*Fenders* Nellie Faye

Show off your cool vehicle designs and track burning speedsters!
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

*Fenders* Nellie Faye

Post by sporty »

I seen a good buy over at derby evolution for the Nellie faye fenders.

So I bought 1 set of balsa and 1 of bass wood.

Im getting ready to build another Nellie faye style car or two.

I had mentioned the last time I posted / started a topic of my Nellie faye clones. I made my fenders then out of balsa, one pieces that I cut myself and 1 set out of pine. which is heavy.

So here they are the fender kits and a bit of info.

Came in a nice protected box.

balsa fenders below-

The basswood fenders below. ou can tell by the grain and color of the wood, the difference.

1 fender basswood , 1/2 a side, just the wood only, weight

both basswood fenders. total weight, not glued or anything, raw weight.

Now for the balsa, 1/2 a fender (1 side of the car fender).

both balsa fenders weight

I still had a spare set that I cut. out of a balsa wood I had here. So I am able to share that picture and weight info too,

1 fender or aka 1/2 a fender, I cut. I think the balsa I used was lighter and not as good at the previous above mentioned balsa.

both homemade balsa fenders together, weight.

my cuts were not as good, and this was not one of the better fender sets I made, so they were my spare set. never got used.

again here 1 one of mine I made. thickness view.

Here is a wide, thickness of the balsa fender kit and basswood fender kit and the one I made.

You can tell the one I made was not as wide. I had a nightmare of a time with mine, fuzz issue. I can tell right now, that the balsa kit ones, I am not going to have that issue.

Here is the older two cars I did the other year. just to show you for those who see this and have no idea what Nellie faye fenders or design is.

That's all for now..

ill be starting to build my 3rd one soon and will do pictures and info as usual for you all.

if the sale is still going on, $2.95 for a Nellie faye fender kit, not including shipping is a good deal in my view. For those who might want to build one !

Sporty
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: *Fenders* Nellie Faye

Post by sporty »

IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT

Assembly of the fenders----

They recommend wood glue.

The balsa fenders.

since they are in sections and you glue them together.

I highly recommend clamping them.

I seen right away some of the pieces were not sticking together, bot due to the kit of the fenders. but just typically what you see sometimes when glueing wood together.

I highly feel you are going to need to clamp the wood together. Keep in mind 1 piece the inside fender is shorter then the rest.

You have to keep this in mind ! so you don't glue 1 fender wrong !

CLAMP, CLAMP CLAMP.!!!!

Two clamps were not enough, I had to use 4 and feel I needed two smaller clamps yet. so I recommend 6 clamps for a good bond of the wood.

The 1 shorter piece, does make it harder if you were just wanting to sandwich it wih a book or something.

here is some pictures.

I was right, I didn't use enough clamps and found some gaps that I had to get some glue into and clamp.

And bingo- hay cloths pins just happen to work for several of the places I needed to clamp !!

so here is a few more pictures with the cloths pins. This should really help you out !

Cloths pins are cheap and sold about everywhere !!

you can modify cloths pins to work for the wider, thicker pieces of wood on the fender kit.

a little trick to keep in mind for easy clamps to make for the fender kit or ect, esp, if you might be doing a workshop and have many kits to do.

here's 1 of the fenders glued together.

sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Some might ask, how the shorter smaller fender piece goes.

here is a example picture of that.

Also ignore the lines of the wood body blank. I just was using this spare body blank, to provide a example of assembly to the body.

I have not glued it onto the body yet. theres more to do. shaping and rounding the fenders yet. But I did feel it was a good time to show this example. Because after someone glues the fender pieces together, I would think during this or as soon as they get the fender slices out of the package they would be asking.

whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Sporty,

Like the home made Nellie Faye style fenders you make..
The ones I also make from scratch woods turn out heavy as well.

From the photos:
I see you are useing the 4 piece fender kit. (glue and clamps)
I like you're clothspin clamp idea Sporty!
Sometimes there is just not enough small wood clamps in the shop..
Or they are just to big of a clamp for small projects like this.

I have to ask you..
Does gluing and clamping wood together stress you out
(when it slips around while trying to clamp it together.)

Try this tip:
Use a threaded end of small bolt or a piece of all-thread rod to spread the glue on the work piece.
(like as if were a notched trowel)
Next: take too pieces of 60 grit sand paper and rub the grit sides together over the top of the glued work piece.
This should help keep the work pieces from sliping around in the glue while clamping.

It was the only thing I could see going on in the photos you posted to help you out with.
Keep it Stress Free Sporty! ;)

Whoda.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

whodathunkit wrote:Sporty,

Like the home made Nellie Faye style fenders you make..
The ones I also make from scratch woods turn out heavy as well.

From the photos:
I see you are useing the 4 piece fender kit. (glue and clamps)
I like you're clothspin clamp idea Sporty!
Sometimes there is just not enough small wood clamps in the shop..
Or they are just to big of a clamp for small projects like this.

I have to ask you..
Does gluing and clamping wood together stress you out
(when it slips around while trying to clamp it together.)

Try this tip:
Use a threaded end of small bolt or a piece of all-thread rod to spread the glue on the work piece.
(like as if were a notched trowel)
Next: take too pieces of 60 grit sand paper and rub the grit sides together over the top of the glued work piece.
This should help keep the work pieces from sliping around in the glue while clamping.

It was the only thing I could see going on in the photos you posted to help you out with.
Keep it Stress Free Sporty! ;)

Whoda.

