Pinewood Derby Men's Necktie

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
Gavin Chafin
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Pinewood Derby Men's Necktie

Post by Gavin Chafin »

Anyone have any ideas where I could purchase a Pinewood Derby Men's necktie? I'd love to wear something like that to work on the day of the races. I can't seem to find anything anywhere.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Pinewood Derby Men's Necktie

Post by Stan Pope »

Gavin Chafin wrote:Anyone have any ideas where I could purchase a Pinewood Derby Men's necktie? I'd love to wear something like that to work on the day of the races. I can't seem to find anything anywhere.
Ask at your local art supply shop about anyone talented in textile painting, specifically neckties! Then take your ideas to the artist and negotiate! Maybe you can find an artist who is single mother of a Cub Scout!
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

Gavin Chafin wrote:Anyone have any ideas where I could purchase a Pinewood Derby Men's necktie?
If you can find a lightweight fabric with an appropriate design, then it shouldn't be too difficult to turn it into a necktie. As sewing projects go, neckties are pretty easy. And they don't take much fabric.

Going with Stan's "hand-painted tie" idea, if you could find a tie with appropriate sized stripes, then an artist could use those stripes as lanes for a derby track and paint little derby cars on it.
Gavin Chafin
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Gavin Chafin »

Good ideas. After I asked, I started to think that sometimes booths at the local shopping malls will take your personal pictures and put them on stuff like coffee cups and ties. I'll have to see what I can do.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Gavin Chafin wrote:Good ideas. After I asked, I started to think that sometimes booths at the local shopping malls will take your personal pictures and put them on stuff like coffee cups and ties. I'll have to see what I can do.
Reminds me of a kind of ink-jet print media... printed (reversed) image can be ironed onto a fabric. That should cut your time down. You would need a smooth fabric tie ... an inkjet printer ... some practice ...

Incidentally, if you use this heat transfer technique, remember to put a stiff tie form (strong cardboard, etc) inside the tie. Otherwise the folds on the back side will show through.
Last edited by Stan Pope on Sat Dec 06, 2003 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stan
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

Gavin Chafin wrote:Good ideas. After I asked, I started to think that sometimes booths at the local shopping malls will take your personal pictures and put them on stuff like coffee cups and ties. I'll have to see what I can do.
The online "custom logo" shop that I'm familiar with (CafePress.com) doesn't offer neckties. There might be others that do, though.

I checked custom necktie companies on Google, and they have a minimum order of 50.
Last edited by Darin McGrew on Sat Dec 06, 2003 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gavin Chafin
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Gavin Chafin »

Hey, maybe this could be an item that Max-V could try to sell. Hint Hint!
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Gavin Chafin wrote:Hey, maybe this could be an item that Max-V could try to sell. Hint Hint!
Hey! You could be his supplier!
Stan
Gavin Chafin
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Gavin Chafin »

Hmmm...If someone were industrious, they could even go out and design and buy 50 or 100 and see how they sell on E-bay. Personally, I've bought dozens of different ties on E-bay. With as many pineheads as there are out there, I'd bet there'd be a decent market. Dads would wear the tie to work around the time of the Pinewood Derby.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

I didn't find a "pinewood derby" tie, but I did find a number of possibilities at the WildTies site:
the entire "Cars & Trucks" category
Finish Line
At The Race Track
Racing Flags
Handyman Tools
Cool Tool Sam by Dr. Seuss
Handyman Taz by Loony Toons
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

And a couple more from the ABC Neckties site:
the entire "Transportation" category
Checkered Race Flag
Andretti Race Car
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

This is off the subject, but related to wearable stuff for the race. I came across this site awhile ago that has pinewood derby neckerchiefs that can be given to the cubs or used as prizes. They have ones that indicate 1st 2nd or 3rd place or a plain one for anyone to wear.

Chief Neckerchief
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Splinter Sprinter
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Splinter Sprinter »

I have a Nicole Miller PWD tie my wife got for me a few years ago it's pretty cool, I don’t know if they are still available.

Ties.com has an Indy style type cars with checkered flags, it looks like a PWD tie.

Also Racer X they have a Speed Racer & Trixie tie.

Good Luck
Pinewood Derby- It’s not the destination, but the journey,for Two-There is no finish line!
Gavin Chafin
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Gavin Chafin »

Thanks for all the links, Darrin. Some great ties there. You got me looking. Here's a cool one:

http://www.rushties.com/Detailed/1197.html