Boat Dock?

Anything related to Raingutter Regatta racing and event coordination.
jrz_dad
Pine Head
Pine Head

Boat Dock?

Post by jrz_dad »

OK, help me out here...I'm tasked with "obtaining or building" a boat dock for our Raingutter Regatta Race...(I'm told it holds the racers boats until they are ready to race). OK, with that in mind, here are my questions:

1) what the heck is it?
2) can this be bought?
3) can this be made? and if so, where can I find plans for this?

As you can tell, I know NOTHING about Raingutter Regattas so ANY help would be appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!!!

James
gadgetmom
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Boat Dock?

Post by gadgetmom »

You may want to check out this site for some answers about the Raingutter Regatta.
http://www.lastufka.net/lab/boats/
Da Graphite Kid
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Da Graphite Kid »

James,

I’m guessing here but whoever tasked you with building a “boat dock” could have meant one of two things:
#1 – a device that holds the boats in an upright position while they are not racing in the “dry dock” area.
#2 – a device that helps position the boats to start a race – a “starting dock” (gate) of sorts.

While I have never built either one, I do remember seeing these devices on some of the web sites I searched in past years (but don’t remember which).

We are planning on making a “dry dock” for our raingutter regatta this year by cutting slots in 2 x 2’s and affixing them to some plywood or mdf. I found from making raingutter regatta trophies last year that the keels of the BSA boat kits fit nicely in a slot cut on my table saw. (Note to self: get off your butt and take pictures of trophies for Derby Talk! :oops: ) The whole thing will be painted a simulated ocean color and there was mention of gluing toy fish and whatnot to it as well for decoration.

We have discussed making a “starting dock” but there are concerns that different boat designs could be affected by it. The idea behind a “starting dock” is that the boats would be held somewhat in place (i.e. pointed in the right direction with neither boat in front of the other). We have not used one in the past three years worth of races as we use one of the leaders to hold the boats in place by the tops of the masts.

Hope this helps and don’t forget to take pictures of it so you can post them on Derby Talk! :roll:

Da Graphite Kid
:mrgreen:
TurtlePowered
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TurtlePowered »

If you would like, I could send you a picture of indiviual boat stand that we have. Personal message me with your email address. I will be out of touch next week though.
jrz_dad
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by jrz_dad »

Thanks for the input guys. After reading the responses, its the DRY DOCK I am tasked with. We need a place to hold the boats upright while other scouts are racing.

I didn't think about the 2x2 idea - thats got alot of promise. Guess I too need to get my butt down to the shop and play alittle...

Thanks!! :D
jrz_dad
Pine Head
Pine Head

Re: Boat Dock? *** Updated ***

Post by jrz_dad »

Our Regatta was a success!! I took your advice and just cut some 2x4s into 2x2 strips and taped them to the table - the boats sat perfectly. Thanks Guys!! I appreciate your help!!

J