A "True" Cubmaster Car

Show off your cool vehicle designs and track burning speedsters!
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

A "True" Cubmaster Car

Post by Go Bubba Go »

Below you will find 2 pictures of a car that I made specifically for our Open Class races this year.

Our Cubmaster of many years is "moving on up" to the Boy Scout Troop and I thought we should recognize his service at our Pinewood Derby.

On the front of the car is a picture of him participating in one of our parades (4th of July 2006, I think). His face is partially covered for the purpose of these pics (he will not see the car until tonight and did not grant permission for his image to be posted).

The back of the car is a blank brush painted white (uncoated) surface that I am going to ask all the various Den Leaders and Committee members to sign.

The car is a very low profile, lead powered, rear weighted Bubba special. It was built to be intentionally about 0.5 oz. overweight for 2 reasons:

1) To satisfy an inside joke between him and a couple of the other adults (esp. my wife). He is a very lighthearted fellow.

2) To ensure a little "extra" speed. His own cars are fast, but not quite fast enough to place him in the top ranks (at least since we showed up). We plan to present him with his "high performance" car, with an admonition that since a car built by him can't quite take the field, perhaps a car that looks like him will :D

The picture was pasted on the front of the car using the basic "homespun" decal procedure I have described elsewhere.

I found the little wooden case at Hobby Lobby in the "unfinished" wood section for $1.99. I affixed the same picture of him to the lid of the box and expect to add some info to the side regarding his tenure, etc.

The dime that is under the driver's side front wheel in the first pic was needed to keep the car from rolling off the table. Even with a flat and seemingly level table, the car just wants to roll on it's own (a good sign!).

Knowing his lighthearted nature, I expect he will join right in with the "ribbing" and I will be surprised if "his" car is not the most talked about car in the Open Class this year.

Hope you enjoy.
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby
Gameday
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: A "True" Cubmaster Car

Post by Gameday »

Wow, what a GREAT idea. The car looks pretty fast. Even though it's over weight, I wonder if it can win the Open div. You've got to follow up on this post and tell us how he likes it.
pwdarchitect
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pwdarchitect »

I agree that this is a great idea. So many people spend alot of time and effort into making these Cub Scout packs run as smoothly as possible that they should be recognized at every chance that there is.

Good for you for doing this.

Jim
PWD
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by PWD »

Great idea. He should really get a kick out of it. You will need to let us know how he reacts.
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

PWD wrote:Great idea. He should really get a kick out of it. You will need to let us know how he reacts.
Well, we had a "formal" presentation to our Cubmaster prior to our Open Class races and it went over very well. It seemed to be the appropriate mix of honor (for his tenure and leadership) and humor (regarding shorts, car overweight, etc.). Judging from his reaction he was both surprised and honored to receive the car.

We named the car "The Impersonator" for the purposes of the Open Class races, and his car ended up coming in 6th out of a field of 25 (right after my daughter's Ballerina car, which was of similar construction but featured a picture of her in a Ballerina "get up" from her dance class).

According to him, this year's finish was his "best ever", and he chuckled on and off all during the races about his "Impersonator" car.

I was able to get signatures from all of the various leaders on the back of the car, and he is going to display his car along with other memorabilia at our upcoming Blue and Gold banquet.

I spoke with him Monday and obtained his permission to post the above pictures. The backdrop in the picture is from our PWD and is the "standard" backdrop we use for pictures of the boys on Saturday.
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby
Warthog
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Warthog »

Great Idea! That is pretty cool!
ExtremePWD
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ExtremePWD »

That was a great idea. Nicely done!
DerbyAddict
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by DerbyAddict »

Go Bubba Go wrote:Judging from his reaction he was both surprised and honored to receive the car.
I know I would be honored if I recieved that kind of memory. You did a great thing, something that will last the rest of his life, I'm sure. Might even be something his grandkids will see and want to get involved with Scouting long before they can.

Way to go Bubba!
Richard Sava
Cubmaster, Pack 241
Deltona, FL
Any day racing PWD is a good day but winning makes a better good day!
BigDozer66
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by BigDozer66 »

Glad to see it went so well. 8)

Lynn
"one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Cubmaster and AWANA Game Director