Team Noskills 2014 Line-up Results!

Show off your cool vehicle designs and track burning speedsters!
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Team Noskills 2014 Line-up Results!

Post by Noskills »

Hello all, Happy New Year. We put our holiday time to good use and finished the cars with 2 weeks to spare.
Here is the line up:
My sons car is based on the Minecraft diamond sword. 3 wheel RR. Extended front end, COM of 5/8th, drift of 3 in over 4 ft, 22 1/4 tun. cubes:

My daughter loves tigers (she is not a tiger scout ;) )
3 wheel RR, COM 5/8th, extended front end, drift of 3 in over 4 ft 23 tun cubes

Mine has balsa fenders. Extended front end, 3 wheel RR. COM 6/8th, 3 in drift over 4 ft 20 tun. cubes (Thanks for Speedster for the pin striping)

Overall we improved our builds over last year
Lets hope they are fast. The kids did more work and we saved a little time by reusing wheels and axels. The auto paint and clear coat was pricey but worth it.

Noskills
Last edited by Noskills on Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Team Noskills 2014 Line-up

Post by Speedster »

That is a beautiful display. Will you have the opportunity to race the cars against each other?
Scrollsawer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scrollsawer »

Seth,

Really looking good! I would agree that you can see the evolution of the skill between this year and last year, but last years cars looked great too.

The Diamond sword car is looking sharp! (pun intended)

Love the Tiger print car.

Really interested to hear how your balsa fender car does.

What's the story on the axles, wheels, and drilling on each car?

Great work!

Scrollsawer
"Laugh a while you can Monkey Boy."
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

Speedster, same race but different divisions. Doubt they will all get on the track at the same time but I can post the results of our race here.
Scrollsawer, these are stock wheels and axels. My axel prep is to de-burr then sand up to 2500. We then polish. Then I dip the axels in a little turtle wax, polish and drop them into a ziplock with graphite until wheel placement. The wheels get polished with a pipecleaner and bore polish. I did not like the q-tip stem method. This year I added two coats of red rocket wax. Then burnish with graphite (MaxV) which I also lube with. .
Rear axels drilled with the Silver Bullet, canted. Fronts are both straight. I get my toe in and positive camber on the DFW with a bent axel only. Also as our pack scale has only one decimal point the cars are all 5.07 oz which rounds to 5.0. Will need to cut off some tungsten putty for districts though.
My pack is not ultra competitive so we may sweep the scout, adult and siblisg races but I hope we can do well at districts.
Will keep you posted.
Now thinking about mid American and if I want to make an extended wheelbase car :D
Noskills
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
TXDerbyDad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TXDerbyDad »

Nice work Team Noskills! I'll be showing my boys the Minecraft car. It's a pretty important thing at our house, and I know there's been some talk about making a Creeper car.
Scrollsawer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scrollsawer »

TXDerbyDad,

We did a Creeper car last year, and had a lot of fun making it. It won 1st Place overall.

Search the site for 'Creeper' for pics.

Good luck with your kids' build, and post the pics., so we can see the masterpiece, once finished. :D

Scrollsawer
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

That was an awesome creeper car too! :bigups:

This is how we ended up with the diamond sword from Minecraft. Last year my son's car was called the Zombie car. He had a decal from the game Plants vs Zombies which is now old hat. So for an updates Zombie car we thought of the Minecraft zombie. Well the Minecraft zombie stickers are lame so we looked into other stickers. Found a bunch of really cool creeper stickers and vinyl decals yet all were too big for a car (I put one on my office window and another on my cell phone-folks at work think I am weird but thats off topic :paperbag: ).

The one decal we found that perfectly fit a PWD car was the sword. So we choose a car shape and color around the decal. I could have printed a sticker up with almost anything from the internet but the vinyl decal was so much nicer.

Noskills
Napoleon Dynamite
Scrollsawer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scrollsawer »

What I like about the Diamond sword is that it's subtle to all but the Minecraft fans, who of course, are going to rave about it at the race. :w00t:

And as for workplace decorations, I have an unopened Ultraman action figure from an employee who brought it back from Japan. I have no problem with displaying it alongside my Star Wars Lego figures in the office. :dance:

Scrollsawer
birddog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by birddog »

Nice fleet, Seth!

We haven't started our cars yet, but I hope to get going this weekend.

Birddog
resullivan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by resullivan »

Did you shave the underside of the fenders so they don't make contact with the guide rail?
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

Did you shave the underside of the fenders so they don't make contact with the guide rail?
Robert, yes I do. First time though. Made a fender car last year and didn't do it and I think someone on DT here clued me in. Also one of the venders sells plastic fenders that have this and I was able to get an idea of how best to do it.
I considered a photo of this but it did not come out well.
Thanks for asking!
Noskills
Napoleon Dynamite
resullivan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by resullivan »

Sounds good :bigups: My first set of fenders ended up being to wide largely impart to the fact that I was sanding them by hand. Got a brand new skil bench sander for christmas this year :D
Topspin.D
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Topspin.D »

Noskills are your fenders pre-made (vendor purchased) or home made?

Either way they look great. I think you could've been slightly less conservative on the gap between the fenders and the wheels though.
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

Hi Topspin,
The fenders are all home-made. I agree they should be closer to the wheel but I was too afraid of the inadvertent contact. Perhaps with a few more builds I will be comfortable enough to close the gap. Also I used CA glue which sets really fast. Maybe I could be more precise with an expoxy.
Thanks,
Hope to run into you this year.
Seth
Napoleon Dynamite
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

They look very nice !

Sporty