Back from the District Derby

Show off your cool vehicle designs and track burning speedsters!
dangeroustoy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Back from the District Derby

Post by dangeroustoy »

I came upon this site earlier this year when my son and I were getting ready for our Pack's Pinewood Derby. After doing some reading and learning from this message board I wanted to share our results! My son insisted on building the "Bumble Bee" car from the transformers movie, so after finding some photos of the 2009 Camaro we started our project. My son was a 2nd year Weblo scout and wanted to end his last pinewood season with a bang so we decided that not only did we want to build a fast car, but we wanted to look good too.

At the Pack race my son's car won several awards in the appearance categories including Best of Show, and Scout's choice. The car was also the fastest we had ever built but was not fast enough to win the event so he had to settle for second place in the race. Together we decided that we wanted to do more work to the car before the district event. What is the point of taking a 2nd place car to the championships. It appears that our extra work paid off as he finished 2nd in the district race, beating out the car that had beat him at the pack race. His car was also awarded "Best of Show" at district. Below are a few photos of his car and the awards presentation (my son is the one in the middle).

The red car in the last photo was the car that I built for the parents "outlaw race". I did pretty good finishing 2nd at the Pack race, then tuning the car well enough to win the district "Outlaw Division"!

I hope you enjoy the photos!

Dave Brisco

Last edited by dangeroustoy on Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Back from the District Derby

Post by Darin McGrew »

Sounds great, but can you post the photos somewhere that doesn't require an account to view them?
GravityRacer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by GravityRacer »

Just click on the "Club Hot Rod" tab, it'll take you away from that page. But I never did find the pix...
dangeroustoy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by dangeroustoy »

Sorry about that... I had posted some of these photos on Club Hot Rod and thought I could direct to them... I opened an account at Photo Bucket and re-tagged the photos so they hopefully you should be able to see them in the original post now... Sorry for the confusion!

Dave Brisco
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

I especially like the red hot rod. Great job!

Thanks for sharing the photos!
quadad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by quadad »

I can not believe the lines and the side view mirrors on that bumble bee car. Just unbelievable !!! :clap: That had to talk a lot of hours !

I also like the front wing for a little head start on the roadster. Nice subtle application
GravityRacer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by GravityRacer »

DOH! I totally missed that little trick! Also, I'd like to congratulate you on your artistry! That Charger is excellent!
dangeroustoy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by dangeroustoy »

Thanks for the compliments! The truth is that I have been amazed at the talent and skill level of the people that post on this forum! My son and I have been building racers for a number of years and throughout the years have seen most of what the internet has to offer and hands-down this place is the best!

Daren - I based my "Outlaw" car on a 33-34 Ford Coupe - Used the Pierson Brothers salt flat racer (shown below) as the inspiration.

quadad - Good call on the front wing! I attached another photo that better illustrates the advantage of having the front wing.

The story on the side mirrors is a good one. My son spent several hours carving/sanding morrors from a larger block of pine. As he was just about finished with them they broke, much to his disappointment! After taking a look at what he had done, I suggested that we use and X-acto knife and cut them from a 1/8 th inch thick piece of wood we found in the shop. It took us about 15 minutes to replace the originals that he had worked on for hours!!! It turned out to be a good father/son lesson on opening your mind to different options!

GravityRacer - I am glad you like the Charger. That was my son's car last year and we learned alot building that car. It started out as one of those cars from Hobby Lobby that has the plastic fenders. We spent lots of time on the car, but could just never get it to look right. We ended up making our own fender/sides out of wood and starting from scratch. I helped with the shaping of the car, but was very proud of the paint work my son did on the car. Of course it helps to have quality materials and the right tools to work with! Since the car you are talking about is in a different post, I thought I would add another photo of it here for everyone to see.

This car was the one my son raced last year. He won the Pack event and finished 4th at District. He also won "Best of Show" at district and "Best Paint" at the Pack race.

The other car in this last photo, is my version of a 41 Willys. This is the car I built for last years "Outlaw" race. It took 2nd at the Pack race as well as 2nd at the District race.

Thanks for the interest in our cars!

Dave Brisco [/img]
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Wow,

Some awesome art work and talent !

Sporty
millettbbc
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by millettbbc »

Absolutely amazing! Very few people can do what you do. Keep it up, even if everyone else is a little jealous. Especially loved the General Lee. We did one last year. Ours didn't win anything but was still fun to make http://derbytalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=3955 Have you considered doing any other TV/Movie cars?
PWD: The bug everyone catches and no one wants to let go.
dangeroustoy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by dangeroustoy »

Thanks for the compliments! My son is the one who likes the movie cars. He decided that building movie cars is the vay to go simply because all the other scouts and parents gravitate to those cars because they are fimiliar with them already. He really likes it when all the other scouts are cheering for the "General" or the "Bumble Bee"! I know that he was also considering building the "Blues Mobile".

I really like your version of the General Lee! I remember checking out the photos you had posted on the forum, very impressive!

Dave Brisco
dirtjoedirt
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by dirtjoedirt »

Outstanding work on Bee. Since my son and I are working on our version of bumblebee, I would love to see some more in progress pics.
dangeroustoy wrote:I came upon this site earlier this year when my son and I were getting ready for our Pack's Pinewood Derby. After doing some reading and learning from this message board I wanted to share our results! My son insisted on building the "Bumble Bee" car from the transformers movie, so after finding some photos of the 2009 Camaro we started our project. My son was a 2nd year Weblo scout and wanted to end his last pinewood season with a bang so we decided that not only did we want to build a fast car, but we wanted to look good too.

At the Pack race my son's car won several awards in the appearance categories including Best of Show, and Scout's choice. The car was also the fastest we had ever built but was not fast enough to win the event so he had to settle for second place in the race. Together we decided that we wanted to do more work to the car before the district event. What is the point of taking a 2nd place car to the championships. It appears that our extra work paid off as he finished 2nd in the district race, beating out the car that had beat him at the pack race. His car was also awarded "Best of Show" at district. Below are a few photos of his car and the awards presentation (my son is the one in the middle).

The red car in the last photo was the car that I built for the parents "outlaw race". I did pretty good finishing 2nd at the Pack race, then tuning the car well enough to win the district "Outlaw Division"!

I hope you enjoy the photos!

Dave Brisco

dangeroustoy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by dangeroustoy »

Sorry, I don't have any build pictures, but I might have same photos from other angles if you think that might help. Back when we were doing these projects we would dig up examples of the cars we wanted to try to build to have some reference of the details in the car. For the Camaro we used a Hot Wheels version as well as a small RC car my son had as well as a bunch of photos we found on the net. There is more info available now, since when we built this one the real car had not been introduced yet.

Dave Brisco