Green T - New HR66 Pickup

Show off your cool vehicle designs and track burning speedsters!
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Green T - New HR66 Pickup

Post by Go Bubba Go »

Something we're finishing up for a HR66 league race.

For those that aren't familiar, some organizations have a "hot rod" class that typically has special rules/allowances with regard to length, weight, and height.

The HR66 class we will be running in has a 6 inch length and 6 oz. weight restriction (thus the 66 moniker), and requires that a 1" by 1" square of the body remain at least 1-7/8" off the track surface (i.e. no super thin cars, need to retain the Hot Rod appearance).

We have already changed out the front wheels for some razor wheels (allowed in front for the HR66 rules), but don't have new pics on hand.

The cover for the bed and the top for the cab are both removable. We got a hold of some tubing of adjacent sizes a few months back and have gotten into "modular" builds with tubing sleeves and inserts to allow for ease of installation/removal. :wink:

Enjoy!
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby
SPEEDBUGGY
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Green T - New HR66 Pickup

Post by SPEEDBUGGY »

Great truck Bubba! May I suggest adding some plexy glass for a front window and some crome grill covers? :mrgreen:
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

SPEEDBUGGY wrote:Great truck Bubba! May I suggest adding some plexy glass for a front window and some crome grill covers? :mrgreen:
Certainly, your suggestions are always welcome. :D

Not sure if I'll get them both incorporated before Lima, I'm still working on wrapping up the 3 Big Rigs and the "Red Baron" :wink: .
For the grill, you still using metal coffee filter screen? Or have you come up with a "chromier" alternative?
SPEEDBUGGY
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by SPEEDBUGGY »

I have bin using some brass grill material that comes in different sizes and patterns from a hobby shop. Spray painted it with crome paint lightly so not to clog the holes. Aluminium tape is also an option. Radiators are mostly black so you could go that way with it. :)
TOU
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by TOU »

VEEEEEERY nice truck....great job!
Go Bubba Go wrote:Not sure if I'll get them both incorporated before Lima, I'm still working on wrapping up the 3 Big Rigs and the "Red Baron" :wink: .
Okay...I realize this thread is a bit older...I have been thinking about creating a Tom Daniels inspired Red Baron car at some point and decided to run a search here to see if any one had already done it. Looks like you were working on it, but I can't seem to find a picture of it anywhere. Did you make one? Pictures?

Thx!

TOU
Rod Turnbull
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Rod Turnbull »

Is this a very common class, I love the idea... anyone have a set of rules kicking around... I have something here I think I could make work.

..._/""\__........~_o__............../""""\__.....~_o\__...........//[3].[4].[1].[2]\\.......MASTER
_"O----O-"____"O""-O"~_____"-O----O"___-O----O"____[]____________[]___PINEHEAD
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Looks great.

:scratching: I think he likes green ! :mrgreen:

Needs a set of white wall tires !! :idea:

J/k

Looks great.

Sporty
dna1990
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by dna1990 »

What 'model' did the engine come from and/or what scale is it?

Very nice. :clap: :clap:
PinewoodTopia
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by PinewoodTopia »

We have a similar type of set-up, We call the Adult/Sibling class. It was adopted about 4 years ago, for 2 reasons. We have dads doing most all the work on the boys cars, so this class was to allow for the dads to do what ever they wanted on their cars and leave the boys to do most or all of the work on their cars, and it was to allow for more creativity to be displayed, hopefully inspiring the boys to be more creative with their cars. We had a real bad pinewood derby one year where we had 50 boys participate, and the pack only gives out 1st place trophies, so 90% or of the pack did not get anything as a result, and a great many of the boys went away unhappy because they "lost". So we changed the focus to be put in the time on your car, make it the way you want it, make the car your trophy, and if you receive an addition trophy, great, if not, you will always have the car that you can be proud of. We still have our speed freaks, and thats OK, but we have really had some boys so proud of the car they made, they could care less about if the car finished 1st or last. I think it has made the whole experience more fulfilling for all.
Out of graphite and sawdust come million $ cars and priceless memories.
TOU
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by TOU »

