Strykker RR 2013

Show off your cool vehicle designs and track burning speedsters!
tmack
Journeyman
Journeyman

Re: Strykker RR 2013

Post by tmack »

Thanks for the times Shawn...Tommy will have to work harder next year. Gotta find that extra 0.05s of speed! We skimped on wheel prep + didnt even consider weight placement beyond 5/8 COM..the offcenter placement you mentioned really interests me. Also kicking around the idea of not letting the raised wheel spin . You still need to explain that 8"/4' drift to me! I've read that its better to have too much drift than not enough but wow, I'm still scratching my head on that one. lol

John, We will definately go to the 3.5oz canopy as well next year. I'm guessing we will go with the same basic design..STRYKKER'S REVENGE!!! :lol:

Tom
Shawn Stebleton
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Shawn Stebleton »

tmack wrote:the offcenter placement you mentioned really interests me.
The further back the COM the less off-center it needs to be to have equal weight on the rears. You might have to move the tungsten about 1/4" or 3/8" towards the DFW side, depending on the fore-aft COM location and actual amount of tungsten, to achieve it. If you're off a little, the effect is minimal. We may have been able to move our weights over only 1/16" or maybe 1/8", so it wasn't optimal, but close enough for us. We didn't worry about it. Alignment was our bug-a-boo the past two years. We solved it this year.
tmack wrote:You still need to explain that 8"/4' drift to me! I've read that its better to have too much drift than not enough but wow, I'm still scratching my head on that one. lol
We didn't want that much. Two reasons we ended up with it:
  • We didn't know for certain what kind of track we would run on. It ended up being the same Best Track (from the same pack) as last year, with one lane not working. It was a different Best Track (don't have any pics to see if it was the old or new curve) the previous two years, as it had color tape in the rail channels, and it had rather rough joints. The two years before that was a wood track that was decently smooth, and the year before was on some track I couldn't tell what it was made of. Both the wood track and the unknown material track had profiles similar to the How-To book profile. Yes, this was the 7th consecutive district race a child of mine was in.
  • In trying to dial it in, we seemed to not get anything in between the 8" and straight-running that ran consistently on the board and was stable. I'm chalking that one up to having to use slots because they don't want anyone using solid axles and need to inspect for that. We opted for stability. We choose right, but we were nervous.
Shawn
john4840
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by john4840 »

tmack wrote:John, We will definately go to the 3.5oz canopy as well next year. I'm guessing we will go with the same basic design..STRYKKER'S REVENGE!!! :lol:

Tom
LOL Tom. Nice!! :lol:

You should make a car too and run it in the old timers and scout race. I believe my son and I will do it again next year. The race is right before the tigers race.

By the way when I was watching the tigers race I saw a car that had 3.5 ounce tungsten canopy and it was fast. It did 2.85's on lane 2 and 3, and 2.88 on the slow lane 1. Your son will most likely will be running against him next year.

John