Some of the pictures and so forth, were before I went and got the cloths pine, certainly they cloths pins made a difference, with slipping.

the balsa ones I did laster yesterday, came out much better. I used almost all cloths pins.

I got the glue on good, what Happened was the way I was clamping it. did not get even, so on one side there was no pressure or connection.

I also did all 4 pieces at one time. this I think is not ideal. with the basswood ones, I did two pieces at a time and then after two sections were done. I then glued them together (4 pieces) to 1 piece. worked much better.

Since I have not seen a great deal of good info on how to put them together and so forth. I had hoped this topic and postings will provide good info for cub scouts, who may want to build one.

As the project goes along, more pictures will be added with information.

I realized way back in the day. it was the most common question asked, how to do it !

Sporty
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

MORE INFORMATION, MORE TIPS.

IM TRYING TO DO THIS IN SEQUENCE THE BEST THAT I CAN.

it's hard to think of every step I take as I go along.

It's a guide to help you build one if you choose. there out always different way and thoughts on how to do it. my way is just one way of doing it.

Once you have the fenders glued together, if you are like me, they need some evening out done.

Now you can wait and do this until they are glued onto the body of the car. I actually do it both ways.

What I mean, is that I first find it easier for me to do the initial leveling of the fenders without them on the body. I do the shaping with it on the body, the glue helps hold the fender and keep from breaking as easy and it helps me try to do both more equally looking the same.

Here our some pictures. It was hard to try and hold the camera and take pictures. So in a few spots, I would typically use two hands.

The basswood is stiffer and a little stronger, the blasa, cuts fast and is easy to break, gentle and light touch and patience is needed. its easy to take off to much, really fast with the balsa fenders. The basswood fenders are more forgiving.

Ill try and walk you thru it, with the pictures .

Belt sander with light grit belt on it. 120 grit.

I usually use two hands for this one, one holding the front piece. but it was holding the camera.

I hold this one a bit different, also, more on the front side. but could not get a picture to show you.

That's about the best I could do , with taking pictures. to show the angles I try to use in getting the surface even, and not breaking or cracking the fenders.

I don't do anymore shaping until they are mounted on the body.

Below, not perfect, but the final sanding and shaping will be once mounted..

See below-

When I tried to sand the inside wheel area, without it being mounted. I broke a few.

I don't recommend it.

Now, if you don't have a slotted piece of wood, or don't know what your rules are.

but I have to find and space out and get right the axle whole location for the fenders.

Now if you have to, you can kind of do this or use it as a reference. I love the pro body jig.

Stay tuned.

Sporty
ngyoung
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ngyoung »

Instead of using a half dozen clamps maybe try using two pieces if wood to sandwich the pieces you're gluing like a vice and you can clamp down more without denting the fenders.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

ngyoung wrote:Instead of using a half dozen clamps maybe try using two pieces if wood to sandwich the pieces you're gluing like a vice and you can clamp down more without denting the fenders.
You can't. Due to the one fender piece being shorter. Won't do it level. I tried it first. So had to adjust to showing how to do it.(guide) for others. Now another piece the 1/8th thickness to fill the gap where the shorter piece of the one fender is. Would work. Maybe using some pennies would fill the gap..
Needs to have good compression between them. Something at least 2 to maybe 3 pounds.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Ngyoung,

Maybe you can posts some pictures of your builds and your kids cars ? Always also looking for someone to post builder guides and tips and how too's also. Good details and step by steps for other scouts.
I'm not the best at it. But I try.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

Why do fenders tend to come in multiple pieces? Is it just easier to manufacture them that way?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Vitamin K wrote:Why do fenders tend to come in multiple pieces? Is it just easier to manufacture them that way?
I believe that it is due to the power of the lasers being used to cut them. The more power, the thicker the material can be, but the more expensive the laser cutter is.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Another person I think sells them as one piece.

I believe the reason is for strength for this design.
The thick one pieces I made and used for the ones I already built. Break easy.
The factor I feel is strength with the multi layer.
Perhaps also if a crack or slight damage does happen. It will still function and remain together.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Don't forget about the ease of not haveing to bevel or notch the bottom side of the fenders
for track clearance (like you would have to do with home made ones).

With the fenders being made in multiple pieces and as a kit..
it now takes having to do that out of the equation with the smaller iner fender piece.

Pluse: You know how Sporty,
Said he sometimes brakes the back end of the fender off while sanding the wheel well.
I can't tell you how many times i've done the samething!
Or with the home made fenders as well after cutting a notch out and then cutting out the fender for the wheel well.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

Whoda, can you show me an example of this bevel/notch that needs to be done on the underside of the fenders? I'm planning on fendering this Derby season, and I wanna make sure I'm doing it right.
whodathunkit wrote:Don't forget about the ease of not haveing to bevel or notch the bottom side of the fenders

it now takes having to do that out of the equation with the smaller iner fender piece.

Said he sometimes brakes the back end of the fender off while sanding the wheel well.
Or with the home made fenders as well after cutting a notch out and then cutting out the fender for the wheel well.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Vitamin K wrote:Whoda, can you show me an example of this bevel/notch that needs to be done on the underside of the fenders? I'm planning on fendering this Derby season, and I wanna make sure I'm doing it right.
whodathunkit wrote:Don't forget about the ease of not haveing to bevel or notch the bottom side of the fenders

You can see my step by step on my other Nellie Faye build