Rod Turnbull wrote:Is this a very common class, I love the idea... anyone have a set of rules kicking around... I have something here I think I could make work.
I came across this:

http://pwdracing.proboards.com/index.cg ... thread=127" target="_blank

[moderator edit by gpraceman: The link is sufficient. It would be better to not get into a rules discussion here for a league race.]
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

TOU wrote:VEEEEEERY nice truck....great job!
Go Bubba Go wrote:Not sure if I'll get them both incorporated before Lima, I'm still working on wrapping up the 3 Big Rigs and the "Red Baron" :wink: .
Okay...I realize this thread is a bit older...I have been thinking about creating a Tom Daniels inspired Red Baron car at some point and decided to run a search here to see if any one had already done it. Looks like you were working on it, but I can't seem to find a picture of it anywhere. Did you make one? Pictures?

Thx!

TOU
Attached below is the only picture I have, the Red Baron car is on the right.

I actually found a small toy version of the car, stripped off the wheels and embedded/mounted the rest on a rail frame with matching red color. It worked out well for my purposes (especially the shiny metal helmet), but if I had to do it again I would be tempted to pick up one of those (dare I say) eBay Red-Baron pre-cuts, if nothing else just for a model to work from (I'm not so good at "from scratch" creations, I have usually "borrowed" most of my best ideas from someone else).

http://cgi.ebay.com/RED-BARON-cut-out-p ... 7C294%3A50" target="_blank
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

dna1990 wrote:What 'model' did the engine come from and/or what scale is it?

Very nice. :clap: :clap:
The engine on "Green T" came from a 1/24 scale (I think) "Road Rippers" race car, one of those toys with the buttons on top to make the car light up, make engine sounds, roll forward, etc. Took off the engine and gave the rest of the car to the 3 year old (at the time), he was happy.

More recently I have been using 1/64 "Muscle Machine" engines for this type of thing. Ex: Purple Haze:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Muscle-Machines-6 ... otohosting" target="_blank

Bubba

p.s. The rules post above is the same link I would have provided.
grifflew
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by grifflew »

Sweet, I love hot rods! :bigups:
I wish we could get more dads into building cool cars for our Pack adult race but they are all hung up on speed/winning too. Years ago, one of the dads/leaders built hot rods, including a Willys Gasser drag coupe. It was his fault that I started building my Indy cars :D

I am going to ask him if he has any pics, besides the Willys I am pretty sure he did a bucket-T.

Cheers,
Griff
TOU
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by TOU »

Go Bubba Go wrote:Attached below is the only picture I have, the Red Baron car is on the right.

Very nicely done...actually all three cars in the picture are beautiful. Those air-brushed paint jobs on the other two are far beyond my abilities though.

Anyway, this is very near to what I was thinking of going for...one of the biggest differences is I was also thinking of making it a exhibition type car with a prop/motor...mainly for fun to show what can be done and as a possible crowd pleaser for fun-runs (I just built a prop for an upcoming church unlimited race...it is a big box truck though.)
I actually found a small toy version of the car, stripped off the wheels and embedded/mounted the rest on a rail frame with matching red color. It worked out well for my purposes (especially the shiny metal helmet),
{Chuckle} Interesting concept...great minds think alike. ;) While I too had noted the Pinewood kit off of Ebay also and was really tempted, in the end though I felt like a chrome or gold helmet was critical to pull it off and I just don't think paint can achieve it well enough for me. (I also need something to be able to hide the batteries, & chip set if I do end up going this route.) So last week I ordered a toy one and a actual model kit of one probably similar to what you did with similar intent of using the helmet and machine guns and maybe the motor. I wasn't clear, so did you use a wood bucket body you made or the one from the toy?
but if I had to do it again I would be tempted to pick up one of those (dare I say) eBay Red-Baron pre-cuts, if nothing else just for a model to work from (I'm not so good at "from scratch" creations, I have usually "borrowed" most of my best ideas from someone else).
Like I said I'm tempted...but we'll see how these online bought toys and models work for select part donors. Thx so much for the post and picture. If you can find a few other pictures or take some, I would love to see them. BTW, how did it race?

TOU