ORVC Pack 20 Champ

Show off your cool vehicle designs and track burning speedsters!
Den_Leader
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

ORVC Pack 20 Champ

Post by Den_Leader »

The man, the machines, the hardware. :)

Pineapple Cake I

Batmobile
Last edited by Den_Leader on Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slow Car Disease? ~ The cure is in your hands!
ranman106
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: ORVC Pack 20 Champ

Post by ranman106 »

Went to your links but they are not working :? .
The Wedge - It's not a doorstop, it's a way of life!
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

ranman106 wrote:Went to your links but they are not working :? .
Geocities blocks direct linking to images. You'll need to copy-paste the URLs into your browser's address bar.
ranman106
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ranman106 »

darin_mcgrew wrote:Geocities blocks direct linking to images. You'll need to copy-paste the URLs into your browser's address bar.
I didn't know that. I'll give it a try. Thanks!
The Wedge - It's not a doorstop, it's a way of life!
Sparky
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Sparky »

Those are some seriously huge trophies :shock:
Gavin Chafin
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Gavin Chafin »

Sparky wrote:Those are some seriously huge trophies :shock:
But not as big as the smile on his face.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

The certainly are huge!

This would create a huge problem for me. As chair of our district derby, I want to give meaningful trophies. I also want to give lots of them. The budget forces me toward smaller ... 10 to 12' varieties. Saturday's racing involved 57 trophies, including the medium sized trophy for Open Class Champ. (It really is for the kids, but I couldn't leave the "big kids" out.)

With this plan, the trophies I am able to give are probably not significantly larger than those given by packs.

I suspect that the boy equate "size" with "importance".

My grandson's council races (no district races there) give a total of 4 racing trophies (nice big ones), and my district gives 26 (5 per grade plus the "grand championship". Then there are the 3 per grade race car design and unusual design trophies.

So, should I try to steer the plan toward fewer, larger trophies? Any wisdom to share out there?
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Gavin Chafin
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Gavin Chafin »

Stan, big trophies are great, but any trophy is better than no trophy at all. Thus, I'd say "The more the merrier". Trophies are very important to children of that age (especially when it comes to something as memorable as the Pinewood Derby). If a child can leave the race with a trophy, no matter what the size, it's something they'll cherish forever.

I'm still irritated that our district race only gives out three trophies. I'll have to keep working on them.
terryep
Merchant
Merchant

Post by terryep »

In our local distrists the largest trophy is about 12" but the 1st place cub gets to keep a larger multi tiered trophy until next years race. These trophies have placques with the cub's name and home pack for like the past 20 years! This is more trouble for the organiser who has to keep track of the trophies and getting the placques to the winner days (months :wink: ) later.

http://personal.nbnet.nb.ca/terryep/Mar ... on2002.jpg

http://personal.nbnet.nb.ca/terryep/Mar ... 003Win.jpg

http://personal.nbnet.nb.ca/terryep/MarkNB2003.jpg This international trophy has the years winning team put on a placque, it's too large to go home :mrgreen:

Terry
Last edited by terryep on Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ExtremePWD
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ExtremePWD »

Gavin Chafin wrote: If a child can leave the race with a trophy, no matter what the size, it's something they'll cherish forever.
My daughter won the open class at a neighboring district. Her top dog trophy was only 5.5 inches tall but it might as well had been 3 feet tall! She was very thrilled with it. She also had a blast beating the boys who before the race told her she was going to lose.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Thanks for the wisdom, guys. I'll leave it to their parents to explain that it isn't the size of the trophy that is important; it is the accomplishment that the trophy represents.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
TurtlePowered
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TurtlePowered »

Stan Pope wrote:The certainly are huge!

This would create a huge problem for me. As chair of our district derby, I want to give meaningful trophies. I also want to give lots of them. The budget forces me toward smaller ... 10 to 12' varieties. Saturday's racing involved 57 trophies, including the medium sized trophy for Open Class Champ. (It really is for the kids, but I couldn't leave the "big kids" out.)

With this plan, the trophies I am able to give are probably not significantly larger than those given by packs.

I suspect that the boy equate "size" with "importance".

My grandson's council races (no district races there) give a total of 4 racing trophies (nice big ones), and my district gives 26 (5 per grade plus the "grand championship". Then there are the 3 per grade race car design and unusual design trophies.

So, should I try to steer the plan toward fewer, larger trophies? Any wisdom to share out there?
Our pack gave out little 2" trophies to all partipants. Each participants name was called out and he received congrats and applause. He also typically recieved a big smile on his face!
Den_Leader
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Den_Leader »

TurtlePowered wrote:Our pack gave out little 2" trophies to all participants. Each participants name was called out and he received congrats and applause. He also typically received a big smile on his face!
Our version was 3.5", other than that, ditto.

As far as trophy size goes, our cubmaster is a professional firearm engraver (currently working on one for G.W.B.), and had one of his connections through some engravers convention create the trophies for pack speed. He also created the participation trophies for each boy. If our committee had to spend any buck$ on trophies, they would have been smaller.

As the father of a son with two behemoths... I think that a small trophy might fare better over the long term. It wouldn't be that tough to incorporate small versions into a boy's area without being intrusive. Twenty years from now a large trophy will probably have no place in daily visibility. A smaller one could sit in some inconspicuous place in his office, home, etc., and provide a momentary lapse to these good old days more regularly.

Hand a boy a trophy, any size trophy, and you will have a happy boy to deal with. :D Leaning toward the small side and providing hardware to more boys seems like the best way to go IMHO.
Slow Car Disease? ~ The cure is in your hands!
ExtremePWD
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ExtremePWD »

My Tiger (1st Grader) is sitting in my lap right now so I quizzed him on trophies. He said he didn't care how big the trophy was. He just has fun racing and even more fun if he wins any trophy.
campngolf
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by campngolf »

My son and I are just starting our first PWD car so I have no experience with this big trophy/little trophy issue. But I kinda look at it the same way I view the lottery. Why the heck do they have such big prizes for so few people. Why not increase the odds of many more folks winning one of many smaller prizes.

More smaller trophies would make many more kids happy.