*Fenders* Nellie Faye

Show off your cool vehicle designs and track burning speedsters!
Laserman
Merchant
Merchant

Re: *Fenders* Nellie Faye

Post by Laserman »

Umm. So it's decaf?
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

ngyoung wrote:brewed using an Aeropress
That looks like an interesting variation on the classic coffee press. I've been using a coffee press at home since the first time I had GOOD camp coffee. One of the dads brought a coffee press on a camping trip, and I was hooked. Before that, I thought camp coffee was by definition BAD coffee.

I use a stainless steel camping press though, rather than a traditional glass press.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Back on track here folks ! I hope..

here is picture of the 1/4 and 1/8th balsa, came in the mail yesterday.

current fender car.
Stock wheel base, using axle slots in the wood.

gonna paint it white. and add these decals.

If these dcals don't look good, I will do the same ones on different decal clear paper, coming in the mail.

I still have 1 or 2 of these cars left to do, before I do some different fender cars. Why I bought the balsa.

Sporty
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Sporty,

The name balsa comes from the spanish word for ''raft"
And the scientific names are ochroma lagopus or ochroma pyramidale.
Not that it matters you just don't here the balsa wood called by these names.

Cant waite to see your next car in the line up.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

whodathunkit wrote:Sporty,

The name balsa comes from the spanish word for ''raft"
And the scientific names are ochroma lagopus or ochroma pyramidale.
Not that it matters you just don't here the balsa wood called by these names.
Thanks for the information. Nice little tid bit.

Cant waite to see your next car in the line up.
Laserman
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Laserman »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57I4MTu ... i9099h9jSz

Straight back to business eh Sporty?

You are a machine fella!
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Laserman wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57I4MTu ... i9099h9jSz

Straight back to business eh Sporty?

You are a machine fella!

Ahh, thanks.
Use to do 25 a month easy there for awhile. So just a couple a week right now. Its fun. Had not really built in over a year. And only a few prior to that in 2013.

Its fun.when I'm not worried about trying to go fast. Lol
these may never even see a track.
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

these may never even see a track.
Sporty, fine a place to race those bad boys...would love to see them in action. Great walking dead decals.
Noskills
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
ngyoung
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ngyoung »

What do you do with all your cars after you finish building them?
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

When I help with the workshops and help with the race or races, Because I may be helping with either 1 to 3 packs. I don't know for sure yet. Most of the races our in Jan in this area. But three packs have shown interest and want my help.

So if that works out. I may be able to run them and so forth.

ngyoung,

Now to answer your question.

Well when the kids were in scouts, we would just built 10 or sometimes 20 each year, after about the 3rd year of scouting. two kids 5 years of age apart.

What we did was back then allot were made out of lead and only just some tungsten. So, Mostly tore apart the cars with the tungsten, would break taking it out. And the lead ones, just tossed.

before we fully knew and learned about. back then We knew so little, compared to now.

Then When there was a issue in 2009, from posting and sharing, I got called out, that my info on here was junk and didn't work. And So I decided to find out. So entered into the 2010 pwdr racing league, team sporty. We won the championship in two divisions and back then set a few track records, which have all gone by the way side. because racing at that level, rules are always changing, and improvements in wax and oil, ect. got cars faster all the time.

Pure stock and limited division was the two that we won the championship in. you race each month for the season, collection points. the winner is determined by the most point thru the season at the end.

So, during just 2010 alone, we were building tons of cars each month. I was putting in atleast 4 to 6 hours everyday, 7 days a week.

At one time, I had enough tungsten to do 14 cars, 4oz of weight each. I had allot. But the slow ones would be torn down and junked and the tungsten re used for the new ones made.

Now many of my kids pack / council winner cars and saved and kept for memories. Some were donated or given to people to use as a comparison to there's or help them build a better car.

So, keep the super fast ones, junk the slow ones. keep the tungsten to rebuild. Then when I more or less said Im done. I sold my track and timer and sold about 2 pounds of tungsten used to people. and many other tools, ect.

