Polishing the tread

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
doct1010
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Polishing the tread

Post by doct1010 »

I recall Warp stating for a smooth fast track he would polish the tread so it "shined like chrome" or something to that effect. Our district race is on a brandy new aluminium freedom track. Any suggestions on how to polish the tread? I've already used 0000 steel wool, very nice but not "shining like chrome". What do you use?
PWD
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Polishing the tread

Post by PWD »

I think there is differing opinions on polishing the tread. About two years ago there were a lot of dicussion on the subject. Do a search on polishing treads.

Stan will probably chime in but he is one that thought polishing the tread was not a good idea. It caused a loss of stability.
doct1010
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by doct1010 »

Thanks PWD, I recall that discussion. Alot about sliding vs. rolling friction from Sssnake I think.

I am going with a Warp reco, always safe.
2kids10horses
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by 2kids10horses »

Having raced against Warp, I have seen him in action!

He gets the wheels as clean as possible. Does not apply anything to them like graphite. He recommends 'polishing' with a paper towel!

(Between heats, I saw him scrubbing his wheels with the tail of his shirt as he took his cars from the pit area to the starting pins!)

2K10H
M7 Racing
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by M7 Racing »

Were the same way.....if we can keep the graphite off the wheels we are all for it. We like to run smooth wheels with a clean tread to avoid slipping.
VENARI
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by VENARI »

I think there is a distinct difference in putting something on the tread versus just returning the tread to it's original top quality shine.

Adding something like graphite, wax, or polish would cause the wheels to slip and slide down the track, rather than roll and 'track' down the track.

Roll is better.
GimpyPaw
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by GimpyPaw »

Track conditions need to be concidered as well. Our pack uses an old track that isn't well maintained. Dust and other debris are hazards that you run into, and to avoid picking up too much junk on the tred surface we opted to rub the treds with graphite. On a better track I'm sure I would council my son to run a clean tred.
2kids10horses
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by 2kids10horses »

Paw,

I'm sorry to hear about the condition of your track.

However, graphiting your wheels is just adding to the dust and debris on it!

Next year, volunteer to help set up the track, and clean off the dust and debris! Wipe down the track between Dens, and before "Finals".

If the emcee or check-in folks would discourage anyone from graphiting the treads, the track will stay cleaner.

I know there's no way to eliminate the graphite spillage that comes from the bores, but a little education never hurts.

Depending upon the size of your Pack, you could allow the boys to have a 'test run' (Before check-in, and NO racing against other boys) to 'break in' the graphite. Then, a final wipe down before racing should get rid of the worst of the graphite spillage.

Just some ideas...

2K10H
Mike Doyle
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Mike Doyle »

If you guys want a quick way to clean off track debris, try a Swiffer Duster. They pick up track debris very well and don't leave any lint behind, the difference between Swiffers and regular dusters is the Swiffers retain the dirt instead of just displacing it.

I bought a pack at the warehouse club and remarked to my Wife how well they cleaned the dash in our H2, she said, "I bet they'd work equally well around the house!" :P
GimpyPaw
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by GimpyPaw »

2K10H, graphite isn't what is dirty on the track. It's dirt. The previous Cub Master thought it best if he kept the track at his house (the church where we meet has a closet for the pack big enough to hold the track, but ... ). Unfortunately, the track was stored outside, under a covered patio. The graphite on the treds just helps prevent dirt, dust, dog hair, and what-ever else is on there from sticking to the tred.

This year we have a new Cub Master, and it's the same guy who built the track 15 yrs ago. He couldn't believe the condition of the track. I set it up a day in advance, thinking I would clean it up a bit. What I found was that sections of the track had warped, swelled, and even split. I spent 3 hours with glue, sandpaper and a block of wood smoothing down the bumps, removing the rough spots on the guide strips, and easing all the edges so people touching the track wouldn't get slivers of wood in their hands like I did.

I also put new rubber traction tred on the stop strips, and cut a new piece of egg crate foam for the stop barrier. This eliminated the "bounce half-way back up the track" effect that would send cars flying. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to do much more than dust it off with a feather duster before the race. All the cars ran A LOT better this year, but I did notice my son's car picked up a bit of "something" in the wheel bore of one wheel. Where it once ran smoothly, it now makes a click-click noise when spinning.

Good thing he tuned a set of back-up wheels to get ready for the next race.
2kids10horses
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by 2kids10horses »

Paw,

That sounds aweful!

Sorry to hear about the condition of the track!

There are several commercial tracks available now, and you guys might want to consider replacing it if it is as bad as you say.

If not, maybe you could design some "snowplow" cars to run before the race to clear the track!

Good luck in the next round!

2K10H
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

2kids10horses wrote:Having raced against Warp, I have seen him in action!

He gets the wheels as clean as possible. Does not apply anything to them like graphite. He recommends 'polishing' with a paper towel!

(Between heats, I saw him scrubbing his wheels with the tail of his shirt as he took his cars from the pit area to the starting pins!)
2K10H
Hope it wasn't his good "Sunday go to meetin'" shirt.

I agree with the clean, graphite free crowd.

Smoooooth - good. Sliiiiippery - not good.
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby
2kids10horses
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by 2kids10horses »

Bubba,

Warp was wearing his "I'll kick your @$$ shirt!"

No, Warp is a great guy and very willing to share his ideas, techniques and knowledge, while STILL beating you to the finish line!

My son loves to tell folks that he raced against the guy who built the fastest PWD car. We didn't beat him, but we raced him fair and square!

2K10H
hwsjr
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by hwsjr »

If there is graphite on the tread that doesn't come off with a paper towel scrubbing, what is the best way to get it off?
2kids10horses
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by 2kids10horses »

Ya got me there! We ran some test runs on the Church's track last night, and all the accumulated graphte came off with just a paper towel scrubbing!

If you have intentionally graphited, and now you want to remove it, I' not sure what will remove it better than a few trips down the track!

We use vegetable oil to get graphite off car bodies, I suppose that would get it off the tread, but then you're faced with the problem of how to get the oil off!

At this point, I'd just use the paper towel, and not worry about it.

By the way, running clean wheels down the track, and then studying the accumulated graphite on the tread tells you whether your wheels are level, canted, shimmying, flat, etc.

So, after our test runs, we examined the wheels. We have to run 4 wheels touching, the dominant front wheel barely picked up any debris, the non-dominant one even less. (That shows we are really light on the front.) Both rear wheels were pretty heavily soiled, but evenly. Both rear tires equally soiled and evenly across the treads. Which is what we would want. (Not to be soiled, but if we HAVE to be soiled, we'd want it to be even. That shows us that our alignment is good!) If you want to run canted, then the soil line should be just on the edge of the tire.

2K10H