Our 2011 cars

Show off your cool vehicle designs and track burning speedsters!
DenDadBob
Apprentice
Apprentice

Our 2011 cars

Post by DenDadBob »

Tonight is our Pack’s Derby. Here are our cars for this year. This year we are trying a rail rider for the first time on my 3rd grader’s car, the silver one. Information from this board has been very helpful in setting this up. It is about 5/16” thick before paint and uses ¼” tungsten cubes for weight.
My kindergartener’s most important requirement for his car was that it be red. Since he does not have the patience to align a rail rider, it is set up with straight alignment and all four wheels on the ground.
For my outlaw car I built a ducted fan car, using the kit from MaxV. However, since I wanted to hide as much as possible, all I ended up using from the kit was the fan and the micro switch. I used super-capacitors as described in a recent MaxV newsletter, so I didn’t need the kill switch. The body is mostly hollow, with spaces for the battery, capacitors and wiring. It could probably use some decals or something to jazz it up, but I spent most of my time getting everything but the fan hidden.

Scubersteve
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Our 2011 cars

Post by Scubersteve »

Sharp looking cars. Good job on hiding everything on the outlaw. Be sure to let us know how tonight goes for you all.
If you don't take your fun seriously, who will?
DenDadBob
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by DenDadBob »

The race went very well. My 3rd grader was fastest in the pack and my kindergartener was 3rd.
The Outlaw car was a big hit. The only prboblem was stopping it at the end.

http://s841.photobucket.com/albums/zz33 ... 110094.mp4" target="_blank
Scubersteve
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scubersteve »

wow, that was a harsh stop. how quick was that run anyway?
If you don't take your fun seriously, who will?
DenDadBob
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by DenDadBob »

The time for that run was 1.7612 sec. I got lucky and survived two runs without any damage.