars finish but 1. The person running the timer waits for a few seconds then press's the escape key to finish the heat. POOF all the results are gone and the screen is at Heat 1 waiting to race? DOH!

We have run about 8 races so far this year and have had this error a few times. We do pre test all the cars in the race to make sure they finish before racing just to make sure everyone can make the distance but when they do fail there is a I'd guess 30% chance the race will drop instead of finish and 9.999 the racer out.

GPRM 11 Win XP
Hadn't heard of that problem before. All hitting the Escape key will do is get the software out of the timing mode. It has no affect on what heat you are viewing. If the Auto Heat Advance is somehow kicking in, your results should be saved first, before the advance happens.

Other than that, I would make sure that you are running with the last update for that version. That can be downloaded from http://grandprix-software-central.com/s ... earchives/.

Which brand of timer are you using?
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
mytholibar
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by mytholibar »

We are using a 6 lane fast track timer. I've been racing this track for 8 years at about 10+ races a year. This problem seems to only be with v11 though we went from v8 to 11. The Heat stays the same it just acts as though no race just ran. Kinda crazy. have been debating on going up to Version 12 but and also thinking about going back to V8. The rest of the equipment USB Adapter and such are the same we have used for at least 3 years and V8. I wish it was consistent so I could trouble shoot it a bit more we have tried to wait longer or shorter but the results are truly random as to when it dumps the race Vs Saves and times out the failing car. Might a Re-install have any positive effects? Is there something that maybe incompatible from v8 to 11? we have both installed at the same time. I'm an Microsoft Access developer and am somewhat aware and willing to assist in diagnosis if there is such that you want me to try. Otherwise it might be as I stated going to 12 or back to 8.

Thank you for your time and effort.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

mytholibar wrote:We are using a 6 lane fast track timer.
Which model? Are you using the mechanical start switch or the laser start sensor system with that timer?
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
mytholibar
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by mytholibar »

Laser Start. Yes we do confirm we have .'s before we race to make sure everything is in line.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

mytholibar wrote:Laser Start. Yes we do confirm we have .'s before we race to make sure everything is in line.
You didn't mention which particular Fast Track timer model you have.

I highly recommend that you use the mechanical start switch instead. Here's why.

The mechanical switch has an advantage for the car not finishing scenario. Simply reset the start gate. That closes the start switch and prompts the timer to send the race results. No need to hit the Escape key on the computer keyboard. Of course, you do not want to reset the gate while there are cars still running down the track that will finish, as you will lose their times.
Randy Lisano

mytholibar
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by mytholibar »

We have the Microwizard K2 and the laser start.

I do want to convert over to a microswitch but want it to be the loop catch type so I can reset the gate while a race is in progress. We run rather large races and want to make sure we can step up the tempo of the racing when needed.

Would hitting the laser reset switch cause the timer to finish the race as well? does that act differently than the esc key?

sorry I know its been a long time since this conversation started. Thank you for your help and support.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

mytholibar wrote:Would hitting the laser reset switch cause the timer to finish the race as well? does that act differently than the esc key?
It's been so long since I played with a laser start sensor, so I don't remember if it will or not. Long ago we switched to using the mechanical switch due to the issues with the laser unit. You can always do a test to try it out.
Randy Lisano