Morgan '16

Show off your cool vehicle designs and track burning speedsters!
Gtdhw
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Morgan '16

Post by Gtdhw »

Cars are done. Race is March 18th.

Tiger Car (only car "competing")
9/16" COM
11g Chassis
138g (pre tungston-putty final weight)
LFW weight - 6g
RFW weight - 6g
LRW weight - 62g
RRW weight - 64g
Straight BSA Polished Axles
BSA/USA Wheels trued to -.0005 (polished hubs & graphite rubbed outer side walls)
Straight Tune (+/- 1/2" over 4')

Pilot Build Car (Dad/Son race car)
9/16" COM
13g Chassis
138g (pre tungston-putty final weight)
DLFW weight - 12g
NDRFW weight - 4g (trying to experiment with limits of "4 flat & touching" rule)
DLRW weight - 57g
NDRW weight - 65g
1.5* Bent Front BSA Polished Axles (negative cant)
Straight Rear BSA Polished Axles
BSA/USA Wheels trued to -.0005 (polished hubs & graphite rubbed outer side walls)
Outer Left RR tuned at 3" over 4'

Boy Scout/Dad Build (sibling race car)
17/32" COM
11g Chassis
137g (pre tungston-putty final weight)
DLFW weight- 11g
NDRFW weight- 0g (disc'd)
DLRW weight - 60g
NDRRW weight - 66g
2.0* Bent Front BSA Polished Axles (negative cant)
2.0* Bent Rear BSA Polished Axles (positive cant)
Outer Left RR tuned at 4" over 4'
(Built strictly as an exercise of outer RR'ing. Could be fast, could be slow, lol)

Pre Derby Talk Dad Build (sibling race car)
3/4" COM
143g (Went crazy on clear coat & added way too much weight. Was @ 154g, then shaved all possible to get back down to a too heavy 143g)
DLFW weight - 33g
NDRFW weight - 0g (disc'd)
DLRW weight - 40g
NDRRW weight - 70g
1.5* Bent Front BSA Polished Axles
Straight Rear BSA Polished Axles
Revell BSA Wheels trued to -.0005 (polished hubs & graphite rubbed outer side walls)
Outer Left RR tuned at 3" over 4'
(This car was mainly just a first attempt at making our own fenders)
Last edited by Gtdhw on Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
I wish I was the man that my dog thinks I am.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Morgan '16

Post by sporty »

Very nice cars. Awesome.
Nelvis
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Nelvis »

I can see why they are scared of you at your crazy no-center rail, gestapo rules derby. If they give you any lip I'm pretty sure you can turn these around backwards and still win.
Loder66
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Loder66 »

With all the crazy hard core rules and no center rail, I predict that you still win 1st Place!
Good Luck!
Loder
Plano, TX
birddog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by birddog »

I'm predicting a land slide 1st place as well. Folks who put the time in to learn and build such good cars generally trounce the rest of the entrants. I wish it were more competitive, but until you race at the Mid-America race or maybe your District Race, be prepared for a land slide victory.
Gtdhw
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Gtdhw »

Thanks fellas!

These car's are worlds above what we've built in the past, and our hopes are high! I agree birddog, I wish our local pack's were a bit more competitive as well. My oldest made it through three different packs in four years, in his Cub Scouting, and we were able to go undefeated in pack racing (including a 5 way pack/county race), but he never placed better than 3rd in the Districts. That said, we were just lucky I think, as this will be the first year of doing ANYTHING to the hubs, and we never tested any wheels for roundness before. Hoping those additions (along with the new body designs and much better COM), is enough to get us over that district hump!

We are also hoping to make the pack race a bit more competitive this year, by holding a workshop two weeks prior to the race (our pack has never done this before, and I think it will be mostly me and one other Dad/Buddy). We like to win, but winning fails in comparison to seeing a Dad-less Scout's face light up, knowing that he will get to use some tools and get to build a quality car that he wants, with good guidance, instead of what Mom or Grandma is limited do at home with no tools. I still think that we have a good shot of winning, but IMO, there are some things are more important than a "W".
I wish I was the man that my dog thinks I am.