Our 2012 Pack Cars

Show off your cool vehicle designs and track burning speedsters!
VWAffe
Journeyman
Journeyman

Our 2012 Pack Cars

Post by VWAffe »

This year was a bit hectic, but a great PWD experience for all... a brand-new 42' BestTrack, some new additions to the race crew, and no race-day drama (pre-empted by the crew and better planning), and more for the kids to do made for a great day. We're taking our track on the road to another pack and maybe a local Lowe's.

But, all that put me and the boys behind the curve, and we had to slap together our cars in a week - not the intricate carvings from last year, but they still won awards for speed and looks.

1. My senior Webelos' Minecraft Pig car. He decided to go for scale proportions and forgo outright speed (he's cleaned up the last two years). Got to say, his was cool. The body is hollow and the top comes off for fine-tuning weight. His award for funniest car was mostly due to the effects of a high CG and short wheelbase... the car would do a front flip every time it hit the stop section!

He was fastest off the line and down the hill, but trying to RR with the short wheelbase on a BestTrack was not a good idea: the tight-radius transition curve would pull the high front wheel down to contact the track... setting up a wiggle and slowing it down. He came away happy, though... won the peoples' choice for funniest car. He wants to build a real speedster for the council races in 2 months... game on.

2. My wolf's Racing Cage - the "Paddy Waggin", conceived as a circus train/wagon car, but his choice on the paint scheme made it a little different. The racing puppies were the only animal he wanted to put in it that we could find. Cage bars are 0.078 piano wire, and it was also set up to RR. He took 3rd in his den behind the eventual pack winner and one other car. Again, the choice of deisgn and resulting forward, centered CG hampered the car's stability in the transition curve, but his long wheelbase made his consistently faster than his older brother's. Little man has really gotten into the axle prep process and did an excellent job.

Cheers!
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Our 2012 Pack Cars

Post by Darin McGrew »

Those are some nice looking cars! Thanks for sharing!
Aron
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Aron »

Wow you guys did those in a week. Nice work!
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

:O Wow!!! Now those are some COOL looking cars VWAffe,

There gos my "PaddyWaggin" :idea: IDEA..
:mrgreen:
Whoda.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by rpcarpe »

Cute cars. It's good that the kids understand the trade-offs in design and speed. You can have a 4" high car, but it might not be very fast.
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.
ciodude
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ciodude »

Very cool designs, I love them both!
VWAffe wrote:Cage bars are 0.078 piano wire
OK I am curious - where does one buy piano wire?
pgosselin
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pgosselin »

I love the fact that you can get at least one of them to perform decently even though you went high concept with it. Kudos.

Paul