Mid America / Council

Show off your cool vehicle designs and track burning speedsters!
resullivan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Mid America / Council

Post by resullivan »

Well, we were planning on making two cars; one for Mid America and one for council. The council car has to be a graphite, four on the floor, no wheel modifications (except removing the step) car. The Mid America will be the open scout oil division. Council is Saturday, so a few days ago I had the car all cut out. I made the decision to not cover the car with birchwood like we normally do and we just covered it with monokote. Last night we were making fenders and put some mock wheels on the car and I realized the body was warped. I didn't think we would have time to rebuild, so we are going to run the car for council, clean the graphite off and change the wheels and axles then ship to MA.

Right now all we have left is to add weight, bend the axles/tune the car, and attach the fenders.

birddog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Mid America / Council

Post by birddog »

That sounds like a good plan. Just be sure to clean all remnants of the graphite off the car. Oil and graphite do not go well together.

Love the graphic for the car and the matching colored wheels!

Good luck at Council and MA!

birddog
resullivan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by resullivan »

What is funny about that is I went and got the wheels without my son. We have always used black, so I felt like getting something different. I just randomly decided on orange. Last night I told my son that he needed to come up with a name. He couldn't think of anything, so I told him he had to come up with how he wanted his car to look. He said he didn't want to paint the car because he it wanted it to be faster. I said that it wouldn't be an issue and we could put anything. I told him we could even put a picture of his mommy and put "I love my mommy." Neither him nor my wife liked that idea. He said he liked pokemon, so I asked him what his favorite pokemon was. He told me this one and it just so happened to match the wheels.
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

Good call on not going with the "I love my mommy car"!

I like the black and orange. Seems like all kids love the same stuff. I have to post pics of our council ride.

Noskills
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
resullivan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by resullivan »

Here is an update. First, pictures of the finished car:

This was the best council we have attended. They actually enforced the rules and a few people had to change their wheels. Our wheels were just barely legal. They actually made you take off a wheel at the end so they could inspect the axle and weight the wheel. That part was a little nerve racking even though I knew we were legal because everyone is watching the overall winner get inspected and hoping they don't pass. The go-no go weight was 2.4g. The first time they put our wheel up there it was 2.3g. They cleared the scale and weighed again and it was 2.4g. A few people were mumbling about the cant, but they said it was fine. They only cared that all 4 wheels touched. The more times we race the more nervous I am with an untested car. I believe second place was around 3.08 and we were at 3.05 with the fastest run of the day at 3.04.

Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Congratulations to your Team. That is a beautiful trophy.
birddog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by birddog »

Congrats on the win! That is one massive trophy!

So did they pull wheels off all the cars that were trophy eligible to make sure they were legal wheels and axles? I wouldn't want to be the inspector that has to disqualify a scout AFTER he has already won and thinks he has a trophy coming! Although I do understand that it can be difficult to find illegal wheels without actually weighing them. This is the first time I've heard of a "post race" inspection being done at a race.

birddog
resullivan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by resullivan »

Yes, for each rank they pulled the 2nd and 3rd place cars. The 1st place cars raced in the championship race. I did not notice them pull any other cars wheels other than my son's in the final race since we came in first.
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

Congrats. Awesome car and great trophy. I sweat when I inspect my own son's car. Something about it. I am going to be the lead inspector at this years districts. Just go the Go No-Go from MaxV after reading birddog's posts. We are not pulling wheels but I will be measuring.

Awesome job!

Noskills
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Awesome. Very nice.
LightninBoy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by LightninBoy »