Team Patrick 2015 Fleet

Show off your cool vehicle designs and track burning speedsters!
dpatrick911
Apprentice
Apprentice

Team Patrick 2015 Fleet

Post by dpatrick911 »

Here is our fleet and some "construction" pictures documenting out progress.

We've made some cars thru the years, both beautiful and not so easy on the eyes. This year we built number 26 & 27. Both of these were Awana Grand Champions (Boys & Girls)

We've had lots of fun learning, and teaching thru the years.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Team Patrick 2015 Fleet

Post by Darin McGrew »

I love the ambigram, both the design of the lettering and the execution. How did you carve it into the wood?
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

Slick looking cars. Why the balsa roof on the thin car? I am guessing to act as a cover for the weights. I have used a thin balsa veneer with CA glue to keep the cars thin.
Noskills
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
dpatrick911
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by dpatrick911 »

The ambigram design was my daughter's idea. Inspired by a guitar strap I made for one of my sons. Both cars were laser cut, the ambigram was laser etched into the wood. The canopy was indeed to cover weight. I bought a tungsten disc that was a little taller than advertised. Thanks for the kind words regarding the cars. The kids did the stain and paint as I was down with the flu. I thought they did a great job. The gray/purple car ran the fastest time if the day on our 35 foot Best Tracks. 2.4557 I think was what it was. The ambigram car was racing on the older of the two tracks. They both ran consistent 2.47s all day. When we lined them up for in-house bragging rights. The ambigram car edged out the other one by about 1-2 inches. We did not have the timer set up by the time we got our turn to run them head to head. I think if we had the time to run them a few times it probably would have been a dead heat. Both cars went undefeated.