2014 Hiawatha District Runner up and start of next year's ca

Show off your cool vehicle designs and track burning speedsters!
ngyoung
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

2014 Hiawatha District Runner up and start of next year's ca

Post by ngyoung »

Here is my scouts first derby car for tiger cubs. He found a hotwheels car he wanted to mimic for a profile and i helped him get a simple shape. This was before I had a good grasp of canting wheels and tungsten cubes. I did know enough to polish axles, make it a 3 wheeler, and by the time he was done building I knew how to set the steer. He helped polish the axles, sand the body, and did the paint. After going Un defeated at pack I learned how to polish the bores and we did that before districts where we placed 2nd with a 3.06 average. The winner had a more Hershey bar shape with the weight set much lower. Our district is pretty much a counsel derby since the district we're in likely has as many kids in it as all the other districts combined.

Now after I caught the bug and even built a few of my own cars for adult league racing we are now each making a new car. His for scouts and mine for my next months NPWDRL car. I routed the weight pockets ahead of time. He picked out the shape from looking at some cars on youtube. I free handed the design and let him transfer it to the blocks. After watching me shape mine on the belt sander we both did his. He held it while I guided his hands. This turned out better I thought then trying to do it with our scroll saw. We both sat and sanded ours together and I went over his a little more to get some of the bigger bumps out. I also left his a little thicker mainly for durability.

Mine will have the snake head and his he picked a Charizard painting from Google images.

Here is my first league car that I did. It ran in a no fender class called BASX.

sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: 2014 Hiawatha District Runner up and start of next year'

Post by sporty »

Awesome, looks great. Thanks for sharing.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

ngyoung,
Those are some really neat looking car designs the two of you are working on.
Keep posting photos as the cars progress & Congrats on the District Runner up.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
ngyoung
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ngyoung »

We finally got around to applying the design that we worked on. I used GIMP2.0 to put the design together and he told me what colors he wanted and approved the stuff I added like the windshield and racing stripe. I printed it out on label paper. He cut it out and applied it to his car. I trimmed it up with an exacto blade. I have a Co worker that was going to print the design on some vinyl but my son didn't want to wait. We may peel this one off and use the vinyl version if he ends up liking it more. The way the printer works may not show as much detail in the design and you can see the ink dots up close like a comic book. Mine I screwed up the paint job when I used testers enamel instead of lacquer and didn't have time to let it dry before mailing for proxy racing.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

Suh-weet, looking. I might try the printer-and-vinyl method again sometime. Takes a lot of patience with the X-acto to get the edges clean, though, doesn't it?

I used to work in a sign shop. I wish that I did Derby stuff back in the day. So many possibilities when you've got access to a vinyl plotter and printer. ;)
ngyoung wrote:We finally got around to applying the design that we worked on. I used GIMP2.0 to put the design together and he told me what colors he wanted and approved the stuff I added like the windshield and racing stripe. I printed it out on label paper. He cut it out and applied it to his car. I trimmed it up with an exacto blade. I have a Co worker that was going to print the design on some vinyl but my son didn't want to wait. We may peel this one off and use the vinyl version if he ends up liking it more. The way the printer works may not show as much detail in the design and you can see the ink dots up close like a comic book. Mine I screwed up the paint job when I used testers enamel instead of lacquer and didn't have time to let it dry before mailing for proxy racing.
*image link*
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

Looks good even for the printer paper version. We plan on doing that for some Minecraft theme this year.
Noskills
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
ngyoung
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ngyoung »

Decided to peel off the first cover and we applied the vinyl. The resolution turned out much better then expected and my son is really excited about it. He is fired up to start prepping the wheels and axles.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Great photo ! one happy kid, huge smile.

Sporty
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Neat.. Fast looking car there ngyoung!
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?