Make it shiny...check!

Show off your cool vehicle designs and track burning speedsters!
having_wandered
Pine Head
Pine Head

Make it shiny...check!

Post by having_wandered »

Still a work in progress. The covering is adhesive backed copper foil.

Thinking of adding flames, also still need to paint the arrow on the top.

Having_Wandered
~Not all who wander are lost.
chromegsx
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Make it shiny...check!

Post by chromegsx »

aaahhhh! I can't see! You blinded me. You should have warned me in the title. :lol:

Neat. looks kinda like a gold leaf like product but sounds easier to apply. What's its product name and where do you find it?
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

having_wandered wrote:The covering is adhesive backed copper foil.
Great idea! We once had a car so thin, some of the boys accused us of having it made out of metal instead of wood. This type of covering would have only reinforced their suspicions.
having_wandered
Pine Head
Pine Head

Bare-Metal made by Bare Metal Foil Co. out of Farmington. Got it at my local hobby store while I was looking at paint. Something about it grabbed my eye... :-)

It came in a 6x11 sheet. I've put a clear topcoat on it to keep the edges from getting peeled up. Definitely a new challenge to work with especially on the complex curves.
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

I see you cover the whole car up to the slots. Did you ask about this being considered a bushing in a previous thread? I guess you decided its not. Was it hard to cover the slots without making a sharp edge anywhere?
Seth
P.S. looks cool
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
having_wandered
Pine Head
Pine Head

Noskills wrote:I see you cover the whole car up to the slots. Did you ask about this being considered a bushing in a previous thread? I guess you decided its not. Was it hard to cover the slots without making a sharp edge anywhere?
Seth
P.S. looks cool
Thanks!

I ended up spraying a couple coats of clear gloss coat laquer over it, so if the wheel rubs, it is going to rub against a laquer finish, not the metal. So that pretty much eliminated the issue.

The foil is very thin and easily indents so it formed nicely around the slots. I knocked down some of the wrinkles by rolling my xacto knife handle over them, and took care of some with fine sandpaper. I polished the entire car then wiped it down with alcohol before spraying on the clear coat. The edges that were unavoidable were smoothed over by the gloss coat.

I've cut out the slots so they are fully open for inspection, although we don't require the slots.
Mr. Steve 316
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Mr. Steve 316 »

That looks great and it sounds like you worked out the installation process. We tried in the past to use some of these spray metal paints that are out now. We had some mixed results, like clear coating dulled and darkened the color. Also sanding it completely destroyed the shine. But, it worked great for painting tire rims since it completely covered with one coat and no clear coating or sanding was called for. We didn't try every type on the market, some may work better than others. Nice looking car!
Keep Moving Forward!

Mr. Steve - Pack 316