Razor Scooter derby car?

Show off your cool vehicle designs and track burning speedsters!
SoloTSi97
Journeyman
Journeyman

Razor Scooter derby car?

Post by SoloTSi97 »

For this year's derby, one of my sons has decided he wants to build a Razor Scooter (with four wheels, of course). The idea seems pretty straightforward to me, but if anyone out there has done something similar in the past, we're open to suggestions on materials, photos, etc. Searching didn't turn anything up.

I'm sure I'll be back once the other son makes up his mind ... ;-)

Merry Christmas all!

-Bob
shawnr5
Pine Head
Pine Head

Re: Razor Scooter derby car?

Post by shawnr5 »

I don't think I've seenit done before, but be very careful to use light materials for your upright and handlebars. Otherwise, his car will have a high CG and will be unstable. You might also want to find out how high the finish gate is. It would be a real shame to get stopped by the gate and not finish a single heat.
If no one is questioning whether our cars are legal, I'm not working hard enough at interpreting the rules.
zeezop
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by zeezop »

Or create it so the handle bars fold down; up for show, down for racing.
SoloTSi97
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by SoloTSi97 »

Agreed, I was considering fold-down bars like the real ones do. The high CG problem is kinda why I'm here ... Hoping y'all have some suggestions there. We did a car a couple years ago with exhaust pipes, using aluminum tubing that is very light. It may work. He's more interested in the appearance anyway, but we may as well make it as quick as we can, too.

Thanks for the suggestions, keep 'em coming!
dna1990
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by dna1990 »

Nah, just use balsa for upright...

Main thing is to experiement and find a good metalic silver paint. It has to look 'metal' to pull off the effect IMO.

Try sanding sealer and/or various primers (or thinned epoxy coats, etc) and paint combos on scraps. Especially the balsa.

Not all spray metalic paints look 'right' regardless of the primer base. Get the shiny reflective one.

From an appearance standpoint, the only thing may be scale. The typical block width and length will be a little stubby looking. Scooters bases have that long skinny proportion.
SoloTSi97
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by SoloTSi97 »

Good point. I actually have some "Aluminum" spray paint we used for another project that turned out *very* metallic & real looking. We're definitely planning to use that same paint again. With some good sealer, we should be able to get rid of the wood grain look and make it look like metal.

As for the proportions, I don't think he's going to be too concerned. We may try to do some trimming in the width department (while leaving full-width sections at the axle slots) to try and give it some of that long slender look you're referring to. The challenge will of course then become where to put the weight! :thinking:

Thanks!

-Bob
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

If you are trying to get a silver metallic look, there is aluminum duct tape that you can get from a home center that might suit. I used to have some laying around. If I recall correctly, just cut to length and then peel off the adhesive backing.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
SoloTSi97
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by SoloTSi97 »

Thanks Randy, I know exactly the stuff you're talking about. I'm pretty sure I have some in the workshop somewhere. I'll keep that in mind. I'll be in touch, btw, to upgrade our pack's copy of GPRM for this year's race! :-)
dna1990
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by dna1990 »

Most razors have the back wheel 'cup' that acts as a brake. Not sure how, but that looks like the best place to make/hide weight.

We expect pics when you are done of course.

And you are right, time to test out v9! :nod:
ah8tk
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ah8tk »

maybe something like this:

You would have to design around 2 rear wheels (or you could make the "cup" cover both rear wheels and it might look like one). I saw one of these at Wally Mart tonight and immediately thought of this post.
SoloTSi97
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by SoloTSi97 »

My daughter has the pink version of that exact scooter. I like your idea of covering both rear wheels to make them look like one!
millettbbc
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by millettbbc »

I did have time to post all the replies so my apologies if I am off the mark.

Have you considered something besides wood for the handles? Most small brushes used in plumbing to administer flux have a shiny chrome handle and are very light weight. Just a thought.
PWD: The bug everyone catches and no one wants to let go.