Team Vitamin K 2015 Lineup/Progress

Show off your cool vehicle designs and track burning speedsters!
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Team Vitamin K 2015 Lineup/Progress

Post by Vitamin K »

Yeah, I'm pretty fortunate that both my son (the scouting aged one) and daughter pretty much love whatever time we're able to spend in the shop working on things. My time constraints are formidable, but whenever I have free time, they're ready to go.

My two year old is pretty eager too...though he hasn't been able to contribute much more than some sanding. ;)
Scrollsawer wrote:Good to see the boys taking an active role in the builds. This year, I've really had to cajole one of my boys to get more involved. The other one is doing his part, and the daughter is being pretty flighty about the whole thing. :-/

Ya know, just when I think I'm beginning to figure this whole 'fabrication' thing out, I see folks on here building cars like yours, and I realize I gotta a lot more work to do! Your family's cars are looking great! Those fenders look amazing, and the designs are really creative. :thumbup:

Can't wait to see them finished!

Scrollsawer
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

Weigh-in is tomorrow night. We're getting down to the wire. Tonight is wheel prep and tuning.

Hopefully will have some actual car pics to post soon.
Scrollsawer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scrollsawer »

Sounds like your clan is under the gun like us right now. Fun huh?! :eek:

What are the wires in your pic. used for?

Good luck with the final stages of the build! I'm looking forward to seeing the finished products! :D

Scrollsawer
"Laugh a while you can Monkey Boy."
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

Scrollsawer wrote:Sounds like your clan is under the gun like us right now. Fun huh?! :eek:

What are the wires in your pic. used for?

Good luck with the final stages of the build! I'm looking forward to seeing the finished products! :D

Scrollsawer
Do not ask how late I was up last night finishing tuning. I will lie to you, because I am ashamed.

The wire assemblies are cantilevered bias weights, for Stan Pope's bent axle alignment method: http://stanpope.net/camalignweight.htm

Anyhow, I think we're done! Come what may, we've got four rolling cars.

From left to right are my two year old son's, my eight year old son's (the bear cub), my ten year old daughter's, and mine.

The camera pictures and LED flash makes the paint look horrible. It looks better in person. The kids all painted their own cars, then I hit them with clear coat.
ngyoung
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ngyoung »

Good job Daddio! :bigups:
As long as the kids are happy it don't matter how the paint looks. Your scouts have a few years to grow in that department.

So after all that time tuning you still want to mess with tuning bent axles? :wall: :mrgreen:
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

ngyoung wrote:Good job Daddio! :bigups:
As long as the kids are happy it don't matter how the paint looks. Your scouts have a few years to grow in that department.

So after all that time tuning you still want to mess with tuning bent axles? :wall: :mrgreen:
Haha, honestly, once I got the bias weights on, tuning the alignment was really simple.

It's just that I had four cars that needed graphite, wheel attachment, and then three of the cars (with fenders) needed additional shaving once I discovered that the cant wasn't playing nicely with clearances...

Learned a lot of lessons about fenders from these builds, let me tell you... :sigh:
LightninBoy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by LightninBoy »

Vitamin K wrote: Learned a lot of lessons about fenders from these builds, let me tell you... :sigh:
Yeah, that'll happen. Its why I try to avoid fenders on scout cars (I have caved at times).
ngyoung
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ngyoung »

I have yet to attempt them. I may pick up some bass wood soon though just to start tinkering. So far all my league cars have been BASX which are no fenders.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Team Vitamin K 2015 Lineup/Progress (Results!)

Post by Vitamin K »

Well, it's done! Finally!

Cars performed well at the Derby. My older son (the Bear scout), took first for his rank, and first in the Pack overall.

My daughter and I took second and first in the Masters' division, respectively. A little surprising to me, because I thought her car was the faster design.

My youngest (with the penny-powered car), just barely got edged out of the winner's circle by another well-made car.

Unfortunately, our timer was not correctly reporting times, so I don't have that info. Still, glad that the Derby's completed. Sure is a lot crazier when you actually are in charge of running the event, I tell you.

Now...recharge and on to Districts! (Assuming they hold them this year).
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Congrats Team Vitamin K !
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

Way to go Kurt. I was running our derby too and I missed check in. That's were I get a good look at all the cars. Really missed not having the time to look over each one. We just put our cars away to await districts too.
Noskills
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
Scrollsawer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scrollsawer »

Vitamin K wrote:
ngyoung wrote:Good job Daddio! :bigups:

Haha, honestly, once I got the bias weights on, tuning the alignment was really simple.

It's just that I had four cars that needed graphite, wheel attachment, and then three of the cars (with fenders) needed additional shaving once I discovered that the cant wasn't playing nicely with clearances...

Learned a lot of lessons about fenders from these builds, let me tell you... :sigh:
Congratulations on completing your builds (and also on the fine results!) :clap: :dance: :bigups:

Yeah, I definitely feel your pain when it comes to trying to help get 4 builds across the finish line. We (okay..I) was beginning to panic a little when I looked at the clock, and saw we had one hour left to get to 'weigh-in' and we were still gluing in the axles. :eek: and when it came time to have one of my boys put on his wheels, he was nowhere to be found. I had to send another kid on a search to send him home so he could help finish. :whew:

Scrollsawer
"Laugh a while you can Monkey Boy."