Tyler Wins Tiger Class at District

Show off your cool vehicle designs and track burning speedsters!
zymaze
Apprentice
Apprentice

Tyler Wins Tiger Class at District

Post by zymaze »

Here is a picture of my son Tyler's car that ran and won at the Chain Bridge District Pinewood Derby in Virginia, in the Tiger Class. The car had the second fastest time of all cars (based on the best recorded times) although the Classes do not race off for a Grand Winner.

This was our first year and I had never heard of the Pinewood Derby, nor did I have a home "shop" or any useful knowledge of woodworking. However, feeling totally inadequate to the task inspired me to spend countless hours reading up on the subject (this website was the best) and then teaching what I learned to my son. Although only six Tyler helped cut the wood (copping saw) drill holes in the body, sand and buff the body, axles and wheels, pick the colors and spray the paint. Next year he will do even more.

I did spent a couple of hundred dollars on little derby tools and supplies(tungsten, paint, graphite lube, etc.) but I plan on using the tools again over the next number of years.

I must say you-all(the other photos) have much bigger trophies than we do -- but it was still lots of fun.

And we will only be faster next year (and maybe have a shinier finish--baby steps)

Last edited by zymaze on Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Tyler Wins Tiger Class at District

Post by FatSebastian »

zymaze wrote:I did spent a couple of hundred dollars on little derby tools and supplies
:thumbup: Welcome to Pinewood Derby! :lol:
zymaze wrote:I must say you-all(the other photos) have much bigger trophies than we do -- but it was still lots of fun.
I must admit I like the little stand with the backing that looks like a vanity license plate. Congrats Tyler!
zymaze
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by zymaze »

The little derby tools are a blessing and a curse.

It saved me from buying a drill press and other large machinery which I just don't have the room, money or use for (beyond PD), but without them it is very hard to compete to win. It seems that many of the most competitive scouts have fathers that have home wood shops or have jobs that involve construction or building things. But, I guess it has been that way from the beginning.

I just read Don Murphy's book on starting the PD back in 1953. The Grand Prize Winner of the very first PD was Richard Hoffman. Guess what his father did? Attorney, Milkman, Accountant; no, he worked at Hughs Aircraft as an aerospace engineer where he designed tools!

So knowledge and experience and shop tools count for a lot, unless you have a bunch of the tiny derby tools (and a drill and dremel with tiny attachments)!
doct1010
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by doct1010 »

zymaze wrote:So knowledge and experience and shop tools count for a lot, unless you have a bunch of the tiny derby tools (and a drill and dremel with tiny attachments)!
....and DT with Stan Pope pushing the envelope. :bigups:
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by rpcarpe »

The key to doing well at PWD is working together.
If you've learned something, and Tyler has too, you've already succeeded before the first heat.

Racing fast is because of knowledge and commitment. At our family reunion race, me and my son's cars beat six brothers and all their kids. Two brothers are orthopedic surgeons (work w/ hands) one is a self-taught mechanic (he took 3rd), another built his own homes, another has worked in woodworking and home-repair for 25+ years. I was considered the 'clumsy' one when it came to hammer and nails etc... not anymore!

I'd purchased David Meade's little book, read it, followed what I could with the tools I had on hand... absolutely smoked 'em!
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.
zymaze
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by zymaze »

doct1010 wrote:....and DT with Stan Pope pushing the envelope.
Derby Talk has been indispensable and I try to read everything Stan Pope writes although I probably only understand about 80% at this point; but the more I read the more I understand--I shooting for 95% comprehension by the start of the 2010-2011 PD season. :idea:
woodworx
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by woodworx »

Lol 80% your your doing well, way beyond me for sure. I enjoy reading all the technical replies that a big share of the members give, I am amazed by how smart they are for sure. But for my son and I get more out of posts from sporty and and some others that speak more in a language that we can understand.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

:offtopic:
woodworx wrote:Lol 80% your your doing well, way beyond me for sure.
This coming from the guy who's getting his own wind tunnel? You're way too modest! :lol: (Seriously though, please keep us informed as to how things work out with the tunnel. :eager: )
OneTimeRunner
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by OneTimeRunner »

Congrats!

I like the trophy you got better. It lets you sow of the car. We'll have to build or by a stand for my son's car.
zymaze wrote:I try to read everything Stan Pope
Me too. Stan is destined to go down in history as the patron saint of the Pinewood Derby. :angel: Sebastian, and Max, and a lot of others on this board aren't too far behind.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

:offtopic:
OneTimeRunner wrote:Sebastian, and Max, and a lot of others on this board aren't too far behind.
:oops: Thanks OTR, but I must confess I merely walk in the long shadow of Stan, GPRM, sporty, and other Pine Head Legends (some of whom are officially retired from PWD)... to be honest 98% of the time I am basically just repeating what someone else already said.
woodworx
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by woodworx »

I for sure will Be doing updates on the wind tunnel testing as soon as I figure out what everything does. Maybe it will not prove a thing, but we will not know till we try. I will be trying hard to get a team mate to help with testing that is way more analytical than i could ever be to give some accurate test results for you fine gents that can help make sense of the data it gives us.
zymaze
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by zymaze »

...I am basically just repeating what someone else already said.
Thank you for doing so! Most of us new to the forum cannot go back and read all that has been discussed. Repetition is much appreciated! :thumbup:
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by *5 J's* »

zymaze wrote:
doct1010 wrote:....and DT with Stan Pope pushing the envelope.
Derby Talk has been indispensable and I try to read everything Stan Pope writes although I probably only understand about 80% at this point; but the more I read the more I understand--I shooting for 95% comprehension by the start of the 2010-2011 PD season. :idea:
:nod: I have the same goal 95% comprehension by the start of the 2010-2011 PWD season
zymaze
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by zymaze »

*5 J's* wrote:
zymaze wrote:
:nod: I have the same goal 95% comprehension by the start of the 2010-2011 PWD season
....a....and a 100% comprehension of all DT acronyms :idk:
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

zymaze wrote:...and a 100% comprehension of all DT acronyms :idk:
FWIW, I found GPRM's lexicon page to be a valuable aid in that regard. :thumbup: (And if you feel there's something missing from the current lexicon, try posting a reply to this topic?)