3 Cars - Down to the Wire! (Weigh-In is Tomorrow)

Show off your cool vehicle designs and track burning speedsters!
Scrollsawer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

3 Cars - Down to the Wire! (Weigh-In is Tomorrow)

Post by Scrollsawer »

Well, work is doing a real number on my car builds this year. Managing customers in all four corners of the globe (long hours), and a daughter who decided last-minute to enter a car, we're coming down to the wire on these three car builds.

'Weigh-In' and 'Car Impoundment' is tomorrow night, and we still need to polish the wheels & axles, assemble the cars, and tune / glue-in the axles. Oh yes, and we've got one car that is notoriously close to being at weight (sans graphite and tuning). Good times...

Here are the cars:

The 'Pink Copperhead' car (obviously my daughter's) is going to get valentines hearts added to it tonight (no weight issues with this car - plenty of room for final weighting). 22 tungsten cubes around the rear axle.

The 'Fire & Ice' car is also good, from a weight perspective (4.8 oz., projected weight after assembly - tungsten putty to bring to weight). The COM is between 1/4 and 3/8 inches. 23 tungsten cubes around the rear axle.

The green 'Minecraft Creeper' car (it's a VERY popular video game with boys right now) is the one that's got me concerned. When weighed on a scale (with the wheels and axles included, but not yet assembled, or any graphite added) comes to 4.98 ounces. I will need to consider sanding what's left off the bottom to try and gain a couple more grams back hopefully. The COM is between 3/8 and 1/2 inches. 23 tungsten cubes around the rear axle.

Input / Suggestions / Criticisms are most welcomed.

Thanks,

Scrollsawer
"Laugh a while you can Monkey Boy."
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: 3 Cars - Down to the Wire! (Weigh-In is Tomorrow)

Post by Speedster »

Beautiful cars. Very aggressive COMs. I'm eager to hear how you do. Good Luck.
Scrollsawer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scrollsawer »

Speedster, will post assembled car pics. tomorrow before car impoundment, and actual results on how each car fared sometime over the weekend.
DerbyDash
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by DerbyDash »

I too am interested in the results with the COMs where they are. Our car isn't as thin, more like a wedge, but COM is currently at 3/4" which is about as aggressive as I am willing to go (at least for this year!)

Based on other posts about wobbling issues, I get concerned in having a more aggressive COM without being able to test it on a track.

We won last year with something a bit over 3/4" and it was rock solid....never lost a race, no wobbling and won by over a car length every time.

Good racing!
Scrollsawer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scrollsawer »

Yeah, I'm reserving the right to make final weighting adjustments (using putty) under the front axles to pull that COM out just a wee bit, if needed. I still need to measure the COM with the axles and wheels installed, but 'all things being equal', I'm assuming it will be close to where it is now.

Scrollsawer
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

Super thin and slick cars. I agree that the COM would make me nervous. Like the mindcraft car. My son has a Zombies vs Plants car, but that game is so yesterday as he play mindcraft now. Do all these cars have the double row of 7 cubes behind the rear axel? Let us know how the tuning goes. All 3 wheel RR I assume.
Noskills
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

They look fantastic. Im really impressed...

Sporty
Scrollsawer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scrollsawer »

Thanks Sporty, they will look much better with the wheels attached. And were-weighed the Minecraft car. It's actually 4.90 oz., so we have a whopping .10 oz. to get it to weight (sigh of relief). Noskills, yes, they are all canted, rears, RR, and raised wheel. FB and others opinions on the 7 cube weighting convinced us to change the cars weighting, so now they are all 12 cubes in back, and the rest in front of the rear axle.

Scrollsawer
Scrollsawer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scrollsawer »

Not FB, FS, and others advice (especially Sporty's) really has helped us. Yes, the COMs are extremely aggressive, but I am hoping that smaller wheel gaps, and a little more 'steer' into the rail, will do the trick.

Scrollsawer
davidwilkie
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by davidwilkie »

Scrollsawer wrote:Yeah, I'm reserving the right to make final weighting adjustments (using putty) under the front axles to pull that COM out just a wee bit, if needed. I still need to measure the COM with the axles and wheels installed, but 'all things being equal', I'm assuming it will be close to where it is now.

Scrollsawer
I think when you add the wheels and axles the COM will move considerably forward. It's simple physics. The rear wheels and axles will be just a 1/2" away from the COM, but the front ones are like 4" away, so they will have 8x the effect on the COM as the front ones. That explains how you have such a small COM with what looks like a design consistent with 3/4"-1"-ish COMs.
Curse You Red Baron!
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Curse You Red Baron! »

I saw the effect that David mentions... I saw my son's com go up at least 1/8 of an inch, if I measured correctly, once the wheels were added - I wasn't being overly precise with the initial measurements.
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

Don't you guys measure COM with the wheels on?
Noskills
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
Scrollsawer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scrollsawer »

Noskills, I'm relative 'newbie' to advanced car build principles, so I probably shouldn't quote COMs until the car is finished. :?

I will repost the cars pics. Later today with revised COMs. Learning a LOT on this board, thanks to you seasoned veterans! :bigups:

Thanks,

Scrollsawer
Curse You Red Baron!
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Curse You Red Baron! »

Noskills, yes, if I quote a com it's with the wheels attached. However, I do measure the com before I attach the wheels just to see if I'm in the right ballpark, because I prefer not to be messing with weights and glue once I have the wheels attached... at that point I try to be close enough that I'm just adding on lead tape for final .1 oz or so.

Of course, sometimes in the rush of the build I'll forget things that I should keep in mind - like how easy it is to balance wheels on the car even if they are not attached, to get a truer picture of the final com :oops:
Lead Reindeer
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Lead Reindeer »

Love the digital camo. Did you use a stencil or did you freehand mask that pattern?