When is your race?

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.

When is your race?

October
6%
November
3%
December
No votes
January
42%
February
19%
March
26%
April
3%
May
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 31

RACER X
Merchant
Merchant

When is your race?

Post by RACER X »

When is your race???

What time of the year does your group have it's races and how early do they hand out the kits?

Come on, everyone chime in, I see new names and no new posts!!!

Everyone has a voice!

See ya

Racer X :lol:
Driver of #9 "The Shooting Star"

I would like to thank my sponsors: Dremel Tool, House of Kolor paints, Craftsman Tools, Derby Worx Pro Tools & Derby Worx Pro Wheels, Micro Finish & sand paper and 3M tape.
Mike Parrish
Merchant
Merchant

Re: When is your race?

Post by Mike Parrish »

We have our Awana race in March. This year it is the 3rd week.
Race Fast-
Mike Parrish
Parrish Racing
www.derbydayz.com
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

We normally hold our race in November, about two weeks before Thanksgiving. This is usually better than trying to do it in the Spring with Awana Games, Bible Quiz, Easter, Scholarship Camp, and other activities going on. However, this year, due to church schedule conflicts, we had to move it to January 31.

We normally start selling the car kits about 2 weeks before the first workshop. We have 3 workshops (2 for construction and 1 for finishing) the 3 Saturday's prior to the race.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

I also have a poll like this and some others on my software site at http://grandprix-software-central.com/p ... hp?op=list, if you want to check out the results so far.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Wotamalo District races are scheduled for February, usually around the middle of the month. Qualifying races are usually held in the packs during January. Cars are available from our Scout Service Center shop year round, but packs get the boys rolling around November or December.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Da Graphite Kid
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Da Graphite Kid »

Our Pack's race for this year is the first week in February. We normally have it two or three weeks prior to the District race, so it is always around this time of year. Since we take the month off and hold no Pack Meeting in January, this gives everyone a chance to work on heir cars. Hopefully this year we will be have a workshop that scouts will attend. If we do well enough in our Popcorn Fundraiser, we give out car kits as presents at our December Pack Meeting - but we always start having kits available right after Thanksgiving.

Da Graphite Kid
Barga Racing
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Barga Racing »

Our pack race is around middle of March. Then districts in April and council in May if we make it that far. They usually hand out the kits in late Jan or early Feb. A local dealership sponsers the pack race and buys all the kits for everyone. However, I usually buy a couple extra because my son and I like to build 2 or 3 cars to take test day before the race. Some people complained about us building multiple cars. The Cubmaster told them that the rules say you can only race 1 car it does not say you can only build or test 1 car. So this year we may have people showing up to test with an armload of cars. We can't wait.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Wooden Wonder wrote:Our pack race is around middle of March. Then districts in April and council in May if we make it that far.
The implication is that you qualify for "district" in the pack races and you qualify for "council" in the district races. Is this correct? If so, what is the "qualification rule"? How many scouts qualify for your district races in total? And for your council races?
Stan
Barga Racing
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Barga Racing »

Every pack sends the top 3 in speed for each rank and the top 1 in each rank for design to districts. Last year there was 146 kids at our district. There are 6 districts in our council. To qualify for council you have to be in top 3 in speed in each rank. Design does not qualify for council although they do get trophies at district they just don't go any further. At council there would be 18 in each rank. They race the ranks amongst themselves and do not have an "overall" speed champion. Even so, to be among the 18 to qualify in your rank takes a pretty good car. We have been to council both years my boy has been in scouts and have a 3rd, and a 2nd. We have not been able to seal the deal yet. The fastest cars at our district are always in my boys rank. Our first year, the 5th fastest car overall did not qualify for council because 3 of the 4 cars that were faster were all in his rank. Last year my boy was 4th fastest overall and barely qualified for council because the first and 3rd fastest were in his rank making him the 3rd qualifier. It makes it alot of fun.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Wooden Wonder wrote:At council there would be 18 in each rank. They race the ranks amongst themselves and do not have an "overall" speed champion.
Interesting... this would be a total of 90 (or fewer) Scouts racing. Rather a small number for a district-wide or council-wide event. Is there much attendance besides families of competitors? How is it funded? Registration fee? or general surcharge on district entries?
Stan
TDean
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TDean »

(I'm not sure how "When is Your Race" got into the Car Construction category, but I'm easy)

Our car kits are passed out in November (paid for by the Pack).
We have an "Open Racing" day in the middle of January, where you can come out and test your car, and check out the competition (assuming you're not a last-minute builder).
Den races are held near the end of January -- we have separate races for each den (two dens per evening) for a week (we typically have 9 dens).
Then we hold the finals for the top two cars from each den on a Sunday (this is often the first week in February).

The top three cars go on to race at the Districts in mid-March (we have no Council races).

Also, the top two Best of Show cars from each den are brought to the Blue & Gold banquet where the overall winners are voted on by the boys.
TDean
RACER X
Merchant
Merchant

Post by RACER X »

I guess I did put this in the wrong catagory!!!! Whoops!!!

Just looking for something to start, everyone has been VERY QUIET and I would like to see this board work out well for everyone.
We have an "Open Racing" day in the middle of January, where you can come out and test your car, and check out the competition (assuming you're not a last-minute builder).
Den races are held near the end of January -- we have separate races for each den (two dens per evening) for a week (we typically have 9 dens).
Then we hold the finals for the top two cars from each den on a Sunday (this is often the first week in February).
This is a neat race format, I like how it streaches out the racing. We are always looking for ways to get more racing out of the cars for the kids. It kind of saddens me when they work so hard on them and only get a couple of runs and then it is over.
Driver of #9 "The Shooting Star"

I would like to thank my sponsors: Dremel Tool, House of Kolor paints, Craftsman Tools, Derby Worx Pro Tools & Derby Worx Pro Wheels, Micro Finish & sand paper and 3M tape.
MaxV
Merchant
Merchant

Post by MaxV »

Moved from 'Car Construction' category. Sorry, it took a nudge before I realized this topic should be moved.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

Our derby is scheduled after the Christmas break. The whole thing takes about a month, which puts the derby itself in February or March, depending on what other church events it is being scheduled around. The last couple years, it's been in early March.

The basic schedule we've used the last few years is

Wednesday night (day 0): Overview of derby schedule, rules, construction process; Hand out derby kits; No workshop

Saturday morning (day 3): Derby workshop

Wednesday night (day 7): Derby workshop during regular meeting

Saturday morning (day 10): Derby workshop

Wednesday night (day 14): Derby workshop during regular meeting

Saturday morning (day 17): Derby workshop

Wednesday night (day 21): Registration and impound; Minimal workshop during regular meeting

Thursday or Friday (days 22 and 23): Design judging

Saturday evening (day 24): The Derby!
Barga Racing
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Barga Racing »

Stan Pope wrote:Interesting... this would be a total of 90 (or fewer) Scouts racing. Rather a small number for a district-wide or council-wide event. Is there much attendance besides families of competitors? How is it funded? Registration fee? or general surcharge on district entries?
Stan, I guess they feel that the three fastest from each district is enough representation at council. It would be nice to have more kids, say top 5 from each district, that would mean 150 kids racing. No, there is not alot of attendance other than the racers and their families. Sometimes all the racers that qualified don't even show up. I guess some feel that getting 3rd at district they will get smoked at council and don't bother going. I feel that if the kid qualifies he should get to go because he will always remember that he made it to the next level, not so much as how bad he got beat. Besides our rules do not prevent you from reworking the car between districts and council, heck they don't even say that you have to race the actual car that you qualified with, although it is a general assumption that you are supposed to. There is a $5 charge for the districts but none for council. I think they pay for the patches and trophies out of the organizations pockets.