Our 2013 derby car photos

Show off your cool vehicle designs and track burning speedsters!
jmalsa
Journeyman
Journeyman

Our 2013 derby car photos

Post by jmalsa »

So I just thought I would share our family pics this year. No top speed awards this year. My oldest son Joey who is a Webelos 2 got a third is his den. He does have a previous 1st in Pack. His den also won the fastest den award which was great seeing it was their last derby as scouts. My other son Zack who is a Wolf got 2nd in Pack last year nothing this year :cry: . We did come away with some design awards. Myself Joe won Best non-scout design out of 30 entries. It is the only design award for the adults and friends and sibling division. Joey won actually two scout design awards out of 33 entires (most creative and most artistic) again this year but can only come home with one. He took home most creative. So now onto the pics.
ImageImage
Above: My 5 year old daughters entry. The Princess wedding car.
Below: Joey's award winning design. :thumbup: The tokens were just for show they came off for racing.
ImageImage

Below: Zack's football design.
ImageImage

Below: My wife Leah. Her penguin car. She has won a best non scout design award in the past so I was trying to best her this year. :nervous:
ImageImage

Below this year my winning design. :mrgreen: I recently became a school bus driver. It wasn't the slowest either.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Below are some pics of the new car stands I built for our Pack. They are light, sturdy and hold 48 cars each. Using construction foam and some wood I ripped down and cut.
ImageImage
DerbyDash
Pine Head
Pine Head

Re: Our 2013 derby car photos

Post by DerbyDash »

Very cool cars :thumbup:

.....but my one question is what was the bus made out of??
Scrollsawer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scrollsawer »

I love the Pac-Man car. Seriously...I may have to steal the design for next year. :)

Regards,

Scrollsawer
"Laugh a while you can Monkey Boy."
jmalsa
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by jmalsa »

The bus was made out of craft foam. I made two foam parts. One top and one bottom. They were both hollowed out and there was a piece of balsa wood in between them. I even put seats and a steering wheel inside made out of balsa wood also. I then covered it with Modgepodge. The Modgepodge really added a lot of weight. I started out with a quarter inch wing underneath which I then had to cut sections out of just to get it under weight. I was at about 4.97oz without any extra weights. Obviously my goal was to win design and I accomplished that. For speed out of 63 entries I was 56th. With an average time of 3.7819 on a 40 ft. Supertrack.
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

All very nice. What wrap did you use for the princess wedding and what type of characters are they?
Seth
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Very nice looking cars and Bus.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
MaxV
Merchant
Merchant

Post by MaxV »

What wrap did you use for the princess wedding
It is a "Safari" body skin, made by PineCar.
jmalsa
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by jmalsa »

Noskills wrote:All very nice. What wrap did you use for the princess wedding and what type of characters are they?
Seth
MaxV is correct on the body skin. We used princess Squinkies as our riders. Some were attached with glue dots but with the Squinkies being rubber a few did not want to stick so I trimmed down a sewing pin. Pushed the point into the car and then put the Squinkie over it.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

Those are some great designs! Thanks for sharing!