GPRM vs DerbyMaster. Opinions please?

Discussions on race preparation, race management, sound effects, and other race related software. This is only for software provided by our sponsor, GrandPrix Software Central.
Turbo_Python
Journeyman
Journeyman

GPRM vs DerbyMaster. Opinions please?

Post by Turbo_Python »

I've ran DerbyMaster for 2 years now for our pack. It's a hand-me-down, no one's any kind of expert in it, and it's a little glitchy. Our pack is looking at GPRM now. Which is really better?
"I wanted to devise a wholesome, constructive activity that would foster a closer father-son relationship and
promote craftsmanship and good sportsmanship through competition."
Don Murphy, 1953 (Founder of PWD)
Rukkian
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: GPRM vs DerbyMaster. Opinions please?

Post by Rukkian »

Since this board was started by the creator of GPRM, it may be a little biased, but I have used several products in the past (not sure about derbymaster), and of everything I have tries/seem, GPRM is much cleaner, and easier, while being full functioned.

Our pack has added pieces each of the last 2 years. We started with an old version of GPRM, and updated that and added race replay last year. Now this year we updated both of those, and added raceFX. The products just work.
birddog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by birddog »

I was in the same situation 2 years ago. I became the PWD chairman and we had a software solution that wasn't very good. I did my research, purchased GPRM and it has been the best investment we've made in PWD products for our pack to date.

The support for the software is second to none and the software is easy to use, works with all different kinds of timers, has options for those that like to tinker, has great reports for posting after the race and just plan works without problems.

I cannot recommend it highly enough. Oh, and I am a software engineer myself, so I can be a bit picky about software products.

birddog
TXDerbyDad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TXDerbyDad »

We love GPRM. Another successful Pack race in the bag today and not a hiccup.
Turbo_Python
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Turbo_Python »

birddog wrote:I was in the same situation 2 years ago. I became the PWD chairman and we had a software solution that wasn't very good. I did my research, purchased GPRM and it has been the best investment we've made in PWD products for our pack to date.

The support for the software is second to none and the software is easy to use, works with all different kinds of timers, has options for those that like to tinker, has great reports for posting after the race and just plan works without problems.

I cannot recommend it highly enough. Oh, and I am a software engineer myself, so I can be a bit picky about software products.

birddog
That's exactly what I'm looking for, someone who's run both. I'm sure DerbyMaster is fine if you've had a ton of experience in it. Mine has been suffering from Runtime errors which shut it down in the middle of a heat. We lose the whole race and have to start over.
"I wanted to devise a wholesome, constructive activity that would foster a closer father-son relationship and
promote craftsmanship and good sportsmanship through competition."
Don Murphy, 1953 (Founder of PWD)