Wrecked PWD cars

Show off your cool vehicle designs and track burning speedsters!
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Wrecked PWD cars

Post by Speedster »

Too much toe-in, Perhaps ?Image
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Wrecked PWD cars

Post by Noskills »

Looks like that track needs a new stop section. :eek:

Fun Bill!

Seth
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Speedsteer, cool looking effect there.
You were on fire.. but it wasen't from to much toe.
I think you mistaked the black powder for graphite.. ;)

Don't forget about this wrecked one also!
http://www.derbytalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5870" target="_blank

Whoda.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
TXDerbyDad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TXDerbyDad »

This one was dropped by a careless Boy Scout at the district race earlier this year.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

TXDerbyDad, was that car able to be fixed enough to be able to race? If so, how? I'm sorry to hear that someone other then the owner of the car was allowed to touch the car. It amazes me that leaders don't understand that tragedies like this can occur.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

At all the races I've been in (well, all two), the cars were staged by an adult volunteer. I did wonder, though, just what happens if somebody drops a car. There are some precautions that can be taken to minimize this risk (though there's always some).
Speedster wrote:TXDerbyDad, was that car able to be fixed enough to be able to race? If so, how? I'm sorry to hear that someone other then the owner of the car was allowed to touch the car. It amazes me that leaders don't understand that tragedies like this can occur.
TXDerbyDad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TXDerbyDad »

Speedster wrote:TXDerbyDad, was that car able to be fixed enough to be able to race? If so, how? I'm sorry to hear that someone other then the owner of the car was allowed to touch the car. It amazes me that leaders don't understand that tragedies like this can occur.
Thankfully, due to the way the car broke and the multiple mating surfaces that allowed for it to go back together cleanly, the owner's father was able to glue it back and it was able to finish the heats. He stopped giving me [junk] about having my toolbox with me when he needed the CA glue I had in it. :mrgreen: It took 2nd overall in the Wolves, and was actually faster after being glued back together. :o

The Boy Scout who dropped the car was using one of the Best Track car transports to ferry the cars from the end of the track back to the start, and swung it without thinking, causing that car to fly off. The cars were actually being staged by adults. Needless to say, he was very penitent and was much more careful with the cars after the fact, and thankfully it did not hurt the performance of the car. We have boys from our Troop run the Cub race, and we make sure to remind them to be careful and not stupid. We had most of the Troop there last year, but decided that this year we're only going to need 3 boys max, and one will be mine since he has no choice but to be at the race anyway. :)
TXDerbyDad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TXDerbyDad »

Vitamin K wrote:At all the races I've been in (well, all two), the cars were staged by an adult volunteer. I did wonder, though, just what happens if somebody drops a car. There are some precautions that can be taken to minimize this risk (though there's always some).
Our Pack rules state the Scout has 5 minutes to fix the car if it jumps the track or collides with another car, at which point the next heat is run and it forfeits. The District rules are the same. However, if it's one of the volunteers who causes the damage, I'll bend the rules within a reasonable amount of time, but no more than 10 minutes to keep the races moving. Until I took over the races this year, our biggest issue was consistency in enforcing that rule and making sure everyone was aware of it.