Elmo Lives!

Show off your cool vehicle designs and track burning speedsters!
Gameday
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Elmo Lives!

Post by Gameday »

In another thread in this forum I mentioned that I was making an Elmo car for my 4-year old to enter into the open class. Here's the nearly-final product. I still need to put another coat of paint on the eyes, mouth, and nose, and add a bar to the front so that the wheels aren't the first thing to hit when it stops. But otherwise, he's just about done.

By the way, he may end up being pretty fast. He has 3.5 ounces of tungsten in his head (secured with epoxy), some pretty good wheels and axles, and is actually pretty thin with a COM exactly .75 inches in front of the rear axle. The race is on the 19th and I'll let you know how he does.

pwdarchitect
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Elmo Lives!

Post by pwdarchitect »

Looks awesome! Your son has to be thrilled to see his idea "come to life".

Keep up the great work and be sure to let us know how ELMO runs.

Jim
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Teeeman »

I hate to ask this... which way does Elmo run?

If he goes feet first, you better add a start bar... Elmo will thank you for it (heheheh!).

-Terry
"I dunno..." - Uncle Eddie, Christmas Vacation
Gameday
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Gameday »

Teeeman wrote:I hate to ask this... which way does Elmo run?

If he goes feet first, you better add a start bar... Elmo will thank you for it (heheheh!).

-Terry
Yeah, he goes feet first. I have plenty of room to add a bar since he can be 7 3/8th" long. I'm just determining the best way to attach it. I have enough room underneath to glue it to the bottom, but I probably also have enough wood thickness so I could drill two holes and mount it in them.
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Teeeman »

higher is better, right? "barge nose" or whatever you call it?

:)

Elmo can keep smiling :)

-T
pwdarchitect
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pwdarchitect »

I had an idea for ya. See if you can make the Bar look like ice skates. :shock:

Jim
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

You do need something there as well to block the finish line sensor; otherwise, his body may be what breaks the beam, not his feet.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Teeeman »

After reading your performance mods he may be fast!

Keep us posted!

Really cool car, my son and wife howled with excitement whent hey saw how cute it is!

-Terry
Gameday
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Gameday »

Thanks for all the comments, guys. At this point I'm probably going to go with just some sort of bar below Elmo's feet. I like the idea of making the bar look like ice skates but I don't think I'll have enough time for something that detailed.
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

Excellent progress, excellent paint job. Elmo not only lives, he rocks!!! (based on the specs, he may "fly" too!!!)

1) FYI to get the material for the starting bar for last year's Batman car, my son and I stole the copper alloy (I think) bar from a regulation old-school Victor snap-type mousetrap. Darkened it with a Black Sharpie marker. Drilled a couple long horizontal holes for the "bumper mounts".

2) Click here for the "other thread" Gameday was referring to regarding Elmo beginnings. gpraceman is going to split the topic at some point, but I believe he is "up to his eyeballs" (business is good!!!).

EDIT: Gameday: an afterthought, if you go with the horizontally drilled bumper mounts and put an approx. 90 degree angle at the base of the bar, you might be able to get Elmo to stand on his own (see Batman link above). Need to think about your Stop Section though, and ensure you don't end up splitting out upon impact.
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Teeeman »

Our “light tripper” (or start bar) is just a piece of balsa wood with epoxy overcoat.
Painted black it would not detract from Elmo’s appearance hopefully… just a thought.

The thin wire start bars work at the starting line, but if the sensor fails to see them at the finish line… could be devastating.

(the epoxy overcoat was just overkill for beefage… I doubt it is needed)

Our 1 inch wide light tripper is shaped as an aggressive, low speed airfoil… even at that I doubt the speeds will be high enough for it to function but it can’t hurt and will keep the other Pack dads guessing if it really does anything or not… :)

-Terry
Gameday
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Gameday »

Terry, that's exactly what I've been contemplating. I want to make sure that the 'bar' is beefy enough to actually trip the timing device, and will also provide protection for the wheels.

Edit to add: also if I shape it like an airfoil then the person placing it on the track will have a better idea of which end is the front :wink: The scouts aren't allowed to place them on the track. I'm trying to join the committee so that I can have that rule changed next year.
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

You could try building what looks like a "pogo" stick for him to stand on.

Long rod up the middle for lots to "secure" to with a 1/8" or so wood platform for him to "stand" on (protecting the wheels) and triggering the finish sensor...

Nothing really good coming to mind right now...

p.s. The axle in his right ear looks like it might need a slight bend toward the rear :D
Gameday
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Gameday »

I ended up installing just a simple bar made from a coat hanger. I drilled holes into the bottom of the feet and glued it in. It did the job perfectly.

Elmo was sensational in the Open div. I posted his times and a pic of the happy boy in this thread

http://derbytalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=2262
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

I just noticed in your other thread that Elmo also won "Best Muppet Car".

Is this a pre-existing category?

Or are some blank awards prepared ahead of time and the categories identified as the contestants show up?

Esp. for the younger ones, I could see the value in ensuring that they went home with an award custom tailored to compliment (and complement) their particular design.