Orange/Blue Racer

Show off your cool vehicle designs and track burning speedsters!
DuckBoy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Orange/Blue Racer

Post by DuckBoy »

Not a good picture. Will try to get some better pics along with two other cars I made. This car isn't finished. I built it mainly to see how well I could take something from Paper to PineWood....
Jewel
Pine Head
Pine Head

Re: Orange/Blue Racer

Post by Jewel »

That's wicked color scheme. Why did you put the front wheels so far back? My cars are usually ugly, just simple rail type design. Did you use pine or balsa for the side body panels or something else?
It's great when it goes straight.
SPEEDBUGGY
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by SPEEDBUGGY »

I LOVE THE LOW PROFILE. AS FOR RACING IT THE FRONT MAY DRAG ON THE TRACK AT THE TRANSITION.THE ONLY THING I SEE IT WOULD NEED IS A STRIPE OF BLUE ON THE BOTTOM.IT WILL MAKE IT LOOK EVEN LOWER. 8)
DuckBoy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by DuckBoy »

Thanks for the compliments!
That's wicked color scheme. Why did you put the front wheels so far back? My cars are usually ugly, just simple rail type design. Did you use pine or balsa for the side body panels or something else?
The wheels should be proper spacing that comes in the BSA kits. I think the width of the body + the low height make the front look longer than it is.

This car is really just a wedge with side panels - so dress up the rails and wedges, they can look cool!

The sides are pine. I took a piece of pine about 8" long, 1 1/2" high and about 3/4" thick. Used a 1 1/16" spade bit to drill through the piece to make the wheel openings. I centered the holes height wise to leave material above and below the openings. Run the block through the table saw and now I have two side pieces. I mark the pattern I want on each side and cut them out. I don't cut the bottom off the side panel pieces until later, this way the whole side stays intact. When the side are on and the car almost completed, another trip to the table saw to trim the bottom off the side panels. I'm going to be building two more cars similar to this, one with BSA wheel base and one extended wheel base for WIRL competition? I'll do some photos of the side pieces as I make them. That will explain better how I make them if anyone is interested...
I LOVE THE LOW PROFILE. AS FOR RACING IT THE FRONT MAY DRAG ON THE TRACK AT THE TRANSITION.THE ONLY THING I SEE IT WOULD NEED IS A STRIPE OF BLUE ON THE BOTTOM.IT WILL MAKE IT LOOK EVEN LOWER
I'm a little worried about the front dragging. After I had the car built, I started reading about that happening to other people. As for paint, I need really need to do something else to it as it's pretty plain. I wanted to try some tiger stripes, something like Terry Labonte's #5 Kellogg's car for those familiar with NASCAR.
SPEEDBUGGY
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by SPEEDBUGGY »

YOU COULD JUST PUT IT ON A BELT SANDER. DRAWALINE FROM THE BOTTOM POINT OF THE WHEELWELL TO THE TIP OF THE FRONT. IT WOULD STILL LOOK COOL AND HAVE MORE CLEARANCE. A LITTLE TOUCH UP PAINT AND YOU WILL BE GOOD TO GO.SOME TIMES THE COOLEST DESIGNES HAVE TO CONFORM TO REAL RACE WORLD SITUATIONS. :roll: