Cub Scouts pack 43 Space Derby Race

Anything related to Space Derby racing and event coordination.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Cub Scouts pack 43 Space Derby Race

Post by whodathunkit »

Well todays race was a hit .
We started are day out looking at air craft of all types that are local air museum had to offer on display with the kids.
( sorry no picks to display of my foster son's space derby) He took 3rd place over all with his rocket.. not bad for are first time with this event.
His ship was heavy and not shaped as well as some of the rest so we wound the rubber bands 100 turns for the first race, 110 for the 2nd race then 120 3rd race ,
last race we went all out to 150 turns. ( Never having to change rubber bands) Thanks for the tip Andy of a8htk!

I will say we did learn that you can use a sharp potato peeler to shape the balsa body at the race today from The family who took 1st and 2nd place.

All in all it was a fun time .
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Eagle
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Cub Scouts pack 43 Space Derby Race

Post by Eagle »

That is great! Glad it all worked out and that it was a great and memorable day.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

CONGRATULATIONS to the Whoda Team.

After your Team does the search, would you let us know what is the best potato peeler to use. I have a feeling you're going do do all the research.
Thank you.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Speedster wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:29 am After your Team does the search, would you let us know what is the best potato peeler to use. I have a feeling you're going do do all the research.
Thank you.
Sure Speedster.. just use one like this https://www.amazon.com/Aniso-vegetable- ... 31&sr=8-12

There was a girl in the pack who showed up with her rocket not shaped or put together.. she was able to put some shape to it using one like this that the pack had in the kitchen.
However she did no sanding to smooth things out after words.. but it made quick work of rounding the square balsa block.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Eagle
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Eagle »

Might have to see a video or someone do this in person before I attempt. Of course, I'll want to use the Good Grips one my wife has. Then she'll be mad because I snagged one more of her best items...
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Our Pack has never done this and I have never seen a finished product. Does anyone have any pictures?
Does this go on past the Pack level with anyone?
Eagle
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Eagle »

Speedster, much like PWD, if you Google "Space Derby" there are tons of images and there are videos you can watch.

There is also the "Rain Gutter Regatta". We were going to do something similar with paddle boats in my junior high wood shop class before the world shut down for COVID.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Thank You, Mr. Eagle. I will do that.
ah8tk
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ah8tk »

The potato peeler is one of the greatest things to use while shaping the Space Derby, you may be able to see it here . The photos don't seem to load on mobile devices, this seems to be trouble with hosting them on Google.

Andy