Ready for this years Pack Race - District Results Added

Show off your cool vehicle designs and track burning speedsters!
dubldart340
Apprentice
Apprentice

Ready for this years Pack Race - District Results Added

Post by dubldart340 »

Well, the boys and I have the cars ready for Saturday's race. In addition, we knocked a badge requirement of the list. One of their Bear requirements is to build a toolbox with common hand tools. Well, we have enough toolboxes around the house, including their own, so we decided to build carry cases for their cars using similar techniques to those required in the book. All parts were hand cut, glued and nailed together by the boys with my help (except for using the table saw to cut the lids off after making the boxes. I did that part.). We even topped them off with some silly sketches of the cars I did one night with them a few weeks back. The cars rest on felt-covered risers and are held down by foam placed on top before closing the lid. They have yet to apply a finish, but hopefully they will down the road.

This will be my second year as race coordinator and I think we have a pretty good event planned with Den races, a Pack championship race with the individual winners and runners up, plus if time permits, we plan on having a fun race for anyone who wants to participate. We have a small pack, so the fun race can add a lot to the evening. Otherwise, we would be done with the whole race in about an hour.

Here is a pic that I posted in another thread of this years cars for our family. They are Dad, Twin #1, Mom, and Twin #2; from left to right:

Last edited by dubldart340 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
ah8tk
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Ready for this years Pack Race

Post by ah8tk »

Very nice carrying boxes, great looking cars. I really like the drawings on the covers of the boxes, great job. These will be treasures for your boys in the future.

I, myself would like to see more pictures of the Dart (dad's car) on the left.
dubldart340
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by dubldart340 »

Actually, it is a Dart. It is based off of my real life car. Here are a few shots from the build:

and Here is the real car:

Proportions are a bit off, but I am very happy with how it came out. It is pretty fast too especially since I didn't spend a lot of time tuning it, I was just trying to show the kids what you could do with a bit of determination.
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

Nice stuff. The twins might be twins but I see some divergence in their car styles and strategies.
Seth
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
dubldart340
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by dubldart340 »

Yes, this year they both definitely had different ideas of what they wanted. Last years cars were both similar to the blue converitble, and did well at both pack and district, but were beat at both in later rounds by flatter cars, therefore my one son decided he wanted the wedge car this year so that he can win. We'll see what happens. We don't have anyone in our pack this year that will go to extremes on building and tuning a car, so I expect things to go well, as both cars are pretty much equal in testing. think they can hold their own against most anything that will be there.
dubldart340
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Ready for this years Pack Race - Race Results

Post by dubldart340 »

Well, the race went well from an operation standpoint. Everyone seemed to have fun.

From my boys' standpoint, they did pretty good. The green wedge won the bears den and his twin brother was runner-up. Unfortunately, with twins they both can't win because they are always in the same den. They both advanced to the pack race where the blue convertible lost to the eventual runner-up. The green wedge, however was the overall pack champ. Now we go to districts next month where they will be in separate classes (only den winners run in the regular class, everyone else races in the open class). Hopefully we can add two district championships to their resumes.
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

Congrats to both.
Seth
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
rkibby
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by rkibby »

nice cars, live the Dart. Congrats on the racing.

sent from somewhere in the cornfields of mild earth
dubldart340
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Ready for this years Pack Race - District Results Added

Post by dubldart340 »

Well, we went to Districts on Saturday for my son to represent the bear den and his pack. His twin brother also came and entered the open class. In addition, they entered the district and open classes for raingutter regatta. At the end of the day, my son's pack champ car had won the bear class and also went on to be overall District grand champion. His brother was runner-up in the open class, plus he won best paint with his blue convertible.

In the regatta, my son who was pack den champ didn't fair as well (he did win a best design award), but his brother won den and district grand champ in the open class. So, each boy came home with some wonderful memories, a stack of trophies, ribbons and certificates, and some pride in knowing they built their own stuff.

Also, the carry cases they built were so popular that I have been asked to draw up plans to be passed out at district meeting so that other packs can build them as an option to the toolbox project in the bear book.
pgosselin
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pgosselin »

Congrats to you and your two sons.

Paul
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

Looks like they could each use a third arm :mrgreen:
Seth
Napoleon Dynamite
dubldart340
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by dubldart340 »

Noskills wrote:Looks like they could each use a third arm :mrgreen:
Seth
Not only that, I had to build a new shelf for their bedroom for all that they have won in the last year! They are very proud of their accomplishments though.