Figured I was done, tell I got asked to do the mid America three years ago, So built some for that the past two years and did not do it this year.

Now just build for fun. No interest to race anymore. I had not planned on building again, but Joes weights actually inspired me to build some cars.

Thru all these years, I think 13 years now. Ive learned a great deal, spend a huge amount of time, testing and tinkering and building. And still would say Im only a top 20 racers compared to the very best.

Which in part, is due to not having the same track, mine was wooden. much of my pro racing, my cars were tuned on my kitchen floor with best guess of drift. I also hate the oil and wax, racing. I like graphite racing.

I figure its hard enough to figure out how to build a fast car with just graphite. let alone the additional time and effort for super speed with wax and oil. it has came along way since late 2009, early/ mid 2010. where then it was try just about anything to see if it worked.

From a cub scout perspective, I feel I know enough that I can come here still and share and help kids and there parents build what they want and guide them. it's easy to forget, when you build allot of cars, race, ect. and the kids are now out of scouts, its easy to loose sight. Its the kids cars and race ! And my kids always did as much work on the cars as they possible could. I use to share videos of them doing the work, and ect. Buried on here somewhere.

Sorry for the long reply.

Sporty
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Back on track after writing a book.

So, the Zombie car.

I wrecked a ton of my decals, So I said, it is what it is.

I used run on decal paper, off ebay. I had forgotten how to use it and wrecked 1/2 my decals, before I remembered. I had only used it 1 time before, for my guitar.

I usually used a different kind, which I have ordered, but not wanting to wait for the other kind. I gave it a shot.

I'm not 100% happy with it, But I can live with it. because I can always build more

So here it is, I still need to add weight, wheel weight and tungsten. il wait a few days, for the clear coat to cure.

My decals for the side, which I ruined. I had to use others, that were bigger and not intended for the sides. so not as I wanted.

I had two for the top, but wrecked one, and had 1 left, which was better then none.

Sporty
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Here is some picture updates.

I have to order more wheels, some weight and buy some more super glue. I also have other supplies coming..

I cut out a a set of fenders, with the balsa today. My step son wanted a Puma Car also.

Puma 2, does not have a hollowed body, solid. He just wants one for looks for his shelf. Also no canting, just axle slots, strait.

I still need a few more coats of clear on it.

I did some more work on the following cars. Not done yet, but getting close.

Hard to tell, but this car, has some really nice shine with the clear coat.

Stay tuned, More Nellie faye style cars still coming and cars with different fenders (wont be Nellie faye style. im in the mood to build.

comparison,

Puma 1,

Puma2 (no wheel weights)

Ya think pretty close ?

Sporty
Laserman
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Laserman »

Hi Sporty,

I am so glad that you are building cars again!

These look awesome!

The left side of the zombie car especially caught my attention.

I liked the abstract nature of the image. Beautiful in it's own right, without a subject matter being obvious.

When my wood gets here you are on-deck too.

Congrats!
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

I'm going to do another zombie car, black and green decals. Not sure about images on it tho, maybe.

I have two more after that, but have not thought about themes, ect for them tho.

Then I have 3 different fender cars in mind.. Not sure how they will go either.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Here is Puma 2, step sons, display car.

added the wheels and another coat of clear for him.

Again, these are fenders I made, from 1/4 balsa and 1/8th balsa.

I did notice I got the puma sticker on crooked on one side. but he didn't care.

Also,

I played with some wheels, for one of my next builds.

My next car is going to be black and the green, neon green decals Im going to make, if all goes well. otherwise. If it don't work out, Ill use them on the green monster car or something.

No so sure about the axle head's being green. but I used them, to cover up the hub. not to get paint on them, I don't like decals, tried them before, they either don't stick well and stay stuck, or due to the plastic sprockets, just does not look right adding decals there.

A few imprefections, that I can fix later, when the paint has cured for a few days. scrape it off or something.