More ebay Fun

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
Jungle Jim
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: More ebay Fun

Post by Jungle Jim »

TurtlePowered wrote: Don't think Ebay will be caring if they violate the spirit of the rules for a pinewood derby. Think they have more important things to do, like people illegally selling software. Don't get me wrong, I don't approve of people buying premade cars. Think Ebay just won't care about something like this.
But wouldn't be interesting to see how they handled it if they were informed from the National Office that these cars violated race rules?
Jungle Jim
TurtlePowered
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TurtlePowered »

Jungle Jim wrote:
TurtlePowered wrote: Don't think Ebay will be caring if they violate the spirit of the rules for a pinewood derby. Think they have more important things to do, like people illegally selling software. Don't get me wrong, I don't approve of people buying premade cars. Think Ebay just won't care about something like this.
But wouldn't be interesting to see how they handled it if they were informed from the National Office that these cars violated race rules?
Don't think they would care in the least. Also think that would open up a can of worms with vendors selling supplies, finished wheels and axels.
They are much more interested in US law than Pinewood Derby rules. Don't forget the sellers are making Ebay money.
MaxV
Merchant
Merchant

Post by MaxV »

Sellers of finished cars could get around any restrictions by just changing their advertisting to something like:

"Add this former championship car, which won 7 trophies, to your collection."
Tomcat14
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Tomcat14 »

You're right, it's all in the wording. I just hope that there aren't too many people buying these things. If they are, then they're just cheating themselves, and their kids. I know it's been stated a thousand times, but there's a lot more to Pinewood Derby than just the race. The race is the celebration of the Father/Son doing their best together.
With Christ we are all Winners!!
Jungle Jim
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Jungle Jim »

TurtlePowered wrote:Don't forget the sellers are making Ebay money.
:oops: Now who'd forget that :wink:
Jungle Jim
Jungle Jim
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Jungle Jim »

Tomcat14 wrote:You're right, it's all in the wording. I just hope that there aren't too many people buying these things. If they are, then they're just cheating themselves, and their kids. I know it's been stated a thousand times, but there's a lot more to Pinewood Derby than just the race. The race is the celebration of the Father/Son doing their best together.
There are enough that when I see components/car come to races I always question the parent/scout how he/they were able to build such a thing.
Jungle Jim
oldfordsrule
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by oldfordsrule »

Sadly,

I must agree with Jungle Jim. We had nearly 200 cars at our district race this year. I did see several that could have been ebay cars. I saw a couple that most certainly were either ebay or purchased. Luckily, I don't think any of these cars made it to the podium- though I think one from kit components did. I guess that's OK, though not my cup of tea.

I have noticed that the field has become much more competitive, which is good. The purchased cars are no better than the good ol' home made ones.
Mike Parrish
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mike Parrish »

...when I see components/car come to races I always question the parent/scout how he/they were able to build such a thing.
IMHO, I don't think race day is the right place/time to try to call out the offenders. A: Most scout aged kids don't have the bank roll (some might) to finance most of the eBay cars, so does it help by embarrassing the child for something the parent is most likely responsible for? :cry: B: If the race official is wrong, you now have offended parents with the day tainted by the accusation of cheater. :oops:
My 2 cents worth.
Race Fast-
Mike Parrish
Parrish Racing
www.derbydayz.com
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Mike Parrish wrote:IMHO, I don't think race day is the right place/time to try to call out the offenders.
I would agree. I do though also agree with a comment that Cory made in another thread about including a rule prohibiting eBay cars (that is any prebuilt car). It may not be enforcible but some things need to be specifically stated instead of being an unwritten expectation. This will likely stop those that don't really know that doing so is a bad thing. Of course, it won't stop those bent on "winning at all costs".
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
WarpSpeedINC
Merchant
Merchant

Post by WarpSpeedINC »

Just wanted to let every body know, we like the design, but this isn't us!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 04442&rd=1

We feel the same way most do about pre-built cars, just wanted everyone to know we wouldn't sell a completed car!

Good Luck and Happy Racing!!
Warp Speed Inc.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing!
Mike Parrish
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mike Parrish »

WarpSpeedINC wrote:Just wanted to let every body know, we like the design, but this isn't us!
It doesn't look as sleek as your designs do :!:
Race Fast-
Mike Parrish
Parrish Racing
www.derbydayz.com
Barga Racing
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Barga Racing »

WarpSpeedINC wrote:Just wanted to let every body know, we like the design, but this isn't us!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 04442&rd=1

We feel the same way most do about pre-built cars, just wanted everyone to know we wouldn't sell a completed car!

Good Luck and Happy Racing!!
Warp Speed Inc.
Amazing how many people are watching WIRL and selling the designs that are fast. What a compliment Warp!
Last edited by Barga Racing on Sat May 21, 2005 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barga Racing
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Barga Racing »

We had my son's council race today. There was a car there in the Wolf division that was obviously a Derbymaster car. When I commented about how much it looked like Derbymasters cars the dad got really defensive and snapped that the car was not bought that he made it. I said that it looked really good and wanted to know how he painted the flames on. He said his brother owns a bodyshop and painted it for him. I should have asked if Derbymaster is his brother. His son won the wolf race and snatched the car up and left. He would not let anyone look at it. This same guy also showed up about an hour late. Wolfs were running behind and just getting ready to run so they hurried up and inspected it and let him run. I was debating if he was late by design so they would rush it through inspection or if he was late because he was waiting for the mail to come. :(
pwdarchitect
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pwdarchitect »

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just go out and purchase the trophy for the kid instead of bidding on one of those ebay cars that sometimes go for as much as $120.00. I mean that could really buy a nice trophy for the kid and let some other kid and dad team that put in the time and effort win the big one. Just a thought.
Barga Racing
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Barga Racing »

pwdarchitect wrote:Wouldn't it be cheaper to just go out and purchase the trophy for the kid instead of bidding on one of those ebay cars that sometimes go for as much as $120.00. I mean that could really buy a nice trophy for the kid and let some other kid and dad team that put in the time and effort win the big one. Just a thought.
Of course it would be cheaper but it would not mean anything to these people. The fact that they beat people is what they want no matter what it costs. The way the dad was prancing around afterwards made me sick, knowing that he probably bought the car. Like I told someone else " I can't prove it was a derbymaster car but I would be willing to bet on it.