Keeping It Light - Glue

Anything related to Space Derby racing and event coordination.
M7 Racing
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Keeping It Light - Glue

Post by M7 Racing »

We are trying to get our rocket ultra light this year. We are only allowed to use two rubber bands and 100 turns so we think we can be pretty agressive.

This might seem like a silly question but what do you guys use to glue the halves of the rocket together to keep it light and have it hold together as strongly as possible? Does plain wood glue work, gorilla glue, epoxy?

Just courious.
MaxV
Merchant
Merchant

Re: Keeping It Light - Glue

Post by MaxV »

Carpenter's Glue (which is yellow wood glue) works very well.
LightninRod
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by LightninRod »

The best glue to use is Cyanoacrylate adhesive (otherwise known as Krazy glue). Just be very careful and try to prevent getting it on your fingers....it will dry as soon as you put the two pieces of wood together and will not allow you to re-position the two halves but it is the best and lightest glue out there. Hope this helps.
IndyMustang
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by IndyMustang »

I've used Gorilla Glue with no failures even running thin. Wet the two halves that make contact, apply glue and spread around so that both mating surfaces are covered. I use spring clamps with large flat pivoting jaws. One on each end and one from the side in the middle. Allow to dry for a couple of days then unclamp and dry another day or two. I'm sure it cures within 24 hours, but I just feel safer allowing it to dry completely. Use a razor knife to clean the excess glue from the outside and file for the inside. I've made a dowel rod that slides inside the square balsa and extends out both ends that I can put in my lathe. I think the ID is 3/4" so buy a 3/4" dowel rod and make one end the smaller diameter to extend out of the propeler end. I've turned these down thin enough that you can see light through them. We use 3 rubber bands and 100 turns and I've never had a failure. Fun Stuff.

Chris