Team Vitamin K 2015 Lineup/Progress

Show off your cool vehicle designs and track burning speedsters!
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Team Vitamin K 2015 Lineup/Progress

Post by Vitamin K »

So, our Pack's Derby isn't until January, but last year we got bitten by running out of time to properly test and tune, so I wanna start early this year. Here's the line up of cars that the family is building. These are, so far, just the designs I've laid out. Colors are only speculative. Will post progress shots as building commences.

Let's begin with my oldest son, who's the only actual Cub Scout. He's a bear this year. Last race we came in second for his Den, and he wants a shot to qualify for Districts this time around.

"The Wedge"

His car is pretty much a thin wedge with some minimal fenders. It's my transliteration of the design that he drew for me.

"The Unibody"

Next up is my daughter's car. This is what I had actually proposed as a design for my son, but he decided that he didn't like it. But, my daughter did. Well, I'm glad somebody liked it. :idk: It's my attempt to do a uni-fender design that a kid could actually assemble (with help).

"The Streamline"

Next we have "Daddy's Car", which is very, very loosely based on the design of the V16 Streamline (with the back chopped). I'm using the stock wheelbase, as opposed to the "extended front end" all of the other cars are running. I think it looks more "carlike." Last time, I did a "wing" design that got a lot of nice comments, so I feel the need to outdo myself this time.

"Batmobilesque"

Well, last time around, due to time crunch, my wife didn't get a chance to do a car. So, this coming race, we want to correct that. I told her to tell me what she wanted for a design, and she said she wanted something like the Batmobile. Huhn. Well, okay. My main issue is that I think her design is looking cooler than mine, which is a no-no. She's gonna have a fine time cutting those fenders on the scrollsaw, though!

"Pending"

Not pictured is the pending design for our two year old, who wants a car too. I asked him what he wanted on it, and he said "A pumpkin." I hope that's not too strange, come January. He likes to come into the workshop though, and ask to see "his car", at which point I'll hand him an undrilled, uncut block. I think he'll enjoy seeing it take shape.

Will post more as things progress!
birddog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Team Vitamin K 2015 Lineup/Progress

Post by birddog »

Cool designs. What software package are you using to create your designs with?

birddog
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

I dont see the photos...it kills me to miss cool designs :sick: :pullhair:

I am also getting a head start on the daddy car so I can help the kids next 2 months...photos soon

Noskills
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

birddog wrote:Cool designs. What software package are you using to create your designs with?

birddog
Thanks! I use Inkscape for vector drawing. It isn't the absolute best, but it's more than sufficient for what I need, and free!
noskills wrote:I dont see the photos...it kills me to miss cool designs :sick: :pullhair:

I am also getting a head start on the daddy car so I can help the kids next 2 months...photos soon
Here's the direct links, if it helps:

http://imgur.com/Rs45TFW.png
http://imgur.com/cBmVqNj.png
http://imgur.com/oakRnzM.png
http://imgur.com/jEjruY8.png
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Kool designs Vitamin K. :thumbup:
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Very nice, can't wait to see the onstage building.

Cool, the yellow one, I seen something like this before and have it on my to build list.
So I'll be keeping a key eye on that build.

Decided yet ? Balsa or basswood or both ?
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

sporty wrote:Very nice, can't wait to see the onstage building.

Cool, the yellow one, I seen something like this before and have it on my to build list.
So I'll be keeping a key eye on that build.

Decided yet ? Balsa or basswood or both ?
We'll be using balsa. We had good luck working with it last time, and it cuts very well on my scroll saw with the fine blade. It becomes appreciably durable after a few coats of CA glue, too.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Vitamin K wrote: We'll be using balsa. We had good luck working with it last time, and it cuts very well on my scroll saw with the fine blade.
Vitamin K,
When you say fine blade... are you talking scroll saw blades like a #2 rev tooth or Jewelers blades.
or are you useing a micro lux scroll saw made for small modeling projects?
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

Actually, no. Just a standard 20 TPI blade from Home Depot has actually worked very well for cutting balsa. I use a 15 TPI blade for pine.

My scroll saw is a Harbor Freight model.
whodathunkit wrote:
Vitamin K wrote: We'll be using balsa. We had good luck working with it last time, and it cuts very well on my scroll saw with the fine blade.
Vitamin K,
When you say fine blade... are you talking scroll saw blades like a #2 rev tooth or Jewelers blades.
or are you useing a micro lux scroll saw made for small modeling projects?
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

So are you cutting it out side your lines by a 1/16" or an 1/8'' and sanding it back to the lines.

How much splintering or fuzz are you getting or seeing from the 20 TPI blades..
& are they the Roybi brand blades that most Home Depot stores stock.

I'v been using the Olson brand blades..
Univ No. 2R reverse tooth It's TPI No Rev. is 20/14.. tooth style is a skip.
The reverse style blades have skip style teeth that reverse to eliminate the underside tare out
and help provide a smooth splinter free finish.

I'v had some good luck with this style of blade as well with soft balsa.

Hope to see you post some car photos soon Vitamin K.
Last edited by whodathunkit on Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

The blades are the Ryobi brand, and they actually cut the balsa surprisingly cleanly. I'm getting as good a cut from the scrollsaw blade as I do with the razor saw that I use for straight cuts across the grain (with the grain, I use a utility knife). I haven't actually had to cut very far outside of the lines. Just right on the outside edge of the pencil mark, really.

I haven't been able to sneak enough shop time lately. Here's a shot of the pine body of Daddy's car, with one of the potential fenders with the top contour cut out.

The holes on the body are what I used to attach it to a block while cutting it on the scroll saw, to keep it vertical and perpendicular, despite being thin. The odd thick line near the front right axle hole iis where I had previously filled with a toothpick, prior to re-drilling. I hate throwing away blocks. :)

whodathunkit wrote:So are you cutting it out side your lines by a 1/16" or an 1/8'' and sanding it back to the lines.

How much splintering or fuzz are you getting or seeing from the 20 TPI blades..
& are they the Roybi brand blades that most Home Depot stores stock.

I'v been using the Olson brand blades..
Univ No. 2R reverse tooth It's TPI No Rev. is 20/14.. tooth style is a skip.
The reverse style blades have skip style teeth that reverse to eliminate the underside tare out
and help provide a smooth splinter free finish.

I'v had some good luck with style of blade as well with soft balsa.

Hope to see you post some car photos soon Vitamin K.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Ill be keeping a eye on that unibody one. I thought I seen something like that at derbworx, have you seen that ?

That's the one I wanted to do, yours looks about like that one. Close enough, Id be happy with either one.

Sporty
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

The design is probably mostly inspired by LightninBoy's "X3" car. I'll be working on it with my nine year old daughter, so I'll be sure and take plenty of progress pictures to show how it shapes up.
sporty wrote:Ill be keeping a eye on that unibody one. I thought I seen something like that at derbworx, have you seen that ?

That's the one I wanted to do, yours looks about like that one. Close enough, Id be happy with either one.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Cool.
Ya his one car is pretty sweet.

Sporty
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

Snucked into the shop tonight to cut a little balsa for the fenders for Daddy's Car. Current weight with balsa additions is at 1.44 oz. I imagine I'll get a little under that after I carve out weight pockets on the pine and wheel wells in the fenders, but I'm okay with where it's at. The car's never gonna run anything other than the Masters division at my son's Pack race.