New Member's projects

Show off your cool vehicle designs and track burning speedsters!
theredlineboss
Apprentice
Apprentice

New Member's projects

Post by theredlineboss »

New member here - Have been doing quite a bit of work on pinewood cars the last month or so (both making and picking up a few cool looking ones), and I thought it'd be fun to show off some of what I've been working on.

It started when I was asked to help one of my brothers with his pinewood derby car this year. I had helped last year and while doing so, had started on my own car. Did not come particularly close to finishing it, but it was fun to do while my brother was doing his part.

This year, however, I was told that they would have an adult race and I'd be welcome to make a car. It sounded like fun, so I continued working on my unfinished car from last year and...I just kept going. :lol: I even dug out an unfinished one that I had worked on in the late 90's. Now, I'm not an expert by any means (never did much woodworking before this), but I figured some of you may like seeing what has come together:

I don't expect any of them to be fast, but I think they'll look pretty cool. 8)

-Rob
Last edited by theredlineboss on Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: New Member's projects

Post by whodathunkit »

:welcome: theredlineboss,

Rob, I like the cars..each and every one of them because of the designs.
That's the cool part of building pinewood derby cars.
Because every builder has there own unique styles for what they want the car project to look like in the end.
That's what I like most about this event is seeing the many different styles in artistry.
If your haveing fun with shapes and designs well thats part of the process to finding a cool design
that can be both cool and fast at the same time.

You'll find lots of good builders here on DT.. shareing tips, and car photos.
And you might even find threw the display of artistry a few designs that will have you saying
WOW! I've got to try and build one of these cars or trucks.

Mark
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
pgosselin
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pgosselin »

Depending on weight placement, alignment, and wheel and axle prep, those orange and red ones may be faster than you think. All of them look great. Nice job on your finishes.

Paul
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Nice looking cars.

Sporty
theredlineboss
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by theredlineboss »

Thanks for the kind words - I've had a lot of fun working with these things. As I'm going along, I'm trying different shapes; I'm particularly like the way the yellow one is coming along and how my next project is developing:

The paint in particular has made the cars really pop - aside from the white gremlin, all the cars are using Metalcast spray paints. The idea was to give them (to a certain extent) the paint finish of old Hot Wheels cars.

Now, I do suspect that the orange car may wind up being the fastest of the bunch and could probably perform rather well if I give it a bit more attention. I just may do that, if I can stop the wood working. :lol:

-Rob
Last edited by theredlineboss on Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Beautiful cars. The wheels on your green car look like the ones from the 1980's. Am I correct?
theredlineboss
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by theredlineboss »

Speedster wrote:Beautiful cars. The wheels on your green car look like the ones from the 1980's. Am I correct?
Actually, I wasn't sure where to find the BSA wheels from the 80's (aside from pilfering them from old cars), so I picked up a few sets of Pine-Pro wheels. They are very similar to the old wheels, which is the look that I was wanting for them. The yellow, blue, green, and red cars all have those wheels @ the moment.

-Rob
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

theredlineboss wrote: Image
The idea was to give them (to a certain extent) the paint finish of old Hot Wheels cars.-Rob
This one has the Hot Wheels look of the Golden Submarine.

I've been wanting to try and make the Hot Wheels version of this car also.
Thanks for close up Rob.. I was hopeing you would share this car.

Mark
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
theredlineboss
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by theredlineboss »

whodathunkit wrote: Thanks for close up Rob.. I was hopeing you would share this car.
Mark
Not a problem! I'd be happy to post close ups of any of the others; just didn't want to spam the forum with multiple pix on my first post. :D

And speaking of a close up...making some progress on my latest creation.

-Rob
Shawn Stebleton
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Shawn Stebleton »

Those are really sweet looking!

By the way, spam is unwanted. These pics are wanted! As in "I want to see more!" :bigups:
Shawn
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

Rob,
Very cool builds. Love the look on that purple one. Great paint finish too!
Seth
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
theredlineboss
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by theredlineboss »

Thanks everyone! I'm trying to knock out a few more projects before my brother's derby (this Saturday!). Perhaps some of these designs will give someone an idea for even cooler designs in the future. Honestly, winning races is great, but I personally have more fun seeing a cool design take shape. :mrgreen: At any rate, here's a small update of what I've been working on:

Starting with a simple one - I added a windshield frame to the green car seen earlier in this thread. While I never was in scouts, I had carved a car in the 90's, but never finished it...Until now.

The purple car is basically done, with pinecar mags & paint a simple "grille" added to the front.

This one is based on Hot Wheels toy train - I had fun making the engine for it.

I wanted a reason to replicate a design I had run across & the Firebird "Screamin' Chicken" decals was the perfect excuse to build this one:

This one is actually an old car that looked to have been done in the 80's. Basically, I redid the vehicle, moving the cockpit back, curving the front & rear of the vehicle, amongst other changes.

I wanted to assemble an old-style kit, and wound up with a lot of three vintage kits, where one had about 2 inches carved years ago. I like the end result.

And the last one - I wanted a version of the Hot Wheels Vette Van; here's how it's looking so far.

-Rob
theredlineboss
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by theredlineboss »

Well, last Saturday was the derby and we had a blast! I brought in a light box to take pictures of the kids cars & I let them send my creations down the track after the actual derby. Some of the cars now have "Authentic Battle Damage!", but it's all in good fun. :D

Oh, and my brother got first place :mrgreen: Now, the pack is pretty small (like 6 kids), but it's still an accomplishment - last year's car was second to last place. :oops:

-Rob