The Final Pack Pinewood Derby

Show off your cool vehicle designs and track burning speedsters!
john4840
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

The Final Pack Pinewood Derby

Post by john4840 »

My Son had his last Pack Pinewood Derby yesterday. He came in 1st place for the 3rd year in the row. It was a little stressful for him because his car this year was not aligned well as the past 2 cars. It had some nasty wiggles towards the end of it's runs and it jumped off the track on one of them. The car also noticably slower then the past 2 cars. At the end of the regular races there was a 3 way tie for 1st place and his pack had a 3 car run off for overall 1st place with each car running down each of 3 the lanes. He won all 3 race and first place for his pack. We took a look at his car this mourning and it looks like the rear wheels were fighting each other making the car wiggle. We have 2 weeks to work on the car before the district race to make the alignment better.

John

sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: The Final Pack Pinewood Derby

Post by sporty »

Congrats, sounds like a few nail biter moments.

Nice pic.

Sporty
Aron
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Aron »

Congrats. Cool car!
PhantomVirus
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by PhantomVirus »

Congratulations. Interesting in that you can modify the car still after the local races. our rules dictate that the cubmaster impound the top 3 cars for Districts so 'no additional work' is done on them - which I appreciate as I would most likely ruin it if I had time to tweak it ;-)

Good luck!
ciodude
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ciodude »

Congrats!

Is the Summit Racing Equipment named after the new BSA high adventure camp, Summit Bechtel Reserve, or just a coincident?
john4840
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by john4840 »

Thank you guys.
PhantomVirus wrote:Congratulations. Interesting in that you can modify the car still after the local races. our rules dictate that the cubmaster impound the top 3 cars for Districts so 'no additional work' is done on them - which I appreciate as I would most likely ruin it if I had time to tweak it Good luck!
I am glad we can, aleast this year, we found why it was wobbling. One of the back wheels was damaged either during the derby or test and tune night. When we were rolling the car down the test board we seen it wobbling, this is what caused the car to jump off the track. All is repaired and we are ready to go for the districts.
ciodude wrote:Congrats! Is the Summit Racing Equipment named after the new BSA high adventure camp, Summit Bechtel Reserve, or just a coincident?
No Summit Racing is company that sell after market car parts. 2 years ago we sent for color changing paint that we used to paint my Son's PWD car in the box we received the paint, Summit Racing included some stickers. We decided to use the sticker this year, We had to cut it down some to get it to fit on the car.

John
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

John4840, Congrats.
And best of luck to you guys at District.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
BallBoy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by BallBoy »

Congrats on the win. I like the look of the tungsten triangle.
john4840
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by john4840 »

Thank you guys.
BallBoy wrote:Congrats on the win. I like the look of the tungsten triangle.
We were go with another 3.5 ounce tungsten canopy but MaxV advertized the tungsten triangles. My boy liked the different shape so we went with it. They are about 1 ounce lighter then the canopy so made up the the difference with some tungsten cubes.

John
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by rpcarpe »

Sounds like a great night of racing!
I also picked up a batch of those triangle tungstens... they've all been picked up and used.
Good luck at District.
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.
john4840
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by john4840 »

Thank you rp.
Shawn Stebleton
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Shawn Stebleton »

Congratulations on your son's pack win! My son won his pack, too, and will compete against yours this Saturday. Your son set the bar last year for my son to try to beat this year, as my son finished 2nd to yours.

I wish I had joined Derby Talk earlier, as we could have met at our pack's Pinewood Derby Fun Day we hosted on the 7th. I was the one routing weight pockets, pickup truck beds, and other innards of boys' cars. I hope your son had fun at the event. I wish I could have seen more of what was going on, but that comes with the territory.

Good luck Saturday! (Not too much, though :mrgreen: !)
Shawn
PhantomVirus
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by PhantomVirus »

NICE use of the Maximum Velocity Tungsten Arrow ;-) I wondered who else bought those this year (besides us!)

Props to Randy for making those available!

Good luck @ Districts, glad you could fix the issue!
Last edited by PhantomVirus on Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by rpcarpe »

I picked up a batch of the triangle weights, will post photos when the cars get completed.
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.
john4840
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by john4840 »

Shawn Stebleton wrote:Congratulations on your son's pack win! My son won his pack, too, and will compete against yours this Saturday. Your son set the bar last year for my son to try to beat this year, as my son finished 2nd to yours.

I wish I had joined Derby Talk earlier, as we could have met at our pack's Pinewood Derby Fun Day we hosted on the 7th. I was the one routing weight pockets, pickup truck beds, and other innards of boys' cars. I hope your son had fun at the event. I wish I could have seen more of what was going on, but that comes with the territory.

Good luck Saturday! (Not too much, though :mrgreen: !)
I am sorry that I saw this late, but I have been busy the past few days. I think you guys that help out at Pack 207 PWD Fun Day do a great thing for all the kids and parents that don't have a clue about building PWD car. This year was the first year I was able to attend it and my Son and I had a great time. My Son is crossing over on Feb. 11 and a Boy Scouts adult leader at district race suggested to him that he sould volunteer to help out at distrct race next year for service time. Maybe he might be able to do same thing at your pack PWD Fun Day?
PhantomVirus wrote:NICE use of the Maximum Velocity Tungsten Arrow ;-) I wondered who else bought those this year (besides us!)

Props to Randy for making those available!

Good luck @ Districts, glad you could fix the issue!
Thank you PhantomVirus. Yes I like the triangle weights and their price was great. Can't wait to see the pictures rp.

John