How to do a thin car/ balsa fill

Show off your cool vehicle designs and track burning speedsters!
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: How to do a thin car/ balsa fill

Post by Vitamin K »

I might have to try this "cut out and sandwich" method for some future builds. I appreciate anything that permits giving a car some "three dimensional character" while still remaining competitively lightweight.
IPACA9
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by IPACA9 »

Sorry to be a newb here but I'm a little confused with the balsa filling and keeping the car lightweight. It seems that everyone at our pinewood derby was trying to achieve the 5oz limit with their cars. Am I missing something? Sorry. I've only done a few cars for my boys but with a 2yr old, 5yr old and 8yr old boys and always making cars for Sibling Class I'm going to be making many, many of them over the years.
ngyoung
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ngyoung »

The goal is to make the body as light as possible so that you can put as much of your weights to get to 5oz in the back where you want it. If your body is heavy on it's own then the less you will be able to add in where you want.
IPACA9 wrote:Sorry to be a newb here but I'm a little confused with the balsa filling and keeping the car lightweight. It seems that everyone at our pinewood derby was trying to achieve the 5oz limit with their cars. Am I missing something? Sorry. I've only done a few cars for my boys but with a 2yr old, 5yr old and 8yr old boys and always making cars for Sibling Class I'm going to be making many, many of them over the years.
IPACA9
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by IPACA9 »

Silly me. I should know this. Next year's cars will be some true contenders with speed. We always win the awards for judges favorite for looks but I want everyone's car chasing ours too :)
ngyoung
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ngyoung »

From the cars that you posted pics on, instead of using pine to build out the width and top profile, you can use balsa or bass wood. It will be a lot lighter. You can even build an ultra light body like the one shown but don't fill the void if you're adding a lot of extra for body profiling. You would still cover any holes on the under side with tape or other thin material.
IPACA9 wrote:Silly me. I should know this. Next year's cars will be some true contenders with speed. We always win the awards for judges favorite for looks but I want everyone's car chasing ours too :)