Race Results - Pack 6 Cub Scouts

Anything related to Raingutter Regatta racing and event coordination.
Da Graphite Kid
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Race Results - Pack 6 Cub Scouts

Post by Da Graphite Kid »

We had our Pack's Raingutter Regatta last Saturday. It was attended by tweleve Cub Scouts and at least that many parents and siblings. All totaled, we had 26 racers (non Cub Scouts were allowed to either build their own boats, use a previsously built boat, or use their sons boat from this year). We raced by rank (all non Cub Scouts raced in an 'All Comers' rank) using the double elimination method. So there was plenty of racing to be had by all. We also gave trophies to each rank for 'Best of Show' boat that only those within that rank voted on.

There were three of racing from my family, my youngest son who is a 2nd year Webelos, my oldest son who is a Boy Scout, and myself. My youngest son had a disappointing day in that he was not within the top three fastest in Webelos or had the best looking boat. I tried to comfort him with the fact that I know that he built his boat by himself and the boy who won 'Best of Show' was crowing about what a good job his father had done on the painting and detailing. The rules allowed for this so what can you do.

Two years ago, I was the undisputed fastest raingutter sailor. No one came within a quarter track of beating me. Last year I fell to second place but vowed to reclaim my title by beating the other father who beat me in that years race. This year... well you know you're getting older when you start slowing down... Well at first I started out with a win but than lost in the next heat to my oldest son. I won the next heat and finally after a see-saw battle, lost to my old nemisis again! I can only find a little comfort that he also beat my oldest son to claim the title two years in a row. His son will be crossing over into Boy Scouts next year but I made him promise to a special show down again next year! Its been two day now and my oldest son won't let me forget that he again beat me at somthing! I guess that is when you know you're getting old - when you can't beat your kids at everything any more!

All in all, this was great fun by all. Only three of the Cub Scouts had ever done this before and all were looking forwards to doing so again next year. So by that, I conclude that it was a sucess!

Da Graphite